What's new

Kylie Jenner vs Kylie Minogue over "Kylie"

chris

Top Contributor
You've probably all seen this one, but it's been picking up a bit of steam in the media:

http://mashable.com/2016/02/29/kylie-jenner-trademark-nope/

Australian pop artist Kylie Minogue has attempted to block an application by reality TV star Kylie Jenner to trademark her first name, on the basis that it would cause confusion between the two and dilute Minogue's brand.

The notice of opposition contains numerous logos that have been used by Minogue in the decades gone by, pointing to her ownership of the domain www.kylie.com since August 1996, alongside the claim that she is often referred to as simply "Kylie" around the world.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...n/news-story/3eb242852ea680b5145379cc9e74b23a

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/feb/29/kylie-minogue-jenner-trademark-first-name-kardashians

James

Top Contributor
Who is Kylie Jenner?
Kylie Jenner is part of the Kardashians I believe.

Think she promotes here own brands now under her own name, does crazy numbers on social media something like 55 million on Instagram. Brands want to be part of it!

snoopy

Top Contributor
Kylie Minogue should just suck it up and live with it, there will be other famous people called "Kylie".

I think there is a problem with people thinking they have exclusive rights to a common personal name in particular trademark classes. Surely Kylie's mark is going to be as weak as water? Probably all these marks should never have been granted. If Kylie Jenners mark isn't successful she should try and get the other "Kylie" marks declared invalid.

Erwin

Top Contributor
Kylie Minogue should just suck it up and live with it, there will be other famous people called "Kylie".

I think there is a problem with people thinking they have exclusive rights to a common personal name in particular trademark classes. Surely Kylie's mark is going to be as weak as water? Probably all these marks should never have been granted. If Kylie Jenners mark isn't successful she should try and get the other "Kylie" marks declared invalid.
Interesting points raised there..

Shane

Top Contributor

She has no choice but to contest Jenner's application. If Jenner is successful, it could stop "our" Kylie from releasing products using only her first name.

But ultimately I agree, none of them should be able to register their first name as a trademark. It's crazy.

snoopy

Top Contributor
She has no choice but to contest Jenner's application. If Jenner is successful, it could stop "our" Kylie from releasing products using only her first name.

The Australian Kylie has already trademarked her first name in a bunch of different classes. she has a simple choice, to just not contest it.

Shane

Top Contributor
Ignore my previous posts. I assumed Kylie didn't have her first name trademarked in the US. I now see she does.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo