1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Membership Numbers

Discussion in 'DNTrade Updates & News' started by neddy, Jun 15, 2011.

1. neddy

neddy Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    It's the first time I've ever been involved with running a forum, and I thought I'd share the following with you.

Every day, DNT receives between 2 and 10 requests for membership from spammers. Fortunately, (thanks to Soj),
    membership now is not automatic - it needs to be verified.

So every day I do a quick search on IP addresses, and sure enough, the majority are applications from India, Bangladesh,
    Sri Lanka, Phillipines, Romania etc. Got a got feel for spammers now - invariably their user name is a word combined with
    a number. Here is most recent example: ryanchristopher70@gmail.com (Bangalore).

I notice some forums have a lot of these type of "members" - the spammers obviously do it for SEO and to get a signature link. ;)
    The forum's perhaps do it to boost membership numbers?

2. payattention

payattention Archived Member

It's xrumer.. fantastic for profile links and other forum based spam. I don't think any forum owner wants to boost members unless it's a new forum; DNTrade is established so that's not the case.

I'm not sure what value these profile backlinks have anymore. I use to use them quite heavily but they no longer seem effective.

3. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

There is a vbulletin addon for adding challenge questions to the signup process (may even be standard feature now). If you had some very Australian focused questions perhaps also focusing on domain names you could weed most of it out and maybe consider automated again,

Eg,

Who regulates australian domain names? a_ _ _
    Australia's best known domain registrar? me_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Australia's proposed broadband network? _ _ _
    The extension nobody uses? n_ _._ _

4. neddy

neddy Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Good points - will look into it. Thanks Snoopy.

5. Honan

Honan Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    lol

6. Billy01

Billy01 Membership: Community

nobody uses the extension???

ridiculous. Snoopy you must be chained to your pc.
    Still the most undervalued extension in the world. We'll catch up with the rest of the world eventually Snoopy