What's new

Important Domain Question Please Read!

dylanh91

Hey so noticing that every year the Melbournecup seems to be getting bigger nationally and now somewhat globally i used a bit of brain storming and i picked up a domain which i think has HUGE potential for this specific niche.

MELBOURNECUP.TV

The way i see it being used is simple, Live streaming of the race.
this year i was stuck behind my computer not being able to watch the race and only finding a single streaming site which was abc.

Yes this race only happens once a year but it is the second biggest horse race in the world this domain has to have some type of value?

can you guys see it aswell or is it just me

Please help me out here!

Thanks Dylan

findtim

Top Contributor
you are heading for trouble IMO

other dnt members have been burnt going down this path, for even less specific domains.

if i was you i would do a COR to mickey mouse c/o disneyland

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
let me put it another way !

OHHH WOWWWW, its 2014 and nobody else has thought of doing this !!!!!

i must be the first to think of it :D

dylanh91

hmm yeah i understand where you are coming from, so what would you suggest i do? because that disneyland refrence made no sense to me.

Thanks for your tip there by the way thought it was to good to be true ha.

Offtap

Dylan - I had a melbourne cup domain and someone here reported it.

So I expect yours will go the same way here in about 48hours, when the same a..hole goes out of their way to do the same to you.

The first you will know of it will be a legal letter from the VRC who own the trademark "Melbourne Cup"

snoopy

Top Contributor
So who is going to provide the steam, and how is it going to make money?

Regardless of trademark issues I think this is not a good domain.

James

Top Contributor
Too many legal issues with this
name. Tv is not a great extension as well I just let a good one expire as they are like $50 to renew lol

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Too many legal issues with this
name. Tv is not a great extension as well I just let a good one expire as they are like $50 to renew lol

About $25 a year at dynadot, but a once a year event on top of trademark issue adds up to being a dud. I have some .tv's and snoopy does too, your idea of something video/stream is correct but this is not the best choice
~
If you must reg a .Tv there is a token at dynadot TAKETV and you get them for $9 a year (only when you reg, even for multiple years, not renewals) Most folk do a trademark search before regging a name ...... it's a good idea

James

Top Contributor
They wanted $50 to renew a .Tv on Go daddy the other day, the domain only made $20 in two years so I let it drop. Can't bother keeping junk anymore only want good names.

dylanh91

yeah i completely understand where i went wrong.

As i stated in the welcoming post im brand new to, got to learn the hard was i guess.

What do you guys suggest i do to stay out of trouble?

Im a 22 year old psych student who really cant afford and legal matters right now.....

So who is going to provide the steam, and how is it going to make money?

Regardless of trademark issues I think this is not a good domain.

The domain itself i would been to to go place to watch the race once a year online,Especially for those overseas or travelling out of Australia for work etc.

but yeah guys what do i do from here? where is the delete domain button on go daddy LOL.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Dylan - I had a melbourne cup domain and someone here reported it.

So I expect yours will go the same way here in about 48hours, when the same a..hole goes out of their way to do the same to you.

The first you will know of it will be a legal letter from the VRC who own the trademark "Melbourne Cup"

How do you know it was from here?

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
There are already websites owned or sponsored by corporate bookmakers that stream lots of races for "free".

Recently there has been a big push into content marketing for this vertical, with the likes of races.com, punters.com.au etc emerging. And at least one other big player is looking to disrupt this space in the future.

Had to see this name competing in that space, legal issue aside.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
They wanted $50 to renew a .Tv on Go daddy the other day, the domain only made $20 in two years so I let it drop. Can't bother keeping junk anymore only want good names.

Well known godaddy are way too expensive for .tv .. dynadot are one of the cheaper with name.com i think

findtim

Top Contributor
against the millions of dollars the others are spending + your potential legal issues, i think it will look like this

http://screencast.com/t/k2LwsZ1VW

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
but yeah guys what do i do from here? where is the delete domain button on go daddy LOL

i had a domain with commonwealth games in it, i had done NOTHING with the domain and got an email stating i was to not use the name as it was trademarked, i think a few members got the same email as they did a whitewash at one stage.

so all i did was replied to the email that i wouldn't use it and let it drop once it expired.

i did nothing with the domain, it dropped, and i also never got a reply from them.

so my suggestion is just don't touch it, leave it blank.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members