What's new

Information Superhighway

Ash

Top Contributor
Here's a random thought that I'll randomly place here; remember when they used to call the Internet the 'information superhighway'?

No reason for this post but to reminisce some of the funny old sayings from the Internet.

What about 'the millenium bug'... any others?

findtim

Top Contributor
That just reminded me... what about mIRC!

for anyone who doesn't like my unpunctuated elongated stories skip over this as it has no point other then to ICQ, landline internet, 56K friendly and AOL.

--------------------

@ 1996-7 AOL tried to take over australia and they decided putting a cd on the cover of every computer mag was the way to do it offereing a free months service, THATS what got me onto the internet, 1 month free and then cancel, but then ozemail did the same thing so i had another month free, and then i used my girlfriends credit card and did the same again so i had 4 months free ...easy.

my girlfriend went to visit her sister in canberra ( i was in brissie) so phone calls were still expensive and we found out about ICQ somehow?

but once we got off the chat i started chatting with others, one night i was chatting with a girl from canada and the chat screen turned yellow? i asked her why and she said i like your chat as it went on she changed it to orange and then red ! so i was out of that chat being a newbie to the internet.

but it got my mindthinking about online info.

another night i was chatting to a kid in new zealand, he told me what town he lived in and we were just talking about software, he told me a few websites that he could go to and track ME !!! this kid was 12 years old. so i ended that chat.

but once again i thought about it.

So i created a new account under a sudo, totally fake and as a test i became a girl in Zimbabwe, 23yr , i was obviously gorgeous of mixed background from my Zim mum and my pommie father, well educated you get the drift.

and i went out on the TOWN ! on ICQ, well what a laugh.

out of all the millions of people on ICQ i start chatting with a guy, the silly guy didn't have a sudo, his listed email address was a LOCAL Ipswich ISP address and he had used part of his name as his email address.

he thought i was in ZIM, and start coming onto me !

so within minutes i had tracked him ( thanks to the NZ kids info ) got his address, got his phone number, and found out that he worked for the QLD Gov on **floor of number *** george st brissie,

His childs school was so progressive that they had a website and i could tell she was in the first grade back in 1996-ish

I was actually working down in ipswich at the time, driving down each day, i past his house with roses in his front garden.

next night the guy ICQ's me, and i tell him everything, he shits himself, i don't think he has been online since !!!!

Just shows you that you can really only be honest with this online world.

Anyway, i think he is just lucky it was me and not someone that wanted to hurt him.

i stopped using ICQ after that.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members