What's new

Intro to $10 Domain Auctions

fcdoms

I'm still gathering the info needed to make good decisions regarding options re COR and transfers, timing in the expiry process etc. and want to possibly standardise on one particular process if poss.

Thought this info may be of interest for everyone here too - from the beginning..

To Andrew, the domain I sold here today has 11days left before going into grace period.. is that leaving adequate time to transfer it from Intaserve (or other registrar) to Drop AND be able to do it without cost other than the COR at Drop?

I'm figuring that might be what I'll do - but could you break down that process, in case I'm stuck with a $127 COR? (I have not yet heard back from my buyer - so have not begun the process).

Thanks Andrew - to Ned too for a really good platform and everyone else for the good info.

[EDIT] Update..The best solution would seem to be the buyer transfers the domain to their account (at Drop or VIP etc) - and the COR is applied there. Was probably expecting this process to have more hurdles - Hope that helps someone else.

Last edited:

neddy

Top Contributor
Hi Ben - I'll summarise some points which I hope help.

• If a domain hasn't expired yet (I'm not talking about the additional 30 day grace period), you can transfer it into Drop or Ventra for free and without paying a renewal fee. This takes 2 full days from the time the authority link is clicked (in the confirmation email they send you). So to be safe, I would allow 7 days.

• If a domain is already expired - but in the 30 day grace period - you cannot transfer it out to another registrar. If it's not in Drop or Ventra, then you have to pay whatever the existing registrar charges for COR. ZipHosting is also $29.95 from memory - others are much more expensive.

• As far as our little $10 Auctions are concerned, I suggested in the rules that the seller charge the buyer the COR fee and include it on the invoice, and thus be in control of the COR process. Much easier that way.

• If the domain is with a more expensive Registrar, most sellers (in the actual listing) would offer to move it to either Drop or Ventra.
:)

fcdoms

Excellent Ned - thank you! Sincere thanks also to Drop and Ventra particularly for helping evolve the COR process - it is that kind of excellence which deservedly make them leaders in this space.

Main points all accounted for. Hopefully it's more clear to anyone thinking of participating in these auctions that it can be a process that's worth the effort.

Takeaways:

I'll place into these auctions domains which are at least 9days pre-expiry (maybe I'll go 14 days methinks just to take weekends etc into account).

Even if I'm only considering dropping a domain in future, it becomes very worthwhile to get in the habit of transferring to a registrar with lesser COR well in advance to prevent both buyer and seller being stuck with an unnecessary expense.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo