What's new

Hyphen domains died today...

Shane

Top Contributor
Today's drops proved that hyphen domains are pretty much worthless.

carinsurance.com.au would be a mid six-figure domain (maybe more?), however car-insurance.com.au couldn't even crack $1,000.

findtim

Top Contributor
been dead for a long time, it surprises me how many potential clients come to me and say they have a domain name and its out to be a hyphen or .net, and they always so proud to have it !!!!! like "they beat the system"
"i can't believe it wasn't taken" is so common a response, then i die when they say they have already got it on their business cards etc
a few months ago i built a small website for a yearly event on their .com.au, turns out they have formed an ORG and now they think its a good idea to CLOSE the current domain and switch to the .org.au "because that is what they are........."
how to drop into obscurity quickly, i managed to convince them to at least a landing page on .com.au linking to .org.au
tim

geodomains

Top Contributor
Today's drops proved that hyphen domains are pretty much worthless.

carinsurance.com.au would be a mid six-figure domain (maybe more?), however car-insurance.com.au couldn't even crack $1,000.
Well guys my website www.gutter-guard.com.au is kicking butt, I thought car-insurance.com.au was a bargain.
I've seen so many hyphens rank number 1 over the years, it's all about links and quality content.

Don

findtim

Top Contributor
well i agree with links and quality content, and G-G looks a million dollars, very sticky, shows authority

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Just back from Germany and most German companies use the hyphen still in their company names. I was in shock. Hyphens died for .com.au and .com's more than 15 years ago. Some here probably wasted some $$ learning from it.

Don you can make money out of anything probably hyphens included.. go crazy and grab them all.. most are still available ..... wait maybe thats another reason for no new .au extension is needed as millions of hyphens are still available!.... Hyphens.. come on ausregistry and auda start promoting hyphens for people to protect their .com.au investments.... $$$$$$ !! :)

Erwin

Top Contributor
It's interesting how one country actively uses hyphens while others despise using it..

Could it be that companies may start registering hyphenated .com.au names so that if auDA decides to go ahead, and open up .au at the 2nd level, they stand a chance in obtaining their desired name!?!
(I'm not suggesting car- insurance is using this tactic btw)

snoopy

Top Contributor
Price sounds high to me, some fraction of 1% is where it should be. I really doubt there is much in the way of SEO benefits with this name any more. In terms of functioning as a web address (i.e. memorability) it is terrible so where is the "juice" with a name like this?

findtim

Top Contributor
Could it be that companies may start registering hyphenated .com.au names so that if auDA decides to go ahead, and open up .au at the 2nd level, they stand a chance in obtaining their desired name!?!
i doubt it but i'd assume they would have first dibs at car-insurance.au but certainly absolutely no right to compete for carinsurance.au IMO

tim

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I once read the German approach for hyphens is because of their long words, hyphens help to break it up and make it easier to read ........just saying

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo