1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Legal Stuff

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by GoogleGirl, Sep 20, 2011.

1. GoogleGirl

GoogleGirl Membership: Community

Just a newbie question.
    For those who have purchased many au domains, how do you go about the legalities? Do you simply register an ABN in your own name or your company name and purchase several good names from a reputable supplier? I guess anyone can get an ABN? The question is, will I need a single ABN as a soletrader for all of my .com.au purchases, or will I need to register an ABN for each "business activity related" .com.au domain address?

2. johno69

johno69 Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    One ABN will do the job.

3. neddy

neddy Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    You can apply for an ABN online here: https://abr.gov.au/

As Johno says, one ABN is fine and you can do it as a Sole Trader.

There is also one other option, and that is to register a Business Name. You can register domains this way, and don't need an ABN. However, there is a cost to this option. In NSW, it is $160 - registration lasts 3 years, renewals are $115. In Victoria, you can do it online, and you get 3 years for $85. Go the Vics!

ABN is by far the best option though, and it is free.