What's new

http://www.local.com.au/

Chumby

Top Contributor
drink.com was a site dedicated to a blokes pet hampster (mid ninties) ...

surely that is the biggest shocker ever...

Cheers
Chumby

Last edited:

marketingweb

Top Contributor
I know a 10 times worse site on a nearly (but not quite) as good domain.

Seriously the site ranks on page 2 for "business directory" (was recently on page 1) and the site is just s**t. He even has an advertisment at the top to an affiliate program I remember from the 90's (all advantage) that no longer exists!

http://www.businessdirectory.com.au/

Awesome domain, I even contacted the guy and wanted to know if he would be interested selling it.

He said no - he had a lot of existing listings he had sold that he couldn't give up.

I said - no worries - free listings for all existing clients on my new fantastic directory. He says not interested.

I say - how about a partnership - you keep the domain name ownership, I redevelop the site, you get a cut of the profits. Not interested he says.

I haven't even given you a figure yet I say, should I at least give you one so you can think it over? Look mate he says, I said i'm just not interested ok!

So, incase you were wondering, he isn't interested in selling his domain!

marketingweb

Top Contributor
drink.com.au was a site dedicated to a blokes pet hampster (mid ninties) ...

surely that is the biggest shocker ever...

Cheers
Chumby

drink.com.au is now currently owned by Schweppes, but doesn't even resolve to a page. Gives me a HTTP 400 - bad request

Bloody amateurs in big business land!

Shaun

Top Contributor
I love the two websites listed above (businessdirectory.com.au and local.com.au), perfect to buy, aged domains, underachievers. Perfect!

But you're right, if they wont sell, let's just hope they expire!

Oz.

Top Contributor
I know a 10 times worse site on a nearly (but not quite) as good domain.

Seriously the site ranks on page 2 for "business directory" (was recently on page 1) and the site is just s**t. He even has an advertisment at the top to an affiliate program I remember from the 90's (all advantage) that no longer exists!

http://www.businessdirectory.com.au/

Awesome domain, I even contacted the guy and wanted to know if he would be interested selling it.

He said no - he had a lot of existing listings he had sold that he couldn't give up.

I said - no worries - free listings for all existing clients on my new fantastic directory. He says not interested.

I say - how about a partnership - you keep the domain name ownership, I redevelop the site, you get a cut of the profits. Not interested he says.

I haven't even given you a figure yet I say, should I at least give you one so you can think it over? Look mate he says, I said i'm just not interested ok!

So, incase you were wondering, he isn't interested in selling his domain!
F*k, thats a blast from the past, typical 90s website. Web 0.1

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
What about compare.com.au !

I contacted the owner a while back.. he said he gets offers all the time, so I'm guessing some of you have tried aswell :)

He said if he ever sells it would be via auction.. good idea!

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
Here is a free tip.

Always check the whois on any domain of interest. It should be a habit.

whois compare.com.au
Domain Name: compare.com.au
Last Modified: 08-Dec-2008 12:38:27 UTC
Registrar ID: Namescout
Registrar Name: Namescout

Registrant: COMPARE INTERNET
Registrant ID: OTHER None given
Eligibility Type: Other
Eligibility Name: COMPARE INTERNET
Eligibility ID: NSW BN V2465634 (NSW)

Next, cross check the Registrant & Eligibility information. Aside from the fact that this domain was incorrectly registered in the first place, because the registrant MUST be a legal entity and a business name is NOT a legal entity, the eligibility information is now invalid too.

Just do a check at ASIC:
http://search.asic.gov.au/gns001.html

Extracted from ASIC's database at AEST 11:04:22 on 03/03/2010
Name COMPARE INTERNET
Registered state/no. NSW V2465634
Type Business Names
Registration Date Unknown
Next Review Date Unknown
Status Business Names - Removed
Principal Place of Business not available
Jurisdiction Office of Fair Trading, New South Wales

---
The status shows:
> Status Business Names - Removed

Technically, you must now lodge a complaint with the registrar. The registrar will give the registrant 30 days to correct the problem. If the problem cannot be corrected, or the registrant does not respond, then the domain is placed into a 3-day pending delete and it will show as CD on our auctions. Most registrars though get it wrong and place the domain into a 14 day pending delete period.

Keep a transcript of your complaint too. Some registrars will abuse the time to respond parameters, often giving their customers much longer to respond.

I recommend reading the policy:

Complaints (Registrant Eligibility) Policy (2004-01)
http://www.auda.org.au/policies/auda-2004-01/

Knowledge is power!
George Pongas

Jonathan

Top Contributor
Yeah, I contacted the compare.com.au guy a while back too - he said the same thing to me.

On the complaining to the registrar - that seems kinda harsh to me. Even though I'd bid on compare.com.au if it showed up on the dropcatching services (its a great name, and anyway I own compare.net.au), I don't like the idea of being responsible for someone having their domain stripped from them, even if they are technically in the wrong.

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
My prediction is that this would simply be updated anyhow. With the above example, the legal entity will be the individual that owned the Business Name. If this individual simply provides a sole trader ABN, then the update / correction is legitimate.

Now, because the domain information was originally passed incorrectly by the registrar to the registry, we can't even see who the legal entity is that held the licence. It may have been an individual, company, or incorporated association. Bottom line: when they correct this domain licence they can use any information and there is no real way to question or challenge the update.

If the recorded registrant (legal entity) was a company, and this company no longer exists. Then the domain cannot be updated because you cannot move the domain to a new legal entity. The only fix would be to resurrect the company.

PS: Sorry to bore you all with my uber policy geekness. I am a bit of a policy nutter!

George

Footnote: When you use a Registered Business Name as eligibility criteria, then the domain string must be an exact match, abbreviation, or acronym of the Business Name. "Compare Internet" being able to register 'compare' is borderline eligible on its own merits. auDA traditionally don't like it when people register broad business names and then try to use them to capture generics.

EG: registering "The credit cash money business sex card venture"
and claiming eligibiloty matches for:

credit.com.au, cash.com.au, money.com.au, sex.com.au, creditcard.com.au etc...

People think they are clever when they do this, but it seldom works and it has been tried many many times.

Damn! I just can't stop myself with the policy trivia...

Honan

Top Contributor
Thank you George
Appreciate you passing on that knowledge about how to complain to a registrar about incorrect whois
I am with Jonathan, in that I do not think I could ever complain about a whois
Perhaps, one day, someone or entity will do complaints in bulk
In this particular case it may just be a change of ABN number to
NSW BN98277877

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics