What's new

Packer gets further into the website goldmine

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I think if 40 million is on the cards he would have very a good due diligence team in place.
I wouldn't be so sure. He has bombed a lot of money in the past - even with a "good" due diligence team in place.

He bankrupted One.Tel.

Went to Las Vegas to get involved in the property development over there - lost his shirt.

Was worth $7.25B in 2007, today is net worth is $4.5B.

If anything Packer buying is probably a sign that the coupon industry is at a top rather than a beginning of a "new era" and to be honest I think there is a lot of mania going around about the "potential" of these businesses.

I'm not saying there isn't a market there and businesses can make good money in these industries - but they aren't goldmines - because unlike gold - they don't make anything tangible, they are everywhere and are difficult to defend. There's no brand loyalty like there is to brands like Apple, Coca Cola, Google, Nintendo, because there is no restriction on who an individual buys their coupons from.

;)

So in a situation where businesses don't produce anything of sustainable "value" and don't have a method of locking out competition a race to the bottom is inevitable.

Also I read not long ago Groupon is looking to make an IPO for $25B with $460M in revenue.

That gives it a PE of 54 on a business model that hasn't existed at scale for 3 years!

Um can anyone else spell - BUBBLE. Let's hope the rest of the tech industry doesn't get caught up in it again.

Last edited:

James

Top Contributor
He didn't lose heaps in Las Vagas only a bit on some failed developments, I think the Macau venture was not the best. But his father was interested in media assets he is into gaming assets.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
He didn't lose heaps in Las Vagas only a bit on some failed developments, I think the Macau venture was not the best. But his father was interested in media assets he is into gaming assets.
I'm pretty sure he lost virtually everything in Los Vegas, but Macua is still doing OK.

payattention

Archived Member
How much have you lost/made in Las Vegas and Macau development cncventure? :)

Crown is going from strength to strength; he isn't all bad as you would suggest. Good on him for getting involved. Rising tide and all that stuff....

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Maybe he needs to pick up a nice big domain portfolio & build it out to compete also with Fairfax and www.omg.com.au

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Yeah i know he lost alot in Vagas lol, but he still has like 4 billion lol.
Still $3B less than his father gave him...

:rolleyes:

How much have you lost/made in Las Vegas and Macau development cncventure? :)
Zero - but then again I don't like to gamble much. Taking a calculated risk is a whole other matter.

;)

Crown is going from strength to strength; he isn't all bad as you would suggest. Good on him for getting involved. Rising tide and all that stuff....
Relativity matters - and a rising tide lifts all ships.

Thus far James has started with a large "inherited" fortune and turned it into something smaller.

:eek:

I'm not implying he's all bad, but credit where credit is due - he is still earning his stripes as a Packer and as I mentioned above - with his track record him buying into the coupon business is just as likely a sign of a top as it is a sign of boom times to come.

If Warren Buffett was investing in Groupon I'd be scrambling to get myself in on the action, but Warren's earned his reputation.

aZiAm

Does Packer own all the carsales, bikesales businesses?

Does Packer own all the carsales, bikesales, boatsales, businesses?

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Last edited:

courier

I love how in the article it they cant even get Sydney right : The Sidney Daily Telegraph. We should all be happy there are some bigger funds rolling into the ecom game. However agree we need to be cautious as to notcause another bubble. The apps are my biggest worry

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo