What's new

Massive day on the drops Thursday

Timmy

Banned
They have more gold mines than BHP and RIO.

I should have been clearer but I meant over hyped domains that arrive in my inbox each day from Drop.

Example

I'm pretty sure baby-carriers is not being searched as often as baby carriers is. There are a couple of other key-word domains that arrive in the email everyday.

It's deceptive in my opinion. Whether it's intended to be so or not is another thing.

Google wouldn't read that domain as [baby-carriers] only [baby carriers] whether there's a hyphen or not. Hyphen = space.

T

WG2010

Archived Member
Google wouldn't read that domain as [baby-carriers] only [baby carriers] whether there's a hyphen or not. Hyphen = space.

T

Hyphen doesn't equal a space at all. It's not an exact match domain. SEOMoz did an article about this a couple months back actually.

WG2010

Archived Member
I would love to read that article.

Cheers

http://www.seomoz.org/blog/some-opinions-on-the-seo-myths-realities-fight

Do Hyphens in Domain Names Really Suck for SEO?

Stephan Says:

Hyphenated domain names are best for SEO. As in: san-diego-real-estate-for-fun-and-profit.com. Separate keywords with hyphens in the rest of the URL after the .com, but not in the domain itself.

Comments Include:

Hyphens in domain names are less than ideal for flagship businesses because they’re hard to communicate, but you better believe Google ranks domains with keywords in them highly, even if they contain hyphens. Again, it’s less than ideal (a hyphen-less .org or .net is preferable to a hyphenated .com), but if the top choices aren’t available, a domain that includes a hyphen can be a decent substitute.

Don’t make a blanket statement that having hyphens in your domain hurts your potential. This is just fallacy. Yes, hyphens suck for direct traffic, as the domain is more likely to spelled incorrectly. But when it comes to search, domains with hyphens in them do just fine.

My Opinion - They suck. Yes, I realize that technically, they may not have a formal algorithmic component (though I'm guessing part of Google's spam filter early warning system does look at hyphens, particularly when there's more than one in a domain name). But, they certainly correlate with worse branding value, which means fewer links and citations, less reputation in the eyes of visitors and potential business partners, less viral spread through word-of-mouth and, as the comments note, lower type-in traffic.

All of those are going to have a 2nd-order impact on rankings through metrics like inbound links, social mentions and usage data (to whatever degree you believe that mya be a signal). Thus, hyphens in domain names do, indeed, suck for SEO (and lots of other stuff). I've never liked SEO practices that operated in a vaccum or didn't consider usability, virality, positioning, branding or other basic marketing techniques. Going back to the analogy above, it's like the aeronautics engineer who doesn't consider seats a necessity. Sure, it flies, but who exactly will pay for a ride?

The "My Opinion" part isn't my opinion, it's Rand's.

Timmy

Banned
Hyphen doesn't equal a space at all. It's not an exact match domain. SEOMoz did an article about this a couple months back actually.

Ah, without reading the article I misunderstood. I didn't mean it was as good as EXACT MATCH, just that it's interpreted as the 2 keywords.

Surely no one searches with the words hyphenated.

James

Top Contributor
Hyphen words are ok, yet when you have an exact match keyword vs a hyphen exact match the one with no hyphen will win every time, I have tested this method many times.

That been said Wines is now at 10k
files 2k.

Last edited:

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Well the stage is set. $10,000+ is already on the board for wines.com.au. Does it have the legs to go $20,000+ (I'm betting it does).

Another interesting record might be set today. I have no idea what the most DROP has netted in one day before, but there are quite a few good domains dropping today. They could very well end up collecting $30,000+ (assuming they catch all the domains)!

Talk about a license to print money...

:D

Andrew do you mind me asking what is the most that DROP has netted in one day on their expiry auctions?

Shane

Top Contributor
Some interesting results, including a few .net.au domains in the mid $xxx range.

I think dogwalking.com.au at $1,888 was probably the bargain of the day.

zhenjie

Top Contributor
Dog walking was surprising. Is it that much of a lucrative industry? Under $2k still not a bad price, but really for the right person/business.

zhenjie

Top Contributor
Hyphen words are ok, yet when you have an exact match keyword vs a hyphen exact match the one with no hyphen will win every time, I have tested this method many times.

One exception to this rule I believe. And that is with the word 't-shirt'. Being partly involved in this industry its one word where its good to have hyphenated t-shirt rather then just tshirt.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I could tell you Chris, but then I'd have to kill you
OK then - can you tell me - was today the highest ever. By my count today netted close to $30,000!

:eek:

19k. Wow.
Wow indeed.

I thought it had to the potential to get $20,000+, but at $19,000 all I know for certain is that someone will shed a tear when they look through their domain portfolio to realise their gem has expired.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I think dogwalking.com.au at $1,888 was probably the bargain of the day.
It's a GOOD domain, but I wouldn't go as far to call it a bargain. I priced it at high $XXX. I couldn't justify going to $X,XXX.

Someone else obviously saw more value than I.

Dog walking was surprising. Is it that much of a lucrative industry?
This was the big thing for me. No doubt you could build a business around the domain, but I didn't see it being BIG business.

One exception to this rule I believe. And that is with the word 't-shirt'. Being partly involved in this industry its one word where its good to have hyphenated t-shirt rather then just tshirt.
I'd still buy tshirt.com.au over t-shirt.com.au

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member