What's new

Hyperthetical

koomel

What would a hyperthetical domain be worth with the following figures.

160,000 Local exacts per month @ $2.27

Chris.C

Top Contributor
The short answer is, what someone's willing to pay for it.

Though if you want us to just appraise the domain we don't have enough detail.

What's the ad comp?

What are the phrase results?

What's the profit per sale of the item/service?

snoopy

Top Contributor
If it is genuine bidding and the stats are genuinely right I'd say a lot, possibly in 6 figures.

160,000 searches is not far off "realestate" and 3 times the search number for "cars".

I personally have a hard time believing there is any generic term with 160,000 exact local searches and genuine bidding on the term to $2.27. These huge terms are usually vague in economic focus.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
What's the ad comp?

And what does $3000/month mean? How much revenue is there per sale (ie a car sells for $10,000 - $20,000, camping tents sell for $100 - $500)?

findtim

Top Contributor
If it is genuine bidding and the stats are genuinely right I'd say a lot, possibly in 6 figures.

160,000 searches is not far off "realestate" and 3 times the search number for "cars".

I personally have a hard time believing there is any generic term with 160,000 exact local searches and genuine bidding on the term to $2.27. These huge terms are usually vague in economic focus.

have to agree with snoopy on this one.

added to this you have 25 posts under your belt , then come in with a thread like this ! just doesn't make sense to me.

newbies, i love newbies, i want to help them but this is a big question with no info attached.

no matter what answer i or anyone else would give you it would be worthless, just not enough info.

sex, gets 210K p/m so you must have a premium domain to get 160K p/m

I think i have wasted my time on this post, i think its all BULL, please prove me wrong as i would like to know.

tim

koomel

I think i have wasted my time on this post, i think its all BULL, please prove me wrong as i would like to know.

I did say it was Hyperthetical, however I am thinking outside the square here, just trying to introduce a different concept to users and to show that these numbers are attainable.

There is no better example of futility than doing the same things over and over again and hoping for a better result.

I am in the early stages of developing this site and will reveal all as it unwinds.
I may get burnt, I may not, either way I will disclose what happens.
Just trying to stimulate you guys into constructive comments on different concepts for the benefit of us all.
You have not wasted your time, I just trust you appreciate that some things must remain confidential at least until the site is up and running.
I guess the old risk versus reward comes into play here, I don't mind the risk in this case.

koomel

sex, gets 210K p/m so you must have a premium domain to get 160K p/m

sex.com.au 201,000 Exact local monthly. Value ?
sexau.com.au 140 Exact local monthly. Value ?

cars.com.au 49,500 Exact local monthly @ $6.54. Value ?
carsau.com.au 220 Exact local monthly @ $2.22 Value ?

Is carsau.com.au such a bad domain name that when using a percentage of exacts it is theoretically worth less than .01 % of cars.com.au

I don't think so!!!

How much of a discount do you associate with the au added, 50%, 90%.
At a 90% discount you end up with an equivalent valuation of a domain with comparable figues of 4950 Exacts @ $6.54, not to be sneezed at.

A search query for cars has the potential, if carsau is developed correctly to land it amongst carsales, drive, carpoint etc.

While I own quite a few domains with the added au it is not my intention to ramp them, only to make others aware of options other than the [exact]/B] mania.

goldnugget

Top Contributor
It may sound good to you in theory but I would be careful thinking that just by adding Au will set you apart from the other sites. From AuDa, if they think that you are riding off someone elses site and a complaint is made then they can shut you down (as far as I'm aware).

cars.com.au as the example could be considered the Australian 'cars' website (because its a DotcomAu), if you do the same thing with carsAu.com.au then the average jo shmo would think that you are talking about probably the same site...that is where your problem is and can get ugly real quick.

aus11

Top Contributor

Is carsau.com.au such a bad domain name that when using a percentage of exacts it is theoretically worth less than .01 % of cars.com.au

In theory it might sound like a good idea, but the domain reads badly (the double 'au' sounds like a mistake) and looks horrible from branding perspective.

Shane

Top Contributor
sex.com.au 201,000 Exact local monthly. Value ?
sexau.com.au 140 Exact local monthly. Value ?

I don't think so!!!

At a 90% discount you end up with an equivalent valuation of a domain with comparable figues of 4950 Exacts @ $6.54, not to be sneezed at.

I'd be going with a 99.9% discount. Those domains with AU added on the end are not comparable in the slightest.

I wouldn't pay reg fee for sexau.com.au or carsau.com.au.

While I own quite a few domains with the added au it is not my intention to ramp them, only to make others aware of options other than the exact mania.

Spend your money on buying some decent names on the drops or aftermarket. The sooner you realise your mistakes the sooner you'll actually start making some money.

If you keep registering your partial match domains and generics with AU added on the end you'll never have any decent success in this game.

Chris.C

Top Contributor

Koomel mate, you're a dreamer, not that there is anything wrong with that, but please don't bank your life savings on this idea, you'll only be making domain registrars and AUDA all the wealthier.

But SERIOUSLY, carsau isn't even worth 0.1% of cars.com.au, and it's very simple to prove.

Go buy some domain with au at the end, then list it on the NetFleet AMA for no reserve auction (don't worry it's free). If the domain gets to $500 then I stand corrected it is worth 0.1% of cars.com.au...

...but I suspect it will struggle to get a bid and even if it did it won't reach $50 which will mean it is worth less than 0.01% of cars.com.au

Then you can give up on this dream of partial domains being valuable or domains tagged with irrelevant suffixes.

koomel

Cars.com.au Means that the website is registered in the Australian domain hence .au
Presumedly this site would be relevent to cars.

.com originally was intended to represent a business on the Internet.
Cars.com could be construed as a business relevent to cars anywhere in the world. Australians however perceive this to mean it is a business in the US relevent to cars.
CarsAu.com.au is very clear in that it is relevent to cars in Au (Australia) and that the site was registered in the Australian (.com) domain.

AuCars.com.au is another variation meaning the site is relevent to Australian (Au) cars and registered in the .au (Australian) domain.

Most people relate to Au as meaning Australia and so does Google.
There is no ambignuity, CarsAu.com.au is precisely what the general public (Google searchers and customers) believe it to be.
From what I have seen on this site convinces me that adding an au to a highly disirable Exact Match is a far better option than some of the names I have seen mentioned on this forum.

Travau.com is definately not the most suitable name for a travel related site in Australia, however TravelAu.com.au is. How clear is Travel Australia.

Come on guys, use your imagination and be a little creative.

koomel

Then you can give up on this dream of partial domains being valuable or domains tagged with irrelevant suffixes.

Adding the abreviation for Australia (au) to a desirable exact match domain name is not an irrelevant suffix.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Come on guys, use your imagination and be a little creative.
That's the difference between you and everyone else on these forums... you're being "creative" while we are trying to "make money".

:cool:

What YOU THINK is creative doesn't matter diddly squat if no one else thinks it offers value and is willing to open their wallet and part with real world money.

And it doesn't matter how much you polish a turd, it's still a turd. And these "creative" domain ideas are just well polished turds.

I've been making money from the internet since I was 13 and have been making a full time living from it since I was 19. I'm now 27. I've seen A LOT "wishful thinking" in that time. You can choose to take my advice and just buy 1 of these sorts of domain and then list it for sale on the NF AMA and get a REAL reflection of value or you can dump your life savings, time and energy into a delusional fantasy. It's your call.

For me it's a no brainer - it's a $20 experiment. If you're right, you buy as many as you can. If you are wrong you save yourself a boatload of pain and heartache.

Either way I'm done with trying to illuminate you of your folly. Unfortunately I need to focus on "making money".

My parting advice is this - you need to stop trying to make yourself rich with cute ideas and expecting other people to swallow them. People that actually get rich offer huge amounts of "value" to others - that's why they give them money in the first place.

Domaining is no different. Great domains sells themselves precisely because they offer huge amounts of value to the buyers.

This "value" is mostly in the form of SEO/PPC benefit, type in traffic, brandability and scarcity. Your partials and prefix/suffix domains don't offer any of these key traits.

No intelligent buyer will see "huge value" in partials or prefix/suffix domains.

Best of luck with it all.

koomel

I've been making money from the internet since I was 13 and have been making a full time living from it since I was 19. I'm now 27.

I'm nearly 60 and have seen the Internet devlope since its inception.

I am yet to meet a 27 year old wise man.

goldnugget

Top Contributor
While that comment wasnt directed at me, I'll say age has nothing to do with anything. I have met several foolish old men and women in my life too.

Bottom line is this...give the market (being...the 'general public' doing the searches online) what they want....To know what they want....heck thats a thread in itself.

It doesnt matter what we think, its what the public thinks and wants that makes the $$$.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member