What's new

Misinformed End Users - BAD NEWS

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
Hi guys,

Just been on the phone to a few possible end user purchasers for a domain I'm trying to sell.

Out of the 8 I called, 3 of them all said the same thing: "I've been told exact domains have zero value these days because Google penalises you so I wouldn't be interested".

Sure, EMD's might not be as highly favoured as they were, but they still help your cause AND what about type-in traffic? Where are these end users getting their information, because this really doesn't sound like good news from a domainers perspective.

Or is it just a manager's idea of getting rid of a "cold caller"?

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
One of them was a so called "outsourced marketing director" who they patched me through too. I would be worried if this guy was in charge of my so called "multi-national" business

snoopy

Top Contributor
Hi guys,

Just been on the phone to a few possible end user purchasers for a domain I'm trying to sell.

Out of the 8 I called, 3 of them all said the same thing: "I've been told exact domains have zero value these days because Google penalises you so I wouldn't be interested".

What type of people are you speaking, kind of sounds like the IT people at mid-large co's?

Sure, EMD's might not be as highly favoured as they were, but they still help your cause AND what about type-in traffic?

How much type in traffic does the name you are selling have? Say that to most people in regards to a .com.au and they'll ask you for stats, at that point the sales pitch will take a dive.

Where are these end users getting their information, because this really doesn't sound like good news from a domainers perspective.

Or is it just a manager's idea of getting rid of a "cold caller"?

By the sounds of the conversation I'd say IT news stories.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Just a s a general comment I'm hearing this kind of thing all over the place, I wouldn't say it is misinformed though, Google clearly is penalising many low quality sites built on these domains.

Just a s a general comment I'm hearing this kind of thing all over the place, I wouldn't say it is misinformed though, Google clearly is penalising many low quality sites built on these domains.

I am hearing that as well, but a good properly built site with regularly updated original content should still rank well

Top Contributor
A good name will never make a bad content rank.
But..if you have a good name *and* good content..

James

Top Contributor
Well I think you need to have examples ready of Exact Match Domains doing well in the search results.

Just point them to branded examples of generic examples,

Say do a search for "Car Sales" and see carsales.com.au

Say do a search for "Credit Cards" and see creditcards.com.au

Say do a search for "Lawyers" and see Lawyers.com.au

Say do a search for "personal loans" see personalloans.com.au

Have a few examples ready, EMD domains if they are built on a high quality website and have a decent link profiles are still strong, what has been hit are low quality EMD domains, best example you can have for an end user is live/working examples.

Kind Regards,
James Norquay

findtim

Top Contributor
lately it seems i'm james's "flower child" as i keep saying " james is right" but he is !

snoopy's points are also valid in my view.

EMD's are NOT dead, just keep at it, if you can offer someone a first page rank site with valid content on it how can they say EMD is wrong?

content content content just keeps on coming through on every post about this lately.

keep knocking cold doors, it is purely a numbers game.

tim

--------------

story: how to sell EMD's

i use to sell foxtel door to door ( 1998 ), i made a sale every 6th door, ( actually i use to do this without leaving home but thats a long story ) and then i'd train the newbies, we did their stats each day and said to them simply "you knocked 60 doors yesterday and made 3 sales" "we need you to make 6 sales so today you NEED to knock 120 doors"

simple, they got their sales target, THEN you cut them back and say i want you to knock just 80 doors but get the same result which improves their social skills with the potential client, then you take them back up to 120 doors but the sales increase as well.

DavidL

Top Contributor
I can't believe you have so many end users who actually know what an EMD is!

I guess it's better than the usual line 'Why should I pay you for a domain when I can get one from crazy domains for $25?'

snoopy

Top Contributor

I guess it's better than the usual line 'Why should I pay you for a domain when I can get one from crazy domains for $25?'

I suspect the OP is probably targeting mid-large companies, hence talking to an IT boffin who reads the news.

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
I suspect the OP is probably targeting mid-large companies, hence talking to an IT boffin who reads the news.

Yeh I was targetting large companies and talking to their marketing manager. I just couldnt believe how certain and arrogant they were about it. Worrying if you ask me

johno69

Top Contributor
I just couldnt believe how certain and arrogant they were about it. Worrying if you ask me

Because they all know everything about everything, but in reality have not much clue about anything.

The frustrating thing is they are often the decision makers.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Yeh I was targetting large companies and talking to their marketing manager. I just couldnt believe how certain and arrogant they were about it. Worrying if you ask me

If lots of people think something then that is the reality. Perhaps this type of buyer will be out of the market for some time.

At the end of the day though this issue is 100% domain industry led, not only are the lousy MFA sites being squished but the enduser market has been tarnished as well. We can only blame ourselves, not the buyers.

findtim

Top Contributor

EMD: they don't, i explain it simply by showing them the rank for the search term

$25: they don't know and if they do my answer is " go for it and delegate it to my servers" the reply is normally "how, what? " and then i say " thats why i charge a fee "

tim

theseoconsultant

Top Contributor

Yes - exactly that, low-quality sites. EMDs are still very valuable if you develop a worthwhile site.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo