What's new

New Drop System

neddy

Top Contributor
I prefer the old also.

It's actually turned me off going there daily.

I've always been a compulsive bidder (Don and I are starting Domainers Anonymous), however I am absolutely disenchanted by this latest version. So much so that I haven't had a bid for 3 days. :eek:

I.M.H.O., the original had a lot going for it - and if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Honan

Top Contributor
Can anyone let me know if they experienced any performance issues with the new platform, speedwise?

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew
The fewer bidders the better for me.
Thank all the guys at Fab for arranging that
Just logging in now to place a bid on spitthedummy.com.au
Cheers
Joe

soj

Founder
The best thing about showing bids was that it would usually pick up on domains that I would have missed, so I could bid on them. You would think that the extra bidding would bring in more revenue, than not showing bids?

Chumby

Top Contributor
Not happening for me

Yea... I have to agree... after battling with it for a week or so... I am getting now where near better at using it...

Won a domain the other day for $1 bid ... and I thought I had already bid up to $60 to get it...

Just isnt making sense for me...

Cheers
Chumby

DavidL

Top Contributor
I'm not a fan either tbh. I'd suggest bringing back the old system.

You could still do the extended auction format to maximise revenue on the old system, I would have thought? But I think everybody misses the drama of the last few seconds before 11:30am and the regular checking throughout the day to see when they are dropping (regardless of whether they are bidding or not)

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
Great feedback guys, we'll take it on board.

The challenge we face is delivering a fair system. A system that doesn’t penalize customers prepared to do the work in valuing the domains and bidding early and prevents others from simply coming in, in the last moments and placing bids on domains that others highlighted. The old system forced everybody to be present at their computers for the auction close, whereas now you are free to place your proxy bids with the comfort of knowing you haven't shown your hand too early.

This maybe a transitional period you are all experiencing while you change user behavior (and probably as Joe points out, a good time to pick up bargains), but we are open to suggestions that will help us improve the experience whilst running a fair auction for all.

BTW We have had many supportive comments about the filter and watchlist improvements. Is everybody using these tools to their advantage?

Andrew

Shaun

Top Contributor
Great feedback guys, we'll take it on board.

The challenge we face is delivering a fair system. A system that doesn’t penalize customers prepared to do the work in valuing the domains and bidding early and prevents others from simply coming in, in the last moments and placing bids on domains that others highlighted.

Hi Andrew,

Are you not wanting to maximise your return, if so, what does this matter to Drop? If you found a ripper domain, it's simple, don't show your hand until the last few seconds then noone else will pick up on it!

paz

A system that doesn’t penalize customers prepared to do the work in valuing the domains and bidding early and prevents others from simply coming in, in the last moments and placing bids on domains that others highlighted.

But you highlight domains in your Featured Domain list each day?

You obvisouly have no problem letting members know which are the best domains to go for - but you're concerned when your users do via their bidding patterns?

Jonathan

Top Contributor
Agreed - if it is really about customers valuing the domains themselves, why send us a 'featured' domain list every day?

Chumby

Top Contributor
The featured list is the only thing keeping me looking now tbh.

As stated earlier as well ... the new system is hopeless on slower connections (mobile) that I was using when on holidays last week... too much eye candy and not enough speed.

I am glad Andrew is listening here... does show a committment to improvement.

Cheers
Chumby

Shaun

Top Contributor
Yeah agreed. I very seldom now go to drop.

If someone is a gun developer who wants a great idea, PM me. Would take 2 days work.

neddy

Top Contributor
Not a big thing, but I have noticed you can't change nameservers during the day. I think it's got something to do with the drops. I keep getting timeouts.

Any one else experience this?

soj

Founder
Ive had problems with changing name servers for a while actually, timed out, then you check back a day or two later, and they have been set.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member