What's new

Netfleet change of registrant (COR) too expensive

Ashman

Top Contributor
Today I found out the hard way that Netfleet increased the price of their COR from $19.95 to $65.95, that's a 300% increase for an automated service. Guess I will be taking my business to VentraIP Australia in the future. They only charge $24.95 for the same service.

Sim

Yup, Ventra and other registrars charge the same as their renewal fee - which I think is a fair price.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
COR should be FREE. It is in most other countries

auDA Board member Erhan has stated this can be done. He spoke to Ausregistry and they said Yes it can be done.

Why the hold up Erhan? Ausregistry and auDA make enough profits don't they and this has been on the auDA and board agenda to change for many years.... or has it really? We do not know as all agenda's and minutes have been deleted off the auDA website so no one knows anything.

Tim and Simon as Demand member representatives on the auDA Board as a member myself I request you act on this as you said you would when requests are made to you to raise things at the Board or with auDA. Let's start to see some things actually done and some responses..... election timer will soon be upon us again

This is the sort of "innovation" needed to keep the Australian Domain space competitive and show auDA is in fact listening for the benefit of Domain Name Registrants.

Sim

COR should be FREE. It is in most other countries

Hangon ... CoR may be free, but transfers are not (well they are kind of but not really) ... you pay for a 12 month renewal every time you transfer a .com domain. Yes, it gets added to the existing expiry date so you are actually getting value for the money - but it's still a cost I'd rather not pay until I need to, especially if you need to move a large number of domains between registrars because they are no longer providing the service you need.

It's far more likely that I'm going to be transferring a bunch of domains than I am to be doing a CoR (I have a Synergy Wholesale account, so I buy domains for my clients using their own registrant details).

When I moved my entire domain portfolio (around 600 domains at the time) from TPP Wholesale to Synergy Wholesale, it would have cost me (and my clients) a lot of money if I'd had to pay transfer fees. Anything which discourages movement to a different registrar is a worse outcome in my opinion - we should be free to move providers without penalty.

I'm not really in favour of moving to the .com model of free CoR but paying for transfers.

Sim

Today I found out the hard way that Netfleet increased the price of their COR from $19.95 to $65.95, that's a 300% increase for an automated service. Guess I will be taking my business to VentraIP Australia in the future. They only charge $24.95 for the same service.

Just for laughs, I tracked down my original receipts for my first domain I ever registered (in 2001), which was also the first domain I did a CoR on (in 2009).

$140 for .com.au registration in 2001 (and back then they enforced the "related name" rule - I could only register the name because it was related to my company name). $220 for CoR in 2009.

2017-05-03_13-41-23.png

2017-05-03_13-33-22.png

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Actually ... just checked the Melbourne IT website ... currently charging $153.98 for a 2 year .com.au registration. HELLO MELBOURNE IT ... THE DOT.COM BOOM CALLED AND THEY WANT THEIR PRICES BACK!!

View attachment 396

Melbourne IT was on the auDA Board for how many years and their pricing is up to 1000% higher than other resellers for a .com.au,,,

Maybe this is why they keep pushing for an additional competing .au extension?

They also pushed for biz.au, pro.au to be new Australia extensions etc!! CRAZY

Good to see them off the auDA Board finally but strange to see how their demand and supply memberships seem to be linked and related...

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Go with Synergy Wholesale and a few others under $20 including GST. I am amazed how many people are still being ripped off with Melbourne IT and their other entity overpricing.

Once Ausregistry is gone and stop taking their cut of profits out of Australia auDA can drop wholesale pricing to $3 AUD per year.

We should see some great registrars and resellers then come to about $5 AUD a year for a .com.au.

Wholesale price from Ausregistry to most is $7 now.. maybe less for some of their preferred customers..?

snoopy

Top Contributor
Actually ... just checked the Melbourne IT website ... currently charging $153.98 for a 2 year .com.au registration. HELLO MELBOURNE IT ... THE DOT.COM BOOM CALLED AND THEY WANT THEIR PRICES BACK!!

This makes sense for them, they have a lot of corporate clients who don't look much at the bill and want a supposed "stable" registrar, it is a wonder prices haven't gone up more.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member