What's new

I need help about hacker proofing my domains and businesses

orange

Last updated: June 8, 2012
Total number of IP addresses:
Total number of allocated and assigned IP addresses:
Total number of BOGON IPs:

Makes me weak at the knees when I think how to ban some ip's/domains/countries.

I have little doubt stopping traffic from China and Russia, Ukraine and a few USA Folks will not damage my business one bit.

So how to do it so it actually works?

Any thoughts on this and where to report the offending ip addresses would be greatly appreciated.

I tried to search for any posts about this, might of missed it.

Thanks
Paul

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
I'm no expert either but I did use one of the features in cpanel to block Russia and China based ip addresses.

Probably easiest to google it to see how.

findtim

Top Contributor
this isn't the answer to your question but i think valid for your post.

i've been hacked once in 11 years, it happened all in one day on 13 domains.

it wasn't malicious, they just replaced my index file so i think it was just kids trying stuff out.

first thing i did was contact my server (hostgator) and all sites were restored to "the previous sunday" within a few hours, I changed passwords and no problems since.

i have since increased the amount of characters in my domain passwords making it more difficult to hack, i was at 4 characters but now i am at 8

I also backup my sites and clients sites onto my own terabyte drives EVERYTIME i touch them

As for blocking russia etc ! anyone that wants and can attack your site knows how to get around your blocks, its like locking your houses front door " it only keeps the honest people away"

tim

Lucas

Top Contributor
Blocking visitors based on their IP address is not really a great solution to not get hacked, in my opinion. It is trivial for a hacker to use an exploited server or open proxy with an ip address in your non-banned range.

It is far better to make sure your server / hosting is properly secured and your websites are written well without security holes in them. If you are writing your own websites just make sure that ALL inputs (eg. user input and url variables) are checked and validated. Many hacks on standard websites are achieved through mysql injection or upload vulnerabilities (ie. allowing someone to upload a dangerous file to your server).

Blocking visitors from China, Russia etc doesn't stop a kid in Australia or New Zealand, for example, hacking your site.

Secure your server / website properly, use strong passwords and keep good backups and you will be fine 99.99% of the time.

orange

Thanks for all the replies

My hosting tech has advised me that banning whole countries will make the server very slow so I will be trying to keep everything more up to date, this being the main cause of the problem.

some older script was hacked

thanks again
Paul

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads