What's new

Monday's drop change

Honan

Top Contributor
Interested to know what other domainers think of this change
How will all the domains dropping at the same time effect us, the punters?
Is that even possible ..All names at the one time?
What time do you think the 3 companies will close their auctions?
Do you think publishing a central list of drops 24 hours before will increase bidder competition?
It is 24 hours before isn't it?
Can you forsee any other effects of this change?

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
How will all the domains dropping at the same time effect us, the punters?
Is that even possible ..All names at the one time?

I'd say it's highly probable that names will all be purged at the same time or atleast within such a small fraction of time that it would appear instant.

It is 24 hours before isn't it?
Can you forsee any other effects of this change?

"exactly one calendar day"

What time do you think the 3 companies will close their auctions?

Be good to have some extra bidding times on weekends and public holidays :)

Do you think publishing a central list of drops 24 hours before will increase bidder competition?

Maybe, I guess it gives more time to think and get finances in order...

From a domainer POV some benefits I can see are:

• the publication of an authoritive purge list
  • domains dropping every day
  • knowing when to check results

The "Domain Sync" is a good idea (not for domainers).

Lorenzo

Top Contributor
less work for the catchers, since the list is already done, more competition, higher prices.

All in all, I welcome the new way but I still dislike the 3rd level.

soj

Founder
I think with the domain list published, there will be more domains listed on the drop catchers. I also think that it will be interesting to see what domains the drop catchers go for first when the 1pm comes around, seeing as they all have a limited amount of connections to the registry. Will be interesting over the first couple of days.

DavidL

Top Contributor
I'm not the technical one so I may be wrong here - George or Mark may well correct me - but I believe the domains will all be purged over a couple of minutes, rather than all at the same second.

As such, I don't envisage a drastic change in strategy from how we run our catching scripts. We'll just have to run them for a few minutes rather than the whole day.

The domain list will be bigger as it will include every single domain. Not of the catchers lists are complete.

Eg look at http://www.ausregistry.com.au/reports/2010/PUBLIC-201002.pdf

11774 domains expired in Feb over 21 working days. That would mean 560 domains each day. We currently probably average only around 400. However the remaining 160 or so are probably of lesser quality than the rest as I'd imagine, like us, the other drop catchers started building their lists from the top down so to speak.

I think this change will be good for everyone.

More choice and time to research for domainers. Certainty of drop time. Less pressure on the registry from scripts hammering all day. Less stress for catchers ;)

I might miss the anticipation and suspense waiting for the drops though - esp on the big days!

geodomains

Top Contributor
I was reading this from auda
•eligible expired and deleted domain names will be purged from the registry at 1.00pm AEST (2.00pm AEDT) every day, including weekends and public holidays.
Just wondering what happens on weekends now? Maybe George or David could answer this?

Don

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
Hi Guys,

I sent the following email to our clients yesterday, but forgot to post it as well.

IMPORTANT UPDATE:
Many of you may have already heard news relating to the new Domain Renewal, Expiry and Deletion Policy that will come into affect this weekend.

Under the new policy:

• expired and deleted .au domain names will be published on the Official Domain Drop List at the time when they become "eligible for purge"
  • eligible expired and deleted domain names will be purged from the registry at 03:00UTC (1.00pm AEST) every day, including weekends and public holidays.
As a DROP customer you will not experience a great deal of difference with our auction process aside from the new auction close times and the weekend auction additions.

We will announce our new auctions times later this week as we move towards making appropriate system changes.

If you want to read more about the new Domain Renewal, Expiry and Deletion Policy, please visit the auDA website:
http://www.auda.org.au/news-archive/auda-14032010/

To answer some questions, regarding the purge process:
1) The purge time is fixed to 03:00UTC, this does not mean that the release will be simultaneous.
2) Days..., I'm afraid drops will now be a daily feature and similarly our DROP auctions too. This also includes public holidays.
3) The expired domains will remain in a "Renew Prohibited" status for 24 hours. In the past this was variable, because domains entered into this status over the entire course of the day.

The registry is making updates to software this weekend and the new DROP conditions will begin Monday.

Tomorrow we plan to send an email to our customers with information about our auction changes. This time I will try an remember to post to DN Trade too!

Best Regards,
George Pongas

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
IMPORTANT NEWS: We just received advanced notice from the registry that the scheduled changes that were being deployed this weekend, relating to the DROP times, will no longer take affect.

Until further notice the DROP auction times will remain the same.

We will email all our customers the official AusRegistry explanation when they issue their release to registrars.

Best Regards,
George Pongas

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members