What's new

Is COR Even Necessary?

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Theoretical Chris was again thinking today...

Let's say I see a domain on the NF AMA that I like which the owner registered 3 months ago and for whatever reason doesn't like it any more. I think it's decent so I bid and win the auction.

So the previous owners goes to give me the domain and rather than complete the COR process, which costs the buyer (ie me) what happens if I say "don't worry just give me the domain password and I'll organise the COR at my end once I control the domain", then transfer the domain into my domain hosting account, ie Drop account, but then don't follow through on the COR.

Then let's say some time in the next 21 months (ie 24 months minus the 3 it's been registered for) someone approaches me to buy it and I sell it to them and complete the COR with that person, but with the former owners details still on the domain?

Was just wondering if there was any point in paying for COR until you have to pay renewal? Or even then...

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
If you know and trust the person then sure, I have a few arrangements like that.

But if you don't then it goes without saying you're susceptible to getting burnt.

Honan

Top Contributor
What if the buyer is a crim?
The former owner risks taking the rap
That is why handing over p/w recover codes without COR is dangerous, even though at least one registrar encourages sellers to do that
What if the former owner steals the DN back? It will still have the old ABN in whois. Easy peasy to steal it back
Please buy a $20 DN from me and don't do COR.
I will steal it back just to prove the point :)

Chris.C

Top Contributor
But if you don't then it goes without saying you're susceptible to getting burnt.
How does one get burnt in this situation?

What if the buyer is a crim?
The former owner risks taking the rap
Didn't think of that as much - I suppose that's the other side of the coin.

That is why handing over p/w recover codes without COR is dangerous, even though at least one registrar encourages sellers to do that
Which registrar recommends not going through with a COR when transferring a domain?

What if the former owner steals the DN back? It will still have the old ABN in whois. Easy peasy to steal it back
How is it easy to steal back?

Please buy a $20 DN from me and don't do COR.
I will steal it back just to prove the point :)
Why does $20 need to be involved?

How about you just give me a domain password, I'll transfer it into my account, then you steal it back - if you fail I keep the domain...

:D

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor

Like Joe mentioned they might steal the name back, sell it to someone else, get hit by a bus, company goes into liquidation.. etc.

Point is I don't think you can rely solely on the auth code as they can be changed/reset.

Honan

Top Contributor

Didn't think of that as much - I suppose that's the other side of the coin.

Which registrar recommends not going through with a COR when transferring a domain?

How is it easy to steal back?

Why does $20 need to be involved?

How about you just give me a domain password, I'll transfer it into my account, then you steal it back - if you fail I keep the domain...

:D
Thanks for your kind offer
I pass

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Like Joe mentioned they might steal the name back, sell it to someone else, get hit by a bus, company goes into liquidation.. etc.

Point is I don't think you can rely solely on the auth code as they can be changed/reset.
I don't understand, I thought if they gave you the Auth code and you transferred the domain into your own domain hosting service, how do they have access to changing the domain auth code anymore? Shouldn't the domain no longer be in their account?

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
I don't understand, I thought if they gave you the Auth code and you transferred the domain into your own domain hosting service, how do they have access to changing the domain auth code anymore? Shouldn't the domain no longer be in their account?

You can change the AuthCode via the AusReg website too. You'd need to update the contact email.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
You can change the AuthCode via the AusReg website too. You'd need to update the contact email.
Are you saying that if you transferred the domain into your account without going through the COR process you could prevent someone changing the AUTH code on you by just changing the contact email on the domain?

That should be easy enough should it. I thought the only details you couldn't change were the "Registrant ID" and "Registrant Name".

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Are you saying that if you transferred the domain into your account without going through the COR process you could prevent someone changing the AUTH code on you by just changing the contact email on the domain?

That should be easy enough should it. I thought the only details you couldn't change were the "Registrant ID" and "Registrant Name".

That's right. But for peace of mind I'd still do the COR, because if push came to shove a letter head/photo ID would trump the email address. The previous registrant could claim the email was changed by mistake.

Last edited:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members