What's new

Netfleet AMA

neddy

Top Contributor
After having a chat with a few fellow domainers, I have what I think is a really constructive suggestion to help improve the quality of the AMA. :)

Because it is free to list (if you don't have a reserve), some people just keep listing anything and everything over and over again. Consequently the majority of listings
are not wonderful quality, and they don't end up selling. And so some people lose interest and just don't follow it that often.

So how would it be if Netfleet charged $5 per listing - which would be fully refundable if the domain sold? i.e. achieved the minimum of a $100 offer.

I believe this suggestion will do wonders for the AMA - and as a mate said to me, he would even put some listings up if they didn't have to get lost amongst "the chaff".

Just my 2 cents worth.

aus11

Top Contributor
That's a good idea!

I was just looking through the domains yesterday and I'd say 95% of them are .net.au. Would be awesome to be able to filter (correct me if you already can), so that only .com.au show.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Totally agree, there is so much junk that I don't even look let alone contribute.

I think you guys mentioned you were going to mix the AMA in with the daily drops.. I think that will help.

Are there any restrictions on the number of domains someone can list, the frequency they can list and how often a single domain can be relisted?

Every now and then when I do have a look, all I see is C grade .net.au's, atleast 1 3D name and a variation of something that sold of the drops the day before (ie. a freshly reg'd .net.au)

Last edited:

Shane

Top Contributor
Another agree-er here.

I watched the AMAs at the start, but it just filled up with rubbish and now I don't bother looking.

Charge a fee for each listing and hopefully quality will pick up, maybe even have a weekly end date rather than daily...?

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I disagree.

If we can filter to 1000+ crap domains that drop everyday on the expiry auctions, to find the 10 - 20 decent ones I don't see why it is any harder to do for the AMA.

I think the REAL solution is just a better filtering system not charging $5 per listing.

Even a filter that just allowed people to even screen .net.au and hyphen domains would make a world of difference. Being able to put conditions on CPC, search volumes etc would be an even better step in the right direction.

Or placing a limit on how many domains someone can list in a day/week. Or not allowing them to relist a domain within 3 months.

If they place a $5 charge on listing, listings will dry up and no one will go to the AMA anyway. And I also agree that syncing up the AMA with Snapper would be ideal.

I think the AU domain market really needs an efficient auction platform like NF that offers liquidity to the market.

geodomains

Top Contributor
Well I have no problems with the current AMA as I've sold a heap of domains through AMA.
I do like the thought of them being included with the dropping domain list, maybe only the one's with any search volume would suit.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Don

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Looking at this again there are only 159 domains listed on the AMA atm and 85 are from the 1 seller (who had 40+ passed in today).

When these are mixed in with the Snapper auctions it won't be an issue, as long as the quality domains get pushed to the top.

Shane

Top Contributor
I disagree.

If we can filter to 1000+ crap domains that drop everyday on the expiry auctions, to find the 10 - 20 decent ones I don't see why it is any harder to do for the AMA.

I think the REAL solution is just a better filtering system not charging $5 per listing.

That's true, but as Neddy and FPR pointed out, all the crap is actually discouraging people from listing decent domains.

The expiry auctions are different, as no one makes a concious decision to list their quality domain on the drops.

I think the AU domain market really needs an efficient auction platform like NF that offers liquidity to the market.

I agree, but just because loads of domains go through there every day doesn't make it a liquid market. They need to actually sell! :)

neddy

Top Contributor

My suggestion was to charge $5 per listing - but make it refundable if your domain gets a bid. So if you put a half-decent name up, you won't be charged anything.

But the $5 fee may deter the people who constantly list poor quality domains - or the same domains over and over again.

Or placing a limit on how many domains someone can list in a day/week. Or not allowing them to relist a domain within 3 months.

That's a good idea. :)

Well I have no problems with the current AMA as I've sold a heap of domains through AMA.

But Don, you put domains up that are half-decent! And so they do sell -albeit at the lower price levels.

----------------------

The consensus seems to be that there is a lot of crap on there - and repeat crap - so what's the best way to make the AMA more attractive to potential buyers?

I don't really care how it happens - and it's great that we can all offer constructive suggestions on what might work.

DavidL

Top Contributor
Like Chris said, there's no more 'crap' on the AMA than daily on the snapper auctions. Plus, I believe there's a similar sort used so the better domains rise to the top (hope Mark or Ant can confirm?)

There are two reasons the AMA doesn't seem to get as many sales as the AMA

1) the starting prices are $100

If you look at today's Snapper auction (or any day), 3/4 of the names go for less than $100 so it would stand to reason if these names were in the AMA they wouldn't get a bid.

2) the hassle

Even if you do value the name at $200, it's (IMO) hardly worth buying for that as you have to allow for X hours of hassle in co,mpleting the COR. Unknown seller, time to transfer to registrars, forms etc. Compare this with Snapper where one click and it's yours.

