What's new

.nz opens up second-level registrations

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Media release - 11 October 2013

The Council of InternetNZ (Internet New Zealand Inc) has today approved a policy proposal from subsidiary Domain Name Commission Ltd to allow domain names to be registered at the second level in the .nz domain name space, giving New Zealanders even more choice in getting online.

By allowing registrations at the second level, people and organisations will be able to register theirname.nz instead of theirname.co.nz or theirname.net.nz(the current system, which allows registrations at the third level only).

InternetNZ President Dr Frank March says this move fits with InternetNZ’s principles and aligns the .nz domain name space with a majority of other top level domains that already allow registrations directly at the second level.
“A major principle for us is that the choice for registrants should be maintained and expanded, this move will provide a useful expansion” said Dr March.

Domain Name Commission Chair David Farrar agrees, saying "This change will enable greater choice for people, companies and organisations wanting to get online or expand their online presence.
“This decision will future-proof the .nz domain name space and help it stay relevant to New Zealanders.”

No changes are being made to existing second levels - all existing domain names will continue to be available, and people will still be able to register new domain names in the current second level categories like .co.nz, .org.nz. This change will provide new choices and options for New Zealand domain name registrants once it comes into effect.

The final proposal to make this change to the .nz domain name space was reached after two rounds of consultation starting May 2012, analysis of public opinion, and extensive discussion with interested parties.

A final policy implementing the proposal will be subject to public consultation in 2014.

http://dnc.org.nz/story/new-level-internet-domain-names-provide-more-choice-online-new-zealanders

findtim

Top Contributor
thanks for posting that FPR, i'd be really interested to hear your opinion on it.

I own only a few .co.nz domains, but ones I want to protect, so am I now in a "sunrise race" ?

anyone reading this just think about .com.au turning into .au !

tim

PS: I just love how they "spin it" that its actually better for everyone, BS

findtim

Top Contributor
i'm just going to put a footnote to my post, I have been trying to buy a certain domain in NZ and the guy and i can't meet on price, he wants more zeros then I think its worth.

SO now, I think to myself " hey, why bother, I'll just work out how to get the .nz before him "

true story, he wants 30K so anything below that is a bargain.... isn't it ? and then his business is dead and I get all the "search bleed" ORRRR does it take 10 years to covert people to the new "none .co.nz" ? in which case he gets my bleed? each way its a money grab.

this will be a S^*T fight, I hope the auda pay attention

tim

Tim

Registrations at the second level were raised in the last Names Policy Panel (2010) and the Panel said: "Recommendation 1H
The Panel recommends that direct registrations under .au not be allowed at this time.
"

There wasn't support for registrations at the second level. You can read the recommendations of the Panel here. David Lye, myself and Simon Johnson were all members of this Panel (all of us DNTrade members). This is one example of why DNTrade members need to get involved in the Panel process.

johno69

Top Contributor
Maybe this is a time to try offload your more premium .co.nz's before the end users are aware of this change coming in.

I have a few if anyone wants to gamble with them.

On the flip side it will be interesting to see how they handle the whole process.

Be pretty sweet to have some .nz domains.

findtim

Top Contributor
Maybe this is a time to try offload your more premium .co.nz's before the end users are aware of this change coming in.

I have a few if anyone wants to gamble with them.

On the flip side it will be interesting to see how they handle the whole process.

Be pretty sweet to have some .nz domains.

ummm, so offload that great .co.nz domain then buy the same in .nz ?

sell pubs.co.nz, take the money because the guy doesn't know what's happening down the track, then reg pubs.nz because the guy you sold the .co.nz to doesn't know how to ?

now I KNOW, johno69 is NOT that kind of person, this point is for everyone, these are the problems we will all have to face, especially those with MANYYY domians

tim

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
This all sounds very familiar, .co.uk...

I've got two .co.nz, both for brand protection (businesses related to the region). If I was an investor/speculator in the extension I'd be pretty pissed off.

There is no valid reason in my opinion to take this action, there is already plenty of options in the NZ domain space - this is a blatant money-grab.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
thanks for posting that FPR, i'd be really interested to hear your opinion on it.

I think they want to keep .nz relevant due to the pending .kiwi gTLD.

They also introduced .kiwi.nz a little over 12 months ago to try and hinder .kiwi it seems, but it was pretty poorly received:

Mr Dickie says the new .kiwi.nz* had its one-year anniversary last month and more than 25% of domains weren't renewed, leaving it with just 1.2% market share, compared to .co.nz which dominates with 83%.

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
So it doesn't matter that going by international experience registrants much prefer to be able to register domain names at the second level? The problem with the vast majority of people here is they only think of their own backyard and not what could be of benefit to the wider community.

There are many ways to manage a transition to registrations at the second level. And .nz haven't announced how they will do it yet. So speculation on what they will do is just that. And if you think you will be able to get the domain you want before the existing registrant, you may be VERY disappointed.

findtim

Top Contributor
So it doesn't matter that going by international experience registrants much prefer to be able to register domain names at the second level? The problem with the vast majority of people here is they only think of their own backyard and not what could be of benefit to the wider community.

There are many ways to manage a transition to registrations at the second level. And .nz haven't announced how they will do it yet. So speculation on what they will do is just that. And if you think you will be able to get the domain you want before the existing registrant, you may be VERY disappointed.

ahhhh friday again, just when I thought you would let me down you come in and make assumptions, if you read all the relative discussion on this you will find there is a strong view that if at all we just don't want our own domains not harmed, I don't own thousands and most don't but the ones me do we value.

