1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

net.au $ values continue to surprise me...

Discussion in 'Drop.com.au' started by Drop.com.au, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Drop.com.au

Drop.com.au Membership: VIP

If you look at our home page you will see something that I think is quite remarkable. (www.drop.com.au)

Of the top 5 sales listed for the past 7 expired auction days, net.au domains hold 4 of the top 5 positions (positions 1, 2, 4, and 5).

Jobs.net.au $5,359
    UsedCars.net.au $2,023
    LinkExchange.com.au $1,525
    Racing.net.au $1,501
    CorporateTravel.net.au $900
    CraftIdeas.com.au $802
    SocialAnxiety.com.au $633
    OrganicCoffee.com.au $361
    Candy.net.au $330
    BlindCleaning.com.au $286

In our secondary market auctions we have what I consider to be two category killing domains and neither has a reserve.

computers.net.au
    marketing.net.au

Auction Room URL: https://www.drop.com.au/auction/?room=sma

So what price will / should these two domains fetch when compared with what we have seen on the drops over the past 7 days?

Or..., and this is a question I am putting out to anyone that plays the Drop, psychologically do you value names differently when they are expired Vs aftermarket?

Best Regards,
    George Pongas

2. soj

soj Founder

I think the only reason that these .net.au domains are on the top list is that there haven't been any decent .com.au's dropping in the past week, actually, make that the past few months.

3. DavidL

DavidL Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    They should be valued differently for the following tangible reasons:

1) Aftermarket sale domains have never expired so unlikely Google will 'reset' their PR or ranking
    2) You can sell aftermarket domains the next day rather than have to wait 6 months.
    3) Aftermarket domains cost you approx $25 more to get a hold of (the difference between the transfer fee of $50 and your regular rego fee)
    4) Aftermarket names involve a little more work to acquire.

On balance, I would value a domain on the aftermarket (a premium domain anyway) higher than one in the drops.

However some people seem see it the other way.

Eg Printing.com.au sold for $9,200 on the drops. Printers.com.au achieved a high bid of $5,000 on our aftermarket auction.

Will be interesting to see how those 2 great net.au names go in this auction...

4. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

I think that is it. We have just had some very good quality .net.au's dropping.

The actual prices that .net.au are getting is pretty miserable in my view, like the difference between bluemountains.com.au/.net.au, tunes.com.au/.net.au etc. it is 100:1, 50:1 differences.

5. snoopy

These are completely different names in my view.

6. Honan

Honan Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    In retrospect I has absolutely no chance of snagging usedcars.net.au on the drop
    The whois now has a carsales.com.au addy
    Deep pockets

7. DavidL

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Yes snoopy - if you look closely, you'll see one ends in '-ers' and one ends in '-ing'.

Comparing these two clearly has merit if we are discussing relative valuations between aftermarket and drops.

Same industry
    Printers.com.au is product/service focused (easier to make money from)
    Printing.com.au is industry focused
    Printers.com.au has three times the search volume
    Printers.com.au appeared to be valued at about half that of printing.com.au

To me, at least, that doesn't really make sense....

8. Max

Max Membership: Community

Hardly deep pockets at $2,023 for UsedCars.net.au you shoulda bid higher an make em pay a real price like they did for carsales.com over $400K US, $2,023 is paper clip money to them .. now they probably think that every name is only worth $2,023 ..

:)

9. DavidL

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Actually from memory I don't believe Carsales were the catcher (although they are active in the drops and aftermarket). So perhaps there's been a very quick flip and someone is cracking the champagne?!!! Are congratulations in order?

10. Drop.com.au

Drop.com.au Membership: VIP

No quick flipping, just a Grace Period correction due to an end-user error.

George

11. DavidL

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Ah that's a shame. Would have made a great story - catch a domain on the drops for $2K, flog it a few days later for 5 figures (6 figures?!) to a $1.1B end user! Now that's a return that would get non-domainers interested!

12. soj

soj Founder

Printers.com.au would be aiming at all the $80 printers out there that you need to throw away after one use because the replacement cartridge costs you $100.

Printing would be all the Business Cards, Flyers, Letterheads, etc that businesses would be using. A much bigger industry, therefore a higher price for the domain IMO.

13. snoopy

These are two entirely different industries.

Personally I think there is very low margins in computer hardware. People will use comparison shopping to save $5 on a $300 item. I wouldn't want to be in that industry myself, it reached saturation along time ago, holding inventory is expensive and needs to be nightly managed (due to products going out of date), I think also there is large barriers to entry in terms of it needing volume discounts to get reasonable profit margins.

In regards to printing there is a value add as opposed to selling something where all people care about is price. I'm not sure which is the bigger industry but I know which one I'd prefer to be in if I were running a small or medium sized business.

14. DavidL

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Fair points guys. Remember though people searching for 'printers' might be looking for printing companies as well as the hardware.

In fact if you search for 'printers' the ads are dominated by printing companies offering printing services (rather than hardware for sale) so obviously people do do that.

I guess the question is what proportion of the 40,000 searche a month are looking for printing services compared with hardware printers. Something that's very hard to tell...

15. snoopy

If you try printers and printer in the adwords tool you'll see all the two word combinations with those terms in them mostly relate to selling printers (95%+), so it is a fair bet that is what most of the searches for the word/s individually relate to that.

When I type "printers" into google itself most of the ads relate to computer hardware, 7 out of 11. Of the other 4, 3/4 are in the bottom 4 positions in adwords.