Mark

Top Contributor
In the first incarnation of the AMA, we did charge to list, and there was outcry. This time, we are trying free to list.

I think a big blocker for people is the hassle of performing a COR currently, which we are addressing and very, very soon will be launching our own automated COR. The domain will be in your name minutes after a sale is agreed. The platform also needs more exposure in terms of cross promotion throughout the site, and hopefully when we roll out an all in one auction platform covering both Snapper and AMA.

Another point - there are already restrictions on people re-listing domains endlessly - currently set that you cannot list a domain more than 3 times, in 90 days. We should possibly look at reducing that limit.

Lastly, there are lots of both buyers and sellers who quite like the AMA in its current form - 779 completed sales to date is evidence of this, but I strongly agree that we need a lot more out of the platform yet.

Rudy

From a seller perspective I don't like AMA. Free or otherwise. You don't get enough value for your domain because you don't get enough viewers. You don't get enough viewers because there is no urgency and you get to sift through the same list every day. Yay. :)

I would suggest that you mix these domains in with the daily auctions and let them sell as if they are an expiring domain. As a seller I feel I will probably get more for my name because most people view the daily drops and once someone bids, it will be noticed by others and hopefully create a bidding war. This is less likely to happen with AMA with less participants.

As a buyer, I can't be bothered looking through AMA. I do occasionally, but it's the same rubbish. I see the top 5 that have bids on the home page when I log in, but I don't look every day.

Which is probably the biggest problem for people looking to sell their domains in there. Buyers don't bother looking every day to see if any new names have been added.

Another reason to have them added into the main pool. Someone said earlier its not too much trouble to sift through the 1000 daily domains - which is true, but you don't want to sift through the same list every day - which is what AMA ends up being. The same list every day - except maybe one or two - if you can find them.

That's my 2c. :)

acheeva

Top Contributor
Domain Research Generally

I hope I am on topic; but I find this discussion fascinating

I have dealt with share traders, used car dealers, antiques dealers, etc

These businesses have the same key success factor which is the acquisition of quality stock

The quality of stock for each person & each business will always vary based on chosen niches, preferences, experience, knowledge & risk profile

Stock sourcing can either be delegated to staff or "brokers" or it can be the role of the business owners

The NF group have people who can research & source domains; similar to brokers in the other industries above (e.g. share brokers) if that is what is required

However, I doubt that anyone can devise a platform that meets everyone's individual needs

Yes; the platforms can be changed to match common needs but:-

- how can profitable trading occur if their is no reward for buyers who seek out opportunities based on their niche / strategy?

- How can one platform cater for the competing objectives of "traders" and "end users"?

neddy

Top Contributor
I think a big blocker for people is the hassle of performing a COR currently, which we are addressing and very, very soon will be launching our own automated COR. The domain will be in your name minutes after a sale is agreed. The platform also needs more exposure in terms of cross promotion throughout the site, and hopefully when we roll out an all in one auction platform covering both Snapper and AMA.

That's wonderful on both counts. Great initiatives.

Another point - there are already restrictions on people re-listing domains endlessly - currently set that you cannot list a domain more than 3 times, in 90 days. We should possibly look at reducing that limit.

I think that would be great if you could do that. That's sort of what got me fired up yesterday to do this post.

Lastly, there are lots of both buyers and sellers who quite like the AMA in its current form - 779 completed sales to date is evidence of this, but I strongly agree that we need a lot more out of the platform yet.

Mark, as I said to you on the phone yesterday, I think you guys have really done an awesome job with the Netfleet platform - particularly over the past 12 to 18 months. The AMA though is a bit
like my teenage sons at the moment (when it comes to school work) - so much potential, but perplexing as to how to get the best out of them. :)

So I think the comments on here are all healthy and constructive - it's in all our interests to have a vibrant secondary platform.

I would suggest that you mix these domains in with the daily auctions and let them sell as if they are an expiring domain. As a seller I feel I will probably get more for my name because most people view the daily drops and once someone bids, it will be noticed by others and hopefully create a bidding war. This is less likely to happen with AMA with less participants.

Some good points you raise Rudy. I think that's what Netfleet are aiming to do.

As I have said in a different thread, sometimes I even forget to look at the AMA - or have gone out to lunch or whatever. So a combined platform is the way to go. Imho

Serious sellers are definitely looking for a platform where they can get lots of eyes on their listings.

However, I doubt that anyone can devise a platform that meets everyone's individual needs

That's a fair point.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I think a big blocker for people is the hassle of performing a COR currently.
Totally agree, I think it scares away both buyers and sellers.

which we are addressing and very, very soon will be launching our own automated COR. The domain will be in your name minutes after a sale is agreed.
That's GREAT news!

:D

I think this really will add more liquidity to the market. I wouldn't be surprised if twice or three times as many domains sell via the AMA if there was a fully automated system.

