What's new

Over valuing domains?

morganp

Has anyone else found a lot of people over value their domains, in the past week i have enquired about 4-5 different two word domains.

They were decent keywords although i doubt they would receive any type in traffic so would only be beneficial for SEO purposes and every single reply i got an unrealistic purchase price.

I was happy to pay Mid to High $x,xxx but still got knocked back.

Why do people hold onto these domains, not develop them then when someone is willing to purchase put a price that no one is going to pay?

<end vent>

cherrytron

Top Contributor
Might be the first offer they have received. They will base all future offers from there, but you've given them a place to start. Unfortunately, they will probably only accept double what you've offered now lol. Others will also accept half of what you offered 12 months later and be forever wishing they didn't delete your email.

James

Top Contributor
It is their domain so I guess they can do what they want with it mate...

But yeah I guess any domain which they get offers on they will probably think it is worth something decent and they will just sit back and wait for more.

cherrytron

Top Contributor
Yep I agree. Best bet is to make a few more offers over the next 12 months, maybe as different people, and low ball from your original offer to make it look special :)

Honan

Top Contributor
Perhaps you could send them this message
"Congratulations! deluded.com.au is available!"

cherrytron

Top Contributor
$450 for JoustingSticks.com.au? Tell him he's dreaming!

BTW that is available, it couldn't be worth more that $250 but if you get it for half that price, it's a bargain.

;)

Honan

Top Contributor
$450 for JoustingSticks.com.au? Tell him he's dreaming!

BTW that is available, it couldn't be worth more that $250 but if you get it for half that price, it's a bargain.

;)
LOL

.. domaining is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Happens both ways, sellers ask too much, buyers offer too little, without knowing the domains very hard to say anything about it.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Has anyone else found a lot of people over value their domains, in the past week i have enquired about 4-5 different two word domains.

They were decent keywords although i doubt they would receive any type in traffic so would only be beneficial for SEO purposes and every single reply i got an unrealistic purchase price.

I was happy to pay Mid to High $x,xxx but still got knocked back.

Why do people hold onto these domains, not develop them then when someone is willing to purchase put a price that no one is going to pay?

<end vent>

Thats life.... I want this beautiful house on the beach and keep making offers but the bastards wont sell it to me for what Im offering!

The fact is.. its their domain name you are trying to buy.. if they dont want to sell it for what you offered they dont have to..dont get too worried why they wont sell etc.. some people never sell anything.. even when the price is high.

Theres a pizza shop paddington sydney who got offered millions for the pizza shop but they really wanted his business name ' Arthurs Pizza" The owner refused to sell for the millions and has the story on his shop window. To everyone but the pizza shop owner its crazy he did not sell for such a massive price...he could have easily bought 20 Pizza shops with the money..but the fact is its his choice! No use trying to understand it.

cherrytron

Top Contributor
I think the most important thing to remember is, if the person registered from day 1, they are probably paying $25 (ish) per annum to hold on to something they think could some day be worth infinity.

If you were paying $25 a year to own one "share" in something and someone offered you mid to high $x,xxx would you be in a hurry to sell if you didn't need that money?

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo