What's new

intelligent child

findtim

Top Contributor
As i write this i KNOW people will be laughing at my typos ! but my 6 year old girl is being classed as genius by her school and we are now making decisions on how to move forward, yes i am the father LOL ? yes its a public school but they right now aren't helping

anyway this is an HONEST post of what to do? has anyone had experience with this ? as i think dnt as a "mindgroup "

is there any testing of IQ in melbourne that is reputable? she is in grade one and boreddddddddddddd, she reads as a 8yr old today and a 9 yr old tomorrow, then a 10 year old ! we can NOT keep up with her, plus her understanding of what she reads is exact, she then cross references it to create new answers.

i'm not boasting, just wanted to know if any one had some insight?

we are, she is, frustrated, i am asking this question because i feel i am surrounded by very intelligent people and would love your advice.

tim

Offtap

Nice problem to have!

My advice would be get in touch with someone from MENSA in Melbourne. I'm not a paid up member anymore but my best guess is someone there would be able to head you in the right direction.

They could certainly help you with testing but more importantly they might be aware of opportunities for your daughter where she won't be alienated from others her own age.

findtim

Top Contributor
just checked my PM's

thanks guys ! the info, links and offers were really nice. I almost didn't create the thread but thought i'd put it out there and take a chance.

thanks heaps

Reactions: Cal

Honan

Top Contributor
What happened then . I typed in the URL for hendersons and it posted their meta description??

chris

Top Contributor
What happened then . I typed in the URL for hendersons and it posted their meta description??

Well spotted ;)

It's still a link, but you're right it changes the anchor text. It's the SEO mod that does that when I upgraded it during the last site update.

DavidL

Top Contributor
Well spotted ;)

It's still a link, but you're right it changes the anchor text. It's the SEO mod that does that when I upgraded it during the last site update.

Do you think this is a mod worth keeping? Makes the links look funny and, post penguin, not sure it offers any real benefit to the linked site (which I'm guessing is the original aim of the mod?)

chris

Top Contributor
Do you think this is a mod worth keeping? Makes the links look funny and, post penguin, not sure it offers any real benefit to the linked site (which I'm guessing is the original aim of the mod?)

Hi David, it's part of the SEO mod, will look at turning it off tonight.

I wasn't a fan since it hides the domain and I think it makes links harder to spot if there are a few, but I wasn't sure if it was just me.

Especially for a domain forum, hiding the domain probably isn't cool :)

Apologies for hijacking the thread Tim!

Cheers,
Chris

findtim

Top Contributor
Apologies for hijacking the thread Tim!

Cheers,
Chris

all cool, Ruby got her glasses today as she was squinting 1 eye when reading, turns out she needs so correction in her left eye, thus she has learnt to read with just 1 eye being able to see the words !!!

don't we feel bad as parents but the thing is a child doesn't know any different and thinks that "vision" is normal, every teacher she has had didn't pick it up either but thats not their fault as you don't look for things like that when theres no learning problems i guess.

when i look through her glasses i just can not believe how fuzzy the words would have been for her, amazing.

anyone thinking this might also for some kid a member knows here's were to start
ACBO - The Australasian College of Behavioural Optometrists

tim

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
My opinion - let your daughter live a normal life like everyone else in her class. Speak with the teacher and organise for harder work to be given to her - but if there is one thing I would not do is put her under the pressure of too much extra curricular learning. There are more ways to engage and develop a young child than to simply increase learning content/difficulty.

Source: This was me 10 years ago.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members