What's new

Penguin hypothetical

shags38

Top Contributor
Say Google zapped a site through its Penguin update for excessive keyword density.
Hypothetically speaking if the content of the zapped site was re-worked to be absolutely within the guidelines and the new "clean, white hat" content was then published and re-launched under a different domain, would it still be picked up by Google? Ostensibly the content/structure of the new site is the same as the old site but it doesn't contravene the keyword density guidelines.

I ask the question because I know someone who has a friend who inadvertently had excessive keyword density on one of his sites and Penguin zapped it - so just inquiring on behalf of a mates friend (well that isn't quite accurate as I don't have any mates but you get the drift). This friend of an aquaintance figures he would be wasting his (or her) time asking Google to reconsider his site.

cheers,
Mike

apparently this friend of an aquaintance is allergic to Pandas and Penquins and has nightmares about them

findtim

Top Contributor
i can't see how google could compare them, its a new domain, playing by the rules ! what could their problem be?

tim

James

Top Contributor
Depends how similar the new content is, If the content has been 1st indexed on one website then you take the content and use it on another site it can be duplicate content.

It all comes down to how much "your friend" changes the content I would have for 70% uniqueness.

The thing is if the content is not readable to "humans" then you can be in trouble, Google is cracking down on every thing at the moment.

shags38

Top Contributor
Penguin is about links shags, nothing to do with keyword density.

Depends on who you talk to or what you read General, not to say that links may not be or are not a component of the logarithm.

I have lost two sites to Penguin, both happened to be movie sites and keyword density on both were very high indeed (18-21% for main keywords/keyword phrases). One site has 252k links from 310 domains whilst the other has 42k links from 140 domains.

Keyword Density: I got careless and didn't use the keyword density checker in my CMS program - my own fault - I was too busy pumping out sites to take a breath and check this.

Links: links as per Google Webmaster Tools. Links are all but a few from some of my other domains the greater majority of which are parked. "Parked" is the term I use however it may have different interpretations by different people and different parking sites? The domains are at what was WhyPark which is now DomainApps.com as of about 6 months ago. WhyPark sites were "content" sites but also with cpc revenue source (became pitiful after Panda).

As content sites you could put as many links as you wanted on your sites ... so I did ....... and you can elect home page or entire site (articles pages that you nominate to be part of the site - up to 40 pages I think) for the links to show. All the links were to some of my other sites so some parked sites have links to say 100 of my other sites and those links showing on say up to 40 pages on that site. Hence the high volume of links. Some sites have 4000 plus links to the same page on the one site!

The links are to content that is all .cfm files so Google cannot find them anyway as I found out when taking some sites away from WhyPark and actually developing them ...... thousands of cannot find errors in WMT.

I now elect to have the links on "home page only", alleviating this specific issue.

Now the other issue, the Very Important BIG ISSUE is does Google view this as black hat link building?? The links become a pyramid for want of a better term but probably more correctly a series of reciprocal links. Now whilst reciprocal links are not worth as much juice as they used to be and are largely ignored these days they are by the same token not regarded as black hat, just largely disregarded.

None of the links are paid links... bonus. Google should see that all the sites linking to each other are registered/owned by the same entity which could on one hand be interpreted as a link building farm but on the other hand far too small an operation for that and that some sites are sold or dropped or developed at regular intervals, hardly the practice of a link farmer.

If interestingly Penguin is about links then I have live sites with far more links (upwards of 800k) than the two that were sandboxed and they are not affected (one could say "yet" I suppose however the algorithm is in place and the sites I am talking about are crawled daily).

In respect to the links on WhyPark (DomainApps) - I now know the links from my parked sites to my parked sites are of little value and particularly being on every page so I am going through the very slow and tedious process of altering the links placement on all theses sites, link by bloody link, and crying tears of blood as I do so as I think about the many hundreds of hours spent putting the links in place, again one by one.

In any case "such if life" (the last words Ned Kelly uttered as they put the noose around his neck) - probably guilty on both counts General but it is not exactly cut and dried, typical of all other Google SEO things.

Thanks for all your input to date.
Shags

p.s. be forewarned ... I am starting a new thread about Keywords :D

shags38

Top Contributor

Jonathan - so having watched that video how do I sue Matt Cutts for plaguerism ? (spellcheck).

But you are right - it actually answers all my SEO questions- I have now decided to give up web development and go on search of the holy grail ..... Matt is drawing me the map.

By the way - Panda was offsite issues, i.e backlinks etc. Penguin is "On Page Over Optimization", i.e. keyword density primarily.

watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nmo3z8pHX1E

cheers,
shags

payattention

Archived Member
You have your pandas and your penguins mixed up. Panda = onsite crappy content. Penguin - links that look shady even if that's not the case.

Last edited:

shags38

Top Contributor
You have your pandas and your penguins mixed up. Panda = onsite crappy content. Penguin - links that look shady even if that's not the case.

If that is the case I have just spent hours deleting useless crappy content from sites that weren't affected by Panda - back to the drawing board. Luckily I backed up the files so I will just restore. And the steep decline in analytics stats like visitors and impressions that plummeted on the 24th/25th and the fact that my site(s) do not show up in search results at all were obviously illusions.

Now all I have to do is get rid of the shady links, put back the crappy content and my site will be restored to its former glory :)

Thanks for the heads up General.:confused:

tsk, tsk, tsk General ......... watch the video before you embarrass yourself further.:rolleyes:

payattention

Archived Member
I don't need to watch it shags because I know Panda was about content and Penguin is about links. Why would Panda sink content farms if it was about links? Why would Penguin sink quality sites if it was about content?

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member