So its generally completely the opposite of your statement, I am certainly not looking to race and grab backpackers.au , I want the guy who owns the .com.au to be GIVEN it, yes GIVEN, otherwise this change is not for the good of the people its a money grab.

If I did have 10, 000 .com.au's then I would expect to be given 10,000 .au and have it made a grandfather clause so I NEVER pay a renewal.

If they do it then let it be for future purchases of domains and not letting the people who have been told for yearsssssssssssss to register their domain anme but now have just woken UP and are crying poor.

see ya next Friday

tim

Shane

Top Contributor
Personally I'm looking forward to switching our NZ business websites over to the shorter extension.

I can see how it would be an issue for those with big portfolios, but to be honest I won't be shedding a tear for them.

Second level domains work great in plenty of European countries, and I'd love to switch my Australian business domains over to a simple .au.

Sure I'd have to cough up a heap of money if I wanted to register my whole portfolio at the second level (which I'd probably do), but I don't think the added expense for domainers is a valid reason for not doing it.

findtim

Top Contributor
Sure I'd have to cough up a heap of money if I wanted to register my whole portfolio at the second level (which I'd probably do), but I don't think the added expense for domainers is a valid reason for not doing it.

ohh come on , did every one miss my pun on

SO now, I think to myself " hey, why bother, I'll just work out how to get the .nz before him "

shane you won't be "switching over", you will have to fight for them and having to pay is just beyond stupidity in my view, its a money grab.

how can someone wake up tomorrow and have a good chance at getting my "dubbodentist.com.au" as a .au ?

SURE, they will call it a "sunrise" period etc, but you still pay, and you have built your online brands for years, spent thousands of $ getting it there and someone else gets to bid !!!

a few say this is just speculation, I think its obvious, the .com.au and the .net.au owners will be at war.

but I don't think the added expense for domainers is a valid reason for not doing it.

well as I have said before , I don't speak just for myself, I speak for many SMB's and I think for the country town guy that owns his domain its RUDE for him to now have to secure another and PAY for it, after all its only going to then get redirected and he will have to pay me to do that and I don't want that charge for them.

I've said it all before so I will stop,

tim

MCUH

Hi,

Firstly, some great comments here and many things to consider.

Remember, debate is healthy, criticism isn’t and it doesn’t help anyone on this forum.

My Perspectives:

Based upon what I read there are a few perspectives emanating from the previous posts that I would like to highlight.

1. Do I offload? This depends on how you view the changes; yes we could view these changes as bad and from a business perspective it will cost you if you want to protect your business. Then again, if the registrar doesn’t have a legitimate right to owning the domain and is encroaching on your business then give them hell.

2. Buying up some more domains is most likely a business or investment decision; analysing why you would buy based on either of these decisions will depend on how PROFITABLE the purchase could be.

3. It may ruin or mess up your SEO and search results but in my opinion it won’t and I’ve only included this as food for thought. The NZ market has had some big sales but it’s also mediocre at the best of times so why sweat the small stuff? Who here is accidentally assuming .NZ will be worth more than .CO.NZ? If so, maybe you need to rethink what your assumptions are based upon…

4. If you are open minded and support business then more business is better for the economy and that’s as simple as it is. If there’s more competition then it’s a good thing because it will make those who are serious become better and those who are mediocre, fade away. It will generate more $ for the NZ economy and this isn’t a bad thing.

General Comments:
I agree that this change could be interpreted as a bad move from the Council of InternetNZ but my interpretation leads me to believe that it’s for the collective and those who are against this move need to reconsider their plan/strategy. I too like most of you have made a few purchases of .CO.NZ domains and at this point I am not concerned but maybe that’s me being naïve…

FYI - Here are Some of My Best .CO.NZ Domains:
www.cerebralpalsy.co.nz
www.cystitis.co.nz
www.euthanasia.co.nz
www.gonorrhoea.co.nz
www.laryngitis.co.nz
www.multiplesclerosis.co.nz
www.sparklingwine.co.nz
www.tonsillitis.co.nz
www.ulcers.co.nz
www.parkour.co.nz

David Goldstein

Top Contributor
Your ignorance Tim just astounds me. There are many ways to change policies and allow for registrations at the second level. And one way is that, for example in .au, existing .com.au registrants could be given the corresponding .au name.

A consultation process (Names Policy Panel in .au) could discuss this. Put forward scenarios. And eventually come to a conclusion.

It's not rocket science.

findtim

Top Contributor
registrants could be given the corresponding .au name.

I'm not happy with "could" .

could / may / soon are all words at the political level which never turn into WILL

it seems people say a lot about what they never intend to do and KNOW at the time they are saying it they never intend to do it.

as for my "ignorance" I agree, my understanding of the process is very poor, all I can say is how I feel about the difficulty of the average domain owner even knowing that the AUDA exists ! this type of SMB which I represent and try to protect their interests has no clue what is potentially happening.

I am just the average JOE that knows a little, enough to ask some questions and speak for the other JOES, nothing more, nothing less but nobody has come forward with any answers.

At the moment its all political mumbo jumbo "we know best " type crap.

So "ignorance" is due to the "arrogance" of the ones in control.

of ALL the potential voters , owners of a domain in Australia the auda elections come down to being elected with a miniscule amount of votes for each elected member, my local golf club gets more votes for board members !

please everyone make sure you understand fully my words, these are not just mine, I am speaking for my client base and my only intent is to protect them.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member