What's new

Netfleet domain sales: what an odd experience this has been.

snoopy

Top Contributor
What a strange experience it has been selling a domain Netfleet, firstly the hard to follow/unusual way of pushing a name to auction and the need to pay a fee upfront for that honour.

Then at the end of the auction I expect to get the usual email that you get from a sales venue....you know where they outline how the transfer/escrow works. But no none of that with Netfleet.......instead I get the buyers company name and a phone number,

You should make contact with the winning bidder as soon as possible to arrange the transfer of funds, and transfer of domain name ownership in to their name.

What a strange system that is, what exactly is Netfleet doing for their 8% commission plus auction listing fee? Aren't I paying them to handle all this?

Now I David is going to by angry, but really this is a hugely sub par experience.

Shane

Top Contributor
I thought the same when I sold a few domains through them, although the 8% on my small sales wasn't much to worry about.

Mark

Top Contributor
What a strange experience it has been selling a domain Netfleet, firstly the hard to follow/unusual way of pushing a name to auction and the need to pay a fee upfront for that honour.

Then at the end of the auction I expect to get the usual email that you get from a sales venue....you know where they outline how the transfer/escrow works. But no none of that with Netfleet.......instead I get the buyers company name and a phone number,

What a strange system that is, what exactly is Netfleet doing for their 8% commission plus auction listing fee? Aren't I paying them to handle all this?

Now I David is going to by angry, but really this is a hugely sub par experience.

Hi Snoopy,

Firstly, I agree with you there needs to be more direction in the final sales email, detailing exactly the steps both parties need to take. We will provide more information for future.

Secondly, 8% is about the lowest sales commission you will ever find for a domain. We are able to put it that low, as opposed to the usual 15% +, as we do not manage the post sale process. As ever, we are always here to help though.

So what is the 8% for? We provide the sales platform and bring in the buyers by running an EDM to Netfleet clients (just short of 9,000 now), running an EDM to targeted Netregistry clients, promotion on Netregistry home page, promotion on Netregistry's premium domain page, further email targeting any clients who have even viewed your free standard domain listing previously, amongst various other bits and pieces like social media marketing, promoting across other registrars, etc

If we were to manage the transfer and escrow process too, we would have to charge the same as other companies like Sedo, Rick Latona etc, in the region of 15-20% commission.

I hope this some way to explaining our 8%

Cheers
Mark

DavidL

Top Contributor

Angry? Of course not. On the contrary.

I'm really happy that you sold a hand-reg for $3,000. Who'd have thought it -maybe the .AU market does have legs hey snoops? :)

In all seriousness though we would want to be a lot more hands-on in the sale like Mark said. It's just very hard in Australia with the escrow licensing requirements & transfer kerfuffle.

One day we'll have it going (with appropriate commission hike I'm afraid) but until then hopefully you can bear with us with the rather crude setup we have now.

We just thought better to have something than nothing at all - people were screaming for it you see.

geodomains

Top Contributor
Hi Mark & David,
Well answered by both of you and I must congratulate you both on a great platform you have built for domainers.

I just put 5 domains on for your next auction and found the whole process very easy and for what it's worth 8% is fine by me, where else would we sell our au domains.

People must remember Netfleet does not charge for listing domains on the standard listing platform and need to make money somewhere.

Good on you both.

Don

Shaun

Top Contributor
Hi Mark & David,
Well answered by both of you and I must congratulate you both on a great platform you have built for domainers.

I just put 5 domains on for your next auction and found the whole process very easy and for what it's worth 8% is fine by me, where else would we sell our au domains.

People must remember Netfleet does not charge for listing domains on the standard listing platform and need to make money somewhere.

Good on you both.

Don

Couldn't agree more.

Lorenzo

Top Contributor
in Australia with the escrow licensing requirements & transfer kerfuffle.

One day we'll have it going (with appropriate commission hike I'm afraid) but until then hopefully you can bear with us with the rather crude setup we have now.

We just thought better to have something than nothing at all - people were screaming for it you see.

My opinion:

you rise prices --> you open a space for more competitors.

My 2 cents.

Max

Top Contributor
//If we were to manage the transfer and escrow process too, we would have to charge the same as other companies like Sedo, Rick Latona etc, in the region of 15-20% commission.//

//I hope this some way to explaining our 8%//

Sedo fee is 10% which includes escrow and transfer instructions .. if the seller push a domain to auction there is no extra charge ..

Sedo minimum transaction fee is $50 USD, so for a $100 domain the seller gets $50 you need to get at least a $500 sale to get to the 10% level ..

Sedo brokerage (broker) fee is 15% ..

DavidL

Top Contributor
Sedo fee is 10% which includes escrow and transfer instructions .. if the seller push a domain to auction there is no extra charge .. ..

Yes you're quite right. I was sure it was 15% for some reason but yeah looks like it's been 10% for quite a while...
Sedo minimum transaction fee is $50 USD, so for a $100 domain the seller gets $50 you need to get at least a $500 sale to get to the 10% level ..

Sedo brokerage (broker) fee is 15% ..

Actually I think for .au it's a category III domain so it's US$150 minimum charge. That's before you pay the registrar transfer fee too :(

I guess Sedo make .au Category III because it is a complicated transfer process compared to most TLDs.

Anyway one day we'll have enough sales bubbling through that the economies of scale will mean we'll be able to offer it all for a really competitive commission...

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member