What's new

How to migrate away from .com.au

Are you considering moving away from .com.au?

• Yes

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters

snoopy

Top Contributor
Interesting commentary here,

the Australian Domain Administrator launched .au, so basically, what they did was … they didn’t have a policy for .au so they just decided to launch a couple of .au domain names and in the process, they stole two companies’ brands. So all of a sudden, in my eyes, the .au space has become unstable …until we know what’s going on at least, anyway.

And a lot of people have been asking me, “Jim, what do we do? Have we got to register a new domain?” Well, if you’re registered .com.au, you’re not eligible for .au and now that we know that the CEO of auDA can basically just take any domain that he wants, by the looks of it, well, no one’s safe, really. No brand is safe, so what I’m looking at is, “What’s the long term picture here?”

https://stewartmedia.com.au/domain-migration/

I think it would definitely be wise for those with businesses running on .com.au to keep their options open here,

Not sure it is crisis point (in terms of needing to shift) just yet but I'd expect instability and uncertainty in the future with auDA's attempt to mostly remove the industry input from auDA, and their attempt to push ahead with a confusing alternate extension.

Some thoughts:
  • Are you able to acquire your matching .com even if you have no current plans to move it?
  • Is it worth considering moving sooner or wait and see what happens?
  • If you could choose one extension only long term which would it be?
  • Have you studied about doing the move just in case, especially in relation to search engine issue?

Jimboot

Top Contributor
No communication, no policy on which the launch of the domains was based. Unstable and unreliable space for business. We don't even have a good reason for doing it. They didn't even do 301 on the CNAME ffs. This is the authority? What's wrong with whois.affilias.com.au ? Why introduce a new namespace? Break the eggs, make it hard to reverse. Ironically they may have helped TLDs gain traction.

snoopy

Top Contributor
No communication, no policy on which the launch of the domains was based. Unstable and unreliable space for business. We don't even have a good reason for doing it. They didn't even do 301 on the CNAME ffs. This is the authority? What's wrong with whois.affilias.com.au ? Why introduce a new namespace? Break the eggs, make it hard to reverse. Ironically they may have helped TLDs gain traction.

Agree, that is the logical way to go, whois.affilias.com.au, whois.auda.org.au.

I think the reason for creating those names is to try and bring in direct registrations by stealth. They can say "well we already have direct registrations" down the track. It is another example of top down management, the community has been ignored.

helloworld

Top Contributor
I redirect my .com. Always advise customers to buy both. But I won't be migrating anytime soon. .com.au will still reign supreme in search.

I will be setting up the .com to focus on American business if that counts for anything

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member