What's new

Interesting..

TassieSEO

Thought this was interesting. Imagine the number of hits the domain steam.com would get a day. The page has only a few words which say "Steam.com is the former home of Steam Tunnel Operations." It is not for sale.

No advertising or anything. Valuate.com gives it $306K
Term frequency: 53,900,000 Search popularity: 206,250

What a waste :)
Todd

James

Top Contributor
The thing is if you are looking at Google Search volume for a specific term the direct type ins for a domain will be far lower. For example direct type ins on domains might be 1% or less of a search volume query on google.

Moral of the story is, Direct type ins of domains are lower volume.

findtim

Top Contributor
I agree with james, there are also many posts about this, basically a short seemingly great domain can actually SUCK.

"steam" , steam what? engines, irons, cleaning, power....................

you would end up with heaps of hits and huge bounce rate.

"cakes" , is that buy cakes, make cakes, cake recipes ?

what I am saying is the figures can not always give you the answer

"steamcleaners.com" IMO would be a better domain then steam if you were selling steam cleaners.

----------------------------------------

Question: what is PYE divided by 24 ? = 0.13089....................

Question: what is PIE divided by 24 ? = 24 pieces of a pie :)

you see, 2 completely different answers, so the moral is " what is the end use " ? and will it be confused with something else.

creditcards.com.au is far better then credit.com

tim

nt81

Top Contributor
As someone who has wrongly tried to use steam.com to get to the correct site : steampowered.com yeah it is kind of a waste.

edit : I was a direct address bar type in also :) As I suspect a lot of people would be.

But people going to it are probably looking for Valve gaming software, hence the uber hits.

TassieSEO

Steam cleaners? cakes??? WTF? Ok.. you guys are not gamers right? :)

Steam is the worlds biggest pc gaming distribution platforms..

Wiki entry of steam:

As of January 2014, there are over 3000 games available through Steam[6] and 75 million "active" users.[7] In February 2014, it was announced that Steam had surpassed 7.5 million concurrent users.[7] In October 2013, it was estimated that 75% of purchased games downloaded for the PC are through Steam.

That was my point :) you would naturally assume a company this big would own steam.com. But it doesnt. You'd also have to assume a company this big has approached the owner to try to buy it and that an offer would be pretty generous. A little bit more interesting than steam cleaners Tim :)

p.s Thank nt81.. someone got me :)

Horshack

Top Contributor
The average Joe would never know about the pc gaming distribution platform or type in the word steam expecting to find one so I think the domain name sucks. The $300k value makes me laugh because I can see old timers searching for model steam trains and that is about it really.

TassieSEO

The average Joe would never know about the pc gaming distribution platform or type in the word steam expecting to find one so I think the domain name sucks. The $300k value makes me laugh because I can see old timers searching for model steam trains and that is about it really.

Yeah. poor multi billion dollar company. They sure could have used your smart advice Horshack.

nt81

Top Contributor

The uh, 40 million Gamers who use the Steam Platform would probably disagree :)

Horshack

Top Contributor
Yeah. poor multi billion dollar company. They sure could have used your smart advice Horshack.
They have by not wasting their money buying the domain steam.com. Those of you in the pc/gaming/software etc industry or gamers in general may know who this company is but the average Joe which is the other 7 billion people on the planet would have no idea and would not expect to search the word steam to find information on a software company. I'm surprised that you find this hard to believe or maybe it's time to get out a bit more from behind your game console or pc.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo