What's new

Number Plates v Domains

James

Top Contributor
Worst thing you can do is purchase a number late from a police confiscated auction.

I use to be quite into BMW's and one guy in the BMW club actually purchased one from a confiscated police auction for his car.
HE parked it in Sydney one day and came back too see the car all smashed up.
Reason been the ex owner was probably a drug dealer/ pissed some one off and they easily remembered the plates and thought hey he has a new car..

But to be honest looking at the plates they have for sale nothing is really that good, too many numbers in them...

Shane

Top Contributor
The only plates you can compare with domains are the heritage plates, just like the ones Max has pointed out.

I established the site Qplate.com.au which deals in Qld heritage plates ("q plates") however I sold it a few years back. It's one of the many sites and/or domains that I regret selling!

The prices can seem crazy from the outside looking in, but they've been a pretty solid investment over the years.

But I think the comparison is very good in one respect, and that's that people not involved can think the prices are completely outrageous at the top end of number plates as well as domains.

James

Top Contributor
N.S.W black and white plate: 439
passed in
$85,000 - $95,000 est value ..

N.S.W B&W plate: 180-006
sold. $14,759

July 24th 2011

http://www.shannons.com.au/pages/auctions/lot.jsp?id=D36DCX9757191W56

July 10th

VIC b&w plate: 375
sold
$50,000

http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/lot/?id=B35R824V63FB7F7F

VIC plate: 887
sold

$51,000

http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/lot/?id=OD3E43M5WG8H60AL

http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/?id=WA98WE9B3184PS9W&page=1

Yeah exclusive plates like 8, 88, 888 all go for big money.

On the other hand plates like

RU18QT (Are You 18 Cutie) only have a limited market with a limited budget!!

neddy

Top Contributor
I established the site Qplate.com.au which deals in Qld heritage plates ("q plates") however I sold it a few years back. It's one of the many sites and/or domains that I regret selling!

The prices can seem crazy from the outside looking in, but they've been a pretty solid investment over the years.

But I think the comparison is very good in one respect, and that's that people not involved can think the prices are completely outrageous at the top end of number plates as well as domains.

You're a man of many talents One! :)

I know next to nothing about number plates and their value - other than what you read sometimes.

But there are some definite similarities between plates and domains - good single word generics or special significant numbers do sell for good prices (whether they be plates or domains). Though to my untrained eye it seems that number plates achieve far higher prices than domains.

One question though. Can you get into trouble for buying a TM number plate (like you can with domains)? I notice a NSW plate "GUCCI" sold for $20k. (Or are you ok if you have the surname Gucci"?)

Last edited:

Max

Top Contributor
You're a man of many talents One! :)

I know next to nothing about number plates and their value - other than what you read sometimes.

But there are some definite similarities between plates and domains - good single word generics or special significant numbers do sell for good prices (whether they be plates or domains). Though to my untrained eye it seems that number plates achieve far higher prices than domains.

One question though. Can you get into trouble for buying a TM number plate (like you can with domains)? I notice a NSW plate "GUCCI" sold for $20k.

Thats a good question .. i dont think that ones ever been tested in an Australian court ...

Pure vanity plates can be worth considerable money as well .. example:

HSV

GTO

ect ..

I have never seen a car brand name plate though ..

FORD

HOLDEN

nina

Top Contributor
Just got an email from Grays Online re a personalised number plate auction (seized by Vic Police).

It's interesting to compare number plates to domain names value wise.

And misspellings on number plates achieve good dollars. ;)

http://www.graysonline.com/sale/310...toria-police?link=numberplate+hero&email=1802

Oh man I want one ... ILUVYA - I just want it bad... *sigh* but my husband says .. is that before or after the new kitchen, the new tv.. the spa fixed, the new bike, the couch, the retaining wall or what?.. I just want, want want!

Nina

payattention

Archived Member
meh.. I don't see the appeal or value in these? Why can the cops just take them? I assume they are confiscated as part of proceeds of crime?

Then again.. I don't own a car so I wouldn't have much use for a number plate.

I remember like 10 years ago there was some guy in the papers that had THE-WEB or something similar and wanted an outlandish amount of money for it.

James

Top Contributor
The only plates you can compare with domains are the heritage plates, just like the ones Max has pointed out.

Hehe nice site,

I like the one Q3 - one a corolla lol..

seeing this one:

Q2$280 000PPQ auction - [passed in]

nina

Top Contributor
meh.. I don't see the appeal or value in these? Why can the cops just take them? I assume they are confiscated as part of proceeds of crime?

Then again.. I don't own a car so I wouldn't have much use for a number plate.

I remember like 10 years ago there was some guy in the papers that had THE-WEB or something similar and wanted an outlandish amount of money for it.

I think the cops use the proceeds somehow but not sure how it's done, and I don't think I'd go for the dealer plates. I've looked at personal number plates for years but not found anything that is not taken and not wanky. I just like to look at them and think about how cool it would be to own something personalised. But I can't seem to bring myself to even pay the standard initial cost for the plates, let alone pay those incredibly inflated vanity prices.

I wonder if that guy ever sold his theweb number plates.

Nina

Scott.L

Top Contributor
I have never seen a car brand name plate though ..

Yeah, its difficult to get car brands but I picked up a couple of generics awhile back 92GTR, V8AUTO, V6AUTO, dunno if its worth anything...

number plates are good, typically from NSW and VIC, particularly 1, 2 and 3 digit heritage plates.

A couple of my mates bought them a few years back for $25,000 each, and one had an offer of $80,000 not to long ago - both 3 number heritage plates.

I agree with James' earlier post, I wouldnt touch the grays online ones, an aggrieved owner may take issue with you putting it on your car :)

James

Top Contributor
Yeah, its difficult to get car brands but I picked up a couple of generics awhile back 92GTR, V8AUTO, V6AUTO, dunno if its worth anything...

Thing is but who wants to let the world know that they are driving an AUTO???

snoopy

Top Contributor
Thing is but who wants to let the world know that they are driving an AUTO???

Sounds like the equivalent of "reg fee" domains.

I doubt it is worth "registering" plates as an investment versus buying at a auction/aftermarket.

DavidL

Top Contributor

...despite the fact domains actually have a business-related use and plates don't.

Shane

Top Contributor
Vanity plates are rarely worth much unless they're really top shelf single words. I was at the auction when BENTLEY sold for a shade under $100k, although that had the added bonus of being a seven character plate, which up until recently in Qld were only released at a rate of one per year at the annual auctions.

Single and double character vanity plates are also worth money, but we're not talking ridiculous amounts.

I don't think that's a fair comparison. Heritage plates have been increasing in value steadily over a very long period of time. Here in Qld number 1 (Q1) sold for $100k all the way back in 1985. Back then you could have bought a decent house for that money.

Sounds like the equivalent of "reg fee" domains.

I doubt it is worth "registering" plates as an investment versus buying at a auction/aftermarket.
Agree 100%.

I used to have a number plate classifieds website, and every now and then I would have someone list a dozen or more plates for sale that they had just registered. Generally they were absolute rubbish, and the seller wanted stupid money for them when in truth they weren't even worth their reg fee.

I guess the difference is that reg fee for plates (especially in Qld) is waaaay higher than reg fee for a domain!

James

Top Contributor
you probably not not even register well know companies..

Same as you can not register rude words.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member