What's new

How Would You Respond

Chris.C

Top Contributor
So I occasionally get someone emailing me directly rather than bidding via NetFleet for a domain.

And the sequence normally goes like this:

Interested Buyer: Hi, are your willing to sell the domain. If so how much do you want.

My response: Hi, how much are your offering?

Interested Buyer: I have a budget of $X,XXX. Will you sell for that?

Let's say you think $X,XXX is "OK" money, like the guy is at least in the ballpark, but you are looking for let's say twice what he's offering.

So my question is, how do you word your response to the last email to help get him up to a decent price?

:confused:

neddy

Top Contributor
Let's say you think $X,XXX is "OK" money, like the guy is at least in the ballpark, but you are looking for let's say twice what he's offering.

So my question is, how do you word your response to the last email to help get him up to a decent price?

I'm a bit hungover and tired today, so this is a bit of a naughty tongue in cheek response (as I sit here at the airport waiting to go back to QLD). ;)

-----------------------

"Thanks for your very fair first offer - I appreciate it. At least you didn't try and lowball me like some other prospective buyers have!

However, my price expectations are somewhat higher as this is one of my better domains. (You've probably seen some of the prices domains are going for these days. If you haven't, please have a look at Netfleet (link).)

Having said that, you're timing is excellent because I need some money for another project.

My asking price and expectation is $XXXX, however as a gesture of my goodwill, I would be prepared to sell this for $XXXX. I think that is an excellent price in todays market. Does that work for you?

Feel free to give me a call to discuss.

Cheers, Chris etc

snoopy

Top Contributor
"Thanks for your very fair first offer - I appreciate it. At least you didn't try and lowball me like some other prospective buyers have!

Wouldn't be talking about lowballers, makes it sound like the offer they are making is way beyond what anyone else would pay.

neddy

Top Contributor
Wouldn't be talking about lowballers, makes it sound like the offer they are making is way beyond what anyone else would pay.

Snoopy, what part of "naughty" and "tongue in cheek" did you not understand. :)

xwdomains

Top Contributor
I'm a bit hungover and tired today, so this is a bit of a naughty tongue in cheek response (as I sit here at the airport waiting to go back to QLD). ;)

-----------------------

However, my price expectations are somewhat higher as this is one of my better domains. (You've probably seen some of the prices domains are going for these days. If you haven't, please have a look at Netfleet (link).)

Having said that, you're timing is excellent because I need some money for another project.

My asking price and expectation is $XXXX, however as a gesture of my goodwill, I would be prepared to sell this for $XXXX. I think that is an excellent price in todays market. Does that work for you?

Feel free to give me a call to discuss.

Cheers, Chris etc

That sounds like a decent reply except the low ball offer part lol

is that similar to replies you use when brokering for someone?

neddy

Top Contributor
lol sorry, didn't see the first line, someone must have spiked the mineral water.

Oops - I thought you were drinking Vodka. That's what I ordered for you. ;) j/k.

That sounds like a decent reply except the low ball offer part lol

is that similar to replies you use when brokering for someone?

The "lowballer" comment was a joke - but the rest of the reply is similar to what I use sometimes.

It's "horses for courses". You really have to try and suss out your prospective buyer based on limited knowledge. (ie. one email and whatever your research on the prospect brings up).
Then you try and craft an appropriate email that tries to achieve what you want (an increased price); but doesn't necessarily burn or offend the prospective buyer.

LOL thanks for the feedback. I'll use "some" of your suggestions.

:)

Pleasure Chris. :)

I had a similar situation to yours recently. I had a good first offer, but agonised whether to try for more (and possibly burn the prospect). So I used a very similar approach to what
I've written above (apart from the lowballer comment!). I complimented the guy on a "very fair first offer" - but then politely tried to motivate him up with sound reasoning and links to
sales evidence. It worked for me.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member