What's new

Online Backup

Ash

Top Contributor
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here is using an online backup service they are happy with and would recommend?

I've got about 140gb of family photos that I would like to keep safe. I've got an external hard drive but I would like an offsite option as well. Had my hand in my pocket to pay for BackBlaze this morning but then found a couple of unfavourable reviews so I'm back to the drawing board.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
I've heard Amazon S3 is simply unbeatable! Never used it personally though, my backups are low volume and carried on: Hard Drive, External Hard Drive, DropBox, USB I carry everywhere.

BenWalker

Top Contributor
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here is using an online backup service they are happy with and would recommend?

I've got about 140gb of family photos that I would like to keep safe. I've got an external hard drive but I would like an offsite option as well. Had my hand in my pocket to pay for BackBlaze this morning but then found a couple of unfavourable reviews so I'm back to the drawing board.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I use a combination of Norton Online Backup and Drop Box. Neither has ever had any major problems.

However mine is more towards 30gb. Not sure what can cater for such a big limit at a resonable price.

Hotmail Skydrive does free 25gigs too

Google is about to release their own too in the next few weeks. I think its called GDrive

zhenjie

Top Contributor
What sort of features do you require? A backup service that syncs new files, clones the drive, etc (I use Crashplan) or just a simpler file sharing system like Dropbox.

Ash

Top Contributor
Thanks for the replies.

Scott: I have heard Amazon S3 is good also, however I would like the files to backup automatically so I don't need to think about it and I don't think Amazon offer this. I'd also like to be able to know in advance the cost of the backup whereas Amazon's seems to scale depending on usage.

Ben: Thanks - I do use dropbox for some work related files but far too small for my family photos unfortunately. Same with the other options you mention.

Zhenjie: I'm looking for something that will take the hassle out of backing up, so I think something like Crashplan is what I'm looking for (I have considered MyPC backup but I'm not sure if it's just being promoted for it's affiliate scheme, and I was just about prepared to pay for BackupBlaze but I read a few reviews that said support was rubbish when you needed it). So you would recommend CrashPlan?

Thanks again.

sp@rky13

Top Contributor
I'd be going with either Crashplan or dropbox. From memory, crashplan is far cheaper though is only backup and not syncing (suits your needs though)

Ash

Top Contributor
Thanks, just signed up for a couple of years with CrashPlan. The fact they keep the files always available cinched the deal - others I had been looking at required you to login at least every 30 days.

zerohaze

I have heard Amazon S3 is good also, however I would like the files to backup automatically so I don't need to think about it and I don't think Amazon offer this.

We use Zmanda Cloud Back Up , simply install the software, configure the backup, you can schedule when ever the backup is too take place, and all of your content will be backed up to Amazon S3.

I have it setup so a full backup is carried out every 30 days, and an incremental backup every 15 minutes (saves on upload usage).

The restore is simple as well.

Joel

Top Contributor
I personally use SyncBack Pro for backup to NAS on local network. However, the same software supports cloud storage like Amazon S3, Azure and Google Storage, but I can't vouch for that part of the software as I don't use it.

tw33teboid

cloudbackup

hey ash. not sure if you have already found something.

cloudbackup.net.au are aus based and can seed that 140GB on a usb drive. $306 a year for 150GB

cheers

tb

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
HI Ash

I have two Articles that would be worth a read for you from Ars Technica

Both articles (and services) have only been released in the last few days so very breaking information. Worth a read for your consideration.

Google Drive

Microsoft SkyDrive

Ash

Top Contributor
Thanks guys.

The update to SkyDrive looks nice (considering I got the upgrade to 25gb for free :))

Do you think the introduction of these services is enough to knock dropbox off their perch? I really like the dropbox service and use it a lot but I don't think I would consider it for backup - Google Drive might be suitable for that but sounds quite expensive.

Crashplan ended up costing about $100 for 2 years with unlimited storage and it seems Google Drive would cost me about $180/yr to cover my storage needs at the moment.

sp@rky13

Top Contributor
I'll continue using Dropbox as it works great for me but the only way I can is that I have 10.9GB of free storage. 2GB on the other hand is far too small. In saying that, there's no way they could offer it for free if they offered that much standard free.

findtim

Top Contributor
i currently have 2.5 TB of backup inhouse, how on earth am i going to get that to the "cloud" ?

tim

Ash

Top Contributor
i currently have 2.5 TB of backup inhouse, how on earth am i going to get that to the "cloud" ?

tim

Some of them have a setup process which includes provision of a hard drive that you load all your stuff on and send to them to put it on their servers.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member