Plus this sort of system would really encourage someone like me who values their time to list more domains.

;)

Wow 779 sales, I didn't realise it was that many, that has got to be seen as success in my opinion.

And I think we all need to remember Rome wasn't built in a day and NetFleet always seem to be pretty proactive and moving in the right direction.

:D

There are two reasons the AMA doesn't seem to get as many sales as the Snapper

1) the starting prices are $100

If you look at today's Snapper auction (or any day), 3/4 of the names go for less than $100 so it would stand to reason if these names were in the AMA they wouldn't get a bid.

2) the hassle

Even if you do value the name at $200, it's (IMO) hardly worth buying for that as you have to allow for X hours of hassle in co,mpleting the COR. Unknown seller, time to transfer to registrars, forms etc. Compare this with Snapper where one click and it's yours.
Totally agree.

But it sounds like NF are sorting issue #2 and as for point #1 well I think this is something that you can't really do much about given that it's not worth anyone's time to sell a domain if you are not going to be making $100 for your efforts.

That said, if you are an AU domain optimist you'd have to think that with an automated system more domainers will come to the market and just through naturally increasing demand over time of more retail buyers coming to the market looking for domains the prices should move higher over time.

At this stage selling all but truly category killing AU domains don't sell well at auction because there aren't enough retailer buyers actively looking to invest. So I can't help but feel that negotiations (or potentially the tenders idea I suggested in another thread) will still be the best way to sell AU domains for the next 12 months or so, but I'm hoping times will change and a more liquid market is created where fairer valuations can be achieved and improving results within the AMA will naturally draw more listings so that this fact does change over time.

That's true, but as Neddy and FPR pointed out, all the crap is actually discouraging people from listing decent domains.
I actually think it's more the issue that the domains are being sold via auction, which isn't a great way to sell AU domains at the moment coupled with the fact that if you put a reserve on the domain it's very likely to pass in, and be quite expensive.

I agree, but just because loads of domains go through there every day doesn't make it a liquid market. They need to actually sell! :)
I'm not saying it's a "liquid market" - I think domains are incredibly illiquid actually.

I've had domains get offers of low-mid $XXXX which I've knocked back, then when I got looking for buyers 3 - 6 months later, because that 1 buyer has left the market I'll get low ball offers from other domainers in the low-mid $XXX - and that's if you can get any offers at all - this isn't what I'd call "liquid".

That said, the AMA is the best place to liquidate a domain in the market at this stage - it's definitely not ideal but it's the best we've got and I hope NF continue to try and develop the platform because I think it's the AU domain market's best hope for the future and i really an see it becoming the natural market place for AU domains.

My suggestion was to charge $5 per listing - but make it refundable if your domain gets a bid. So if you put a half-decent name up, you won't be charged anything.
I've put domains up on the AMA that have passed in but have sold via negotiation for high $XXX a couple of months later, whether a domain is "half decent" has much more to do with who, if anyone shows up the AMA on a given day.

I remember I trailed the AMA with a bunch of "semi decent" domains when it first started - ie domains that would probably sell for mid $XXX to a retail buyer in a negotiated sale and of the 30 or so I listed I sold about 3, the 3 I sold were no better than any of the others, if anything I thought they were worse, but I assume they sold because the right buyer rocked up on the day who was willing to pony up the $100 minimum bid.

It would have sucked to have sold 3 domains at $100 a pop, but then have to pay $135 in registration fees because the other 27 didn't sell because domainers didn't see value at $100 and no retail buyers rocked up.

But Don, you put domains up that are half-decent! And so they do sell -albeit at the lower price levels.
I think that is a big deal actually. Seller placing domains on the AMA have to know that they are often going to be selling at "firesale" rates, because lots of potential buyers don't get involved with the AMA because of the COR process, and if buyers aren't going to turn up then sellers aren't going to invest their time listing and advertising their listings.

I really think the system needs to be designed to make it just as lucrative for sellers to sell as it is convenient for buyers to buy, because when sellers can make money cost effectively they will bring more stock to the market which will mean that serious buyers can get what they want easily and liquid markets will naturally be formed and everyone will be better off, but it has to work for both buyers, sellers and NF, as business is never done unless it is a win win for all parties.

From a seller perspective I don't like AMA. Free or otherwise. You don't get enough value for your domain because you don't get enough viewers. You don't get enough viewers because there is no urgency and you get to sift through the same list every day.

Someone said earlier its not too much trouble to sift through the 1000 daily domains - which is true, but you don't want to sift through the same list every day
That's probably a fair point, I know I don't like looking/loading all the listings of all the domains that are coming up because I'm only ever interested in domains that are for sale today or in the next day or two.

I don't need to know what's for sale in 3 weeks time, because I can deal with it then and I'm never going to bid until within the last hour of the auction.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member