What's new

How to increase cost of Google ads?

Ashman

Top Contributor
Is there any way to set the minium amount $ you are willing to receive (CPC) as a promoter of google ads?

It hardly seems worth while to promote ads that are only paying a few cents per click when the Adsense CPC data says advertiser are paying much higher.

Basically I want to only display ads which advertisers are paying over a certain amount. Otherwise I feel I am promoting other businesses for no return.

findtim

Top Contributor
i don't know but a bloody good question which i'll try to get some time to investigate, meanwhile hopefully someone will give us a link to the answer?
tim

duncan22

No, thats not possible.

What you can do is make your account only show ads from certain industries or individually stop showing ads from certain domains which are low value ads.

Google however tries to maximise their own profit for every single page view of your site. They will show the ad most likely to be clicked which result in the highest profit for them (and you) as determined by past history.

Best you don't exclude ads as Google will eventually do this for you anyway if it makes more money.

CPC data from the Keyword tool is based on search not the display network so your earnings from the display network will always be far lower.

You may not have enough appropriate content so Google does not know what ads to place, best thing to do would be to add some more content to help Google place relevant ads.

Ashman

Top Contributor
No, thats not possible.

What you can do is make your account only show ads from certain industries or individually stop showing ads from certain domains which are low value ads.

CPC data from the Keyword tool is based on search not the display network so your earnings from the display network will always be far lower.

You may not have enough appropriate content so Google does not know what ads to place, best thing to do would be to add some more content to help Google place relevant ads.

Thanks for the clarification. The ads that are showing are relevant to my content its just that they don't pay much.

I wonder if Google tells the advertisers if the clicks were generated from search or display network.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Thanks for the clarification. The ads that are showing are relevant to my content its just that they don't pay much.
That's probably more to do with your niche than anything else.

I wonder if Google tells the advertisers if the clicks were generated from search or display network.
They definitely tell advertisers.

And FWIW I tend to drop my bid prices on the display network by 70% if I show ads at all...

The display network has always been a pretty poor performer for me.

DavidL

Top Contributor
Try and find a tangent maybe that might be more lucrative and add content related to that.

Use the GAKT to find the search terms that cost the most and write content around them.

Alternatively (and I may stand corrected), depending on your page layout, maybe reduce the number of ads you show. My understanding is that this will mean only the higher paid ads will show. CTR will probably go down but may be worthwhile.

Duncan, is that the case?

duncan22

I am pretty sure that's just a rumour and you should use the max number of ad units Google allows on each page (3 i think). The ads will display from top of the screen (highest cpc) to the bottom.

Best practice is to use only 300x250 ad units as these are the most common sized banner companies make so there is more competition. You should also use Google's default colour scheme for the ad units as people have been 'trained' to click ads.

It is possible to split test ad units so if the site has enough traffic thats what you should do to see which configuration works best.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member