What's new

.mobi

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
yes i let mine drop too , i think my spaceage.mobi just dropped or is about to , cant remember , but the extensions main selling point now seems redundant

Shaun

Top Contributor
Hi Guys,

I wouldn't be in a real hurry to get rid of these as I personally feel they still have some value.

One thing the new "smart phones" are doing is making it easier to browse the internet.

When you develop an iphone app it is only available to be used on the iphone. If you want an app for Android or Nokia or anything else, you need to develop the same app for the new handset/operating system.

If you are a business with a budget, developing an app for each handset/operating system may not be affordable, HOWEVER developing a mobile website maybe, as this can be used on ALL handsets/operating systems.

An App starts from around $5k with a standard App being around $20k for EACH handset/operating system.

A mobile website would comfortably be built for the same price and WILL work on ALL handsets/operating systems.

Below I have included some quick facts about the iPhone - American Study

• iPhone users are very satisfied. The iPhone users we surveyed report very high levels of satisfaction with the product. They are using its features extensively.

• E-mail is the #1 function. The most heavily used data function on the iPhone is reading (but not writing) e-mail.

The iPhone increases mobile browsing... More than 75% of iPhone users say it has led them to do more mobile browsing.

...but it has drawbacks. About 40% of iPhone users say the iPhone has trouble displaying some websites they want to visit.

• The iPhone is expanding the smartphone market. About 50% of iPhones replaced conventional mobile phones, 40% replaced smartphones, and 10% replaced nothing. Among conventional phones, Motorola Razr was the phone most often replaced. Among smartphones, Windows Mobile and RIM Blackberry were most often replaced.

• A quarter of iPhone users say it's displacing a notebook computer. 28% of iPhone users surveyed said strongly that they often carry their iPhone instead of a notebook computer.

• Users are young. About half of iPhone users are under age 30 and about 15% are students.

The iPhone increases phone bills. The iPhone has increased its users' monthly mobile phone bills by an average of 24%, or $228 extra per year.

SM

Max

Top Contributor
Forget dot Mobi from a domainers aspect ... unless you own a cat killer name like Hotels or maybe even Flowers J/k

Denis

Hey Shaun!

Great post!

Just out of curiosity does it cost anything (to the developer) to distribute a freely downloadable app?

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
free .mobi domain = robothire.mobi

if anyone wants it , soon to run out of reg at godaddy

i will steer clear of .mobi , although i have some apps names

new-apps |c|o|m
3dphoneapps |c|o|m
cloudapplictions|d|e
cloudcomputingapps|d|e
prepaidapps|c|o|m
gphoneapplications|c|o|m
eroticapps|c|o|m
appsaffiliateprogram/s|c|o|m
cloudapplications|d|e

Shaun

Top Contributor
Hey Shaun!

Great post!

Just out of curiosity does it cost anything (to the developer) to distribute a freely downloadable app?

Hi Denis,

Apple charge a fee of $99, this fee is for the review process. Each App that you develop you pay this $99 fee and Apple review your App, they will then accept or reject your App. This review process currently takes around 9-25 days.

If you launch with a free App and then it becomes popular you can login and add a fee to download your App, this usually takes up to 4 hours to come in to effect.

If you are considering an App, get in contact, we do special prices for DN Trade members!

Shaun

Top Contributor
PS - Apple will take 30% of any fee that you charge whether for the download or during your App.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Hi Guys,
If you are a business with a budget, developing an app for each handset/operating system may not be affordable, HOWEVER developing a mobile website maybe, as this can be used on ALL handsets/operating systems.

Even so, you don't need a .mobi domain to build a mobile website. You can get the user-agent and redirect to a mobile friendly version of your website which is standards compliant and cross device compatible.

Most big media sites seem to be doing this.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo