What's new

I don't need google !

findtim

Top Contributor
Been thinking lately about changing some of my strategies, i do not like what google is doing with Google+ and as of last night seomeetup its really solidified it for me, i'm not going to change completely but future online investments might have to meet different criteria.

eg: as you all know i am "buy,build,sell" so my thinking is there are alot of domain names out there that make HEAPS of money that most of us would look at on a drop and not even blink. here's some examples

you will need to go back in your mind to "before you knew what you know now"

google, yahoo, harveynorman, ozsale, dailydeals , and i know i don't ahve to go on.

i'm talking to clients, bricks and mortar, EVERY DAY and they still do traditional advertising, ALL of us still watch tv, lsten to the radio in our cars and read the FREE local newspaper........ these things are just not dying ( ok yes, yellowpages has and it their own bloody fault )

there is sooooo much quality in what we may see as crap domains BUT FOR THE RIGHT BUSINESS its gold, and essentially the internet is about information and BUSINESS.

these domains do not need google, imagine a "google proof world" , it actually exists, its called www.harveynorman.com.au , www.sanitarium.com.au.

YES, you can say they spend millions on their brand recognition but this is STILL being done LOCALLY via low cost trad media

just my thoughts ! open for opinions as always.

tim

GGroup

Hi Tim,

Can you explain a bit further? Interesting but I don't really understand what you mean...

findtim

Top Contributor
sanitarium.com.au as a name means NOTHING, it only exists because of the traditional media that has gone behind it.

its about helping businesses who use trad media and will contiinue to do so, to get them the right domain name to create an online identity.

yes they may have a business name, most likely if you registered the same domain name it would be HELL to brand eg: a business once approached me and their business name was shoppe492 , because they liked the way shoppe was spelt when they registered the name in 1962 !!! and they were at 492 smith street, so shoppe492 seemed logical to them but as for it as a .com.au it sucks

They are limited to their "circle of influence" which basically is how far the local radio broadcasts.

So its not about just selling domain names but selling strategies

tim

James

Top Contributor
But that's the thing traditional media campaigns still cost a lot and you can drive crazy traffic to a website.

Take for example when a website gets on a program like Today Tonight, it has a AUS wide reach and 1 million viewers, you can get 100k visitors from a feature and it is free.
Take for example the recent showing of "The Iconic".

But yeah I usually work on big budget campaigns, big brands like PPC because they can throw it up instantly and track it all, teaching them about SEO takes a bit longer you need to run small budget test campaigns to prove trust and do education behind it.

For more info on in house SEO for big brands check out my presso I did at SMX - http://www.slideshare.net/connections8/effective-inhouse-seo-smx-sydney-2012

Kind Regards.

findtim

Top Contributor
thanks james for the input, what i'm trying to describe is " no google" thus straight to the URL

I'm thinking thats to only real protection you have, look at what panda/penguin did to so many web businesses.

so google becomes a greedy fully paid first page and businesses move back to trad media , this will open the door for the "next google"

tim

James

Top Contributor
thanks james for the input, what i'm trying to describe is " no google" thus straight to the URL

I'm thinking thats to only real protection you have, look at what panda/penguin did to so many web businesses.

so google becomes a greedy fully paid first page and businesses move back to trad media , this will open the door for the "next google"

tim

Yeah I get more what you mean,

Well that is why the Australian market needs to adopt more use of Bing,
In the US market Bing has like 30% market share so a bing strategy is key, but in Australia we see like 95% Google.

I agree I dont like to see Google as key element, hence I target a huge amount of traffic via social media sites, I have a few sites which get more traffic from social media than from Search ;)

findtim

Top Contributor
you're going to chringe but i HATE facebook ( i hate google + even more ), i struggle to be a part of social media and outsource ALL my facebook stuff, i'm just sticking my head in the sand.

DNT is far more interesting to me then knowing one of my "sudo friends" just had a zumba class !!

But i see that bing is working in with facebook but i don't see they have it "right" at the moment, get that working well and googles in trouble.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member