What's new

.Net.Au Views

snoopy

Top Contributor
Make up your mind!
First you object to .net.au on the grounds they are non standard, confusing and appear second rate
Then I prove there are .net.au that are standard, are not the slightest bit confusing and do not appear second rate
Now you saying that net.au are for "not for profit" sites

I am shocked that you , an expert, and well aware of the radio test, think a hypenated .com.au should be chosen over a memorable .net.au
I wouldn't use a hypenated name if you paid me

I see generic .net.au on business signs every day and I think to myself that they are smart operators not settling for a made up .com.au

This acceptance of .net.au may be due to the fact that so many generic .com.au are concentrated in the hands of a few companies like OMG
So Australians have accepted .net.au , unlike the situation with .com and .net
And Australians see and hear about .net.au all day every day

Please don't bring up that spurious argument about SEO

By the way, I used to like reading an American site called something like the good bad and the ugly of domain names where people submitted photos of horrible domain names
I can't find that site
Do you know what is?

Joe,

I didn't say they are "for not for profits sites" I said when you are running a site as a hobby (whirlpool) or backing by the government (abc) it doesn't matter much if you make major blunders, revenue isn't likely to drop lower than $0 when they switch that .net.au on. Whirlpool and abc could use .id.au and their financial performance would be unchanged.

Secondly you didn't "prove there are .net.au that are standard, are not the slightest bit confusing and do not appear second rate" all you did was give some examples of usage. I can show you people who drive Lada's and own Microsoft Zune's.

Thirdly I didn't "bring up that spurious argument about SEO " indeed I stated quite the opposite
"For those who say "well I'm only concerned about search engine traffic and nothing else", it is probably workable,"

Regarding seeing .net.au, I see them occasionally in the real world and I think it is pretty much always a case of someone who has made some kind of error in my view, generally it is a small business who probably didn't get any real advice. Like I said though if it is just SEO type work I don't think it is much of an issue, but beyond that the extension is majorly flawed.

Now we can talk here all day about people who couldn't care less about making money that are using it, or ISP's who use it as well as the .com.au's or Franks Hamburger shop in Dromana who uses it, but that has little relevance for domainers or web developers.

Honan

Top Contributor
Frank bought that hamburger shop from Jack, when he went broke
It was called burger king
Burger King execs from USA gave Jack a very good offer to sell
He declined
So Burger king was called Hungry Jacks in Victoria for many years
That is an urban myth just like the myth that .net.au is inferior

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts