What's new

Infographic: Correlation vs Causation

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Something to be considered when analysing data, especially when you are A/B or multivariate testing.

You’re going to look at things day over day. But are things improving week over week? You have to account for where your data is, what time of year it is, and what’s going on.

Source: http://outspokenmedia.com/internet-marketing-conferences/the-great-correlation-vs-causation-debate/

For example, you may have been quick to blame the Panda updates for a drop in traffic or the state of the economy for a poor conversation rate.. but what other variables are at play?

Created by SEOmoz (Copyright ©2011).

And here is a practical Ecommerce example:

Last June, Canada Post went on a lengthy strike/lockout, and many ecommerce sites around the world were affected, as were consumers. On my iddy-biddy Etsy site, I saw a significant drop in orders – 30% down from the previous month, and 40% less than the following month. Pop quiz – is this correlation or causation?

Sounds like causation, right? Well, I think it’s safe to say that a carrier strike most definitely prevents sales which negatively impacts revenue. No doubt about it. But is it correct to quantify the strike as having a 30-40% impact on sales?

Nope. There are many other variables that may have impacted my May, June and July sales – June is post-Mother’s Day and gifting attention turns to Dads n’ Grads, for which my product line is less of a fit. Etsy “front page” and email newsletter features that may have occurred during these months have a major impact on traffic and sales and are serendipitous, outside my control. There may have been a change in Etsy’s search algorithm that affected my shop items. I change my merchandising and added a new line of cell phone cases in June – an increase in items for sale should correspond with an increase of sales.

The point is, without considering these variables, I may wrongly conclude that the interruption of postal service was responsible for such a large percentage of sales. Replace “postal service” with “website redesign” or “10% off promotion” or “site outage” and you get the idea – we operate our ecommerce marketing and optimization programs in a vast ecosystem of variables and uncontrollable and unmeasurable events. It’s very, very, very difficult to create an experiment that controls for all the factors that may be influencing our performance metrics.

Source: Get Elastic Ecommerce Blog

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members