What's new

name and shame

findtim

Top Contributor
HTML:
http://domainregister.com.au/

ANOTHER client rings me today and asks WHY someone has sent her an invoice for her domain name.

those shonky people at domain register PTY LTD have sent her an invoice with "domain available" and its the .com, not the .com.au

so I ring them up and pretend to be the owner and the conversation goes like this.

" hi, I have an invoice from you for my domain name but I thought I was registered with someone else "?

" is it really an invoice" " I think it says domain name available"

"ohh, yes it does, that's a bit confusing don't you think"

"no, we are just offering you the .com "

"well it looks like an invoice, that's very misleading "

" ahhhh, conversation OVER " and he hangs up on me

I'm in Melbourne tomorrow and I keep saying I'm going to visit them, so if anyone has free text remind me @ 11am on 0439 859 860 so I can give everyone an update if I remember to visit them, I'd love to see if they actually exist in the offices.

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
thanks james

i'm sorry but i just dislike people getting ripped off, so that's what really bothers me about these businesses, whats WORSE is that its actually in australia

tim

helloworld

Top Contributor
It was bound to happen here eventually. Do a company extract. Costs like $15. You can then get there names and addresses and shame them properly

findtim

Top Contributor
it degrades our industry, we are a mixed bunch here, domainers, developers, wholesalers etc .

it certainly would P off businesses like ventraIP, crazy , drop, NF etc as it tarnishes the whole group.

SEO scammers is probably worse IMO but this is a simple fake looking invoice style, at least SEO you would have to have some communication

as for full on name and shame helloworld, i'd just have to waste my time on whingepool for that

tim

the documents they send out are in breach of the Australia Consumer Law, I would refer it to the ACCC

You should make sure all your clients know the best place to buy a domain is from an auDA Accredited Registrar or a reputable reseller.

findtim

Top Contributor
the documents they send out are in breach of the Australia Consumer Law, I would refer it to the ACCC

You should make sure all your clients know the best place to buy a domain is from an auDA Accredited Registrar or a reputable reseller.

i tell them ALL, that they should only pay my invoices OR send me the emails for varification by ME, but they still forget and get tricked ! SMB's just don't know , no matter how many times i tell them, and this is where these guys are winning.

it is soooooo misleading

http://screencast.com/t/KIFzOlyIgm

tim

we are also seeing the same scam with trademark renewals, an American company is looking at the Australian trademark register and sending out renewal notices in the same format as this domain name invoice. They also time it so their notice arrives before the official notice from IPAustralia. Instead of paying $300 through IP Australia they hit people up $1600. Our clients send them through all the time now.

These bottom feeders prey on small business owners who don't understand. It is very frustrating.

James

Top Contributor
I read something in MX the other day about a company who was sending out "fake invoices" to hotel owners for cleaning exhaust fans when they never had the work done. ACCC did fine the company 10,000 dollars so I guess this kind of sits in the same area right?

Horshack

Top Contributor
I received a trademark invoice for Hungary a few weeks ago that was post-marked Australia which made me laugh.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member