Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Over 10 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Govt will never shut it down

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

snoopy

Top Contributor
About 6 months ago we heard some pretty interesting comments from the CEO about AUDA's survival. In my view those comments were more than just off the cuff remarks, I think the Australian government has probably been very carefully watching AUDA, its future is not certain at all.

The move to tender was the first positive step in a very long time but it now seems likely this wasn't AUDA's idea but was government ordered. Could AUDA really not see the obvious problem in simply giving a $150million contract to mange a critical public resource to some hedge fund in San Francisco?

In my view AUDA is completely out of touch, and its model of operation (demand/supply) is broken, branch stacking, unaddressed conflicts of interest and a transparency situation that is getting worse not better.

So the question I have is how long do you think AUDA will last? Will the government taken control or will they continue on as is?

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Ask auDA when their own contract expires.. It was supposed to be 2017 and no one is answering the question.

Someone very high up at auDA apparently said in December 2016 "auDA could close tomorrow and things would keep running"... I wonder how true that was then and now .Maybe by trying to run the wholesale registry it will lock auDA into existence for 16 years like Ausregistry had enjoyed?

Some people got very rich from the Australian domain name administration and wholesale registry monopolies..auDA, Ausregistry and Melbourne IT... ALL on the auDA Board of course able to make policy, pricing and decisions for their own profits. The government completely messed it up and they have lost a fortune.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Someone very high up at auDA apparently said in December 2016 "auDA could close tomorrow and things would keep running"... I wonder how true that was then and now .Maybe by trying to run the wholesale registry it will lock auDA into existence for 16 years like Ausregistry had enjoyed?

Once the AUDA has control of the registry the government could just take over the entire thing, take over the registry, take some of the employees, take the $10million and make it all internal, or call it something else and dump all of the prior structure.

I would be pretty surprised if the Australian government wanted the demand/supply model to last for any length of time. So I don't think taking over the registry makes AUDA any more safe personally, it is a step towards "nationalisation" and is 100% justified in my view.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo