What's new

Hosting, whats a fair price?

findtim

Top Contributor
What do you think is a fair price for hosting a wordpress website ( how long is a piece of string is not an answer )

i'll show my hand so we can get started.

I generally charge $132p/a for small sites ( 5-10pages ), low traffic

and if a site is large eg: 50 pages with potential to get heaps of traffic is increment them to $240p/a up to $390p/a but don't go over that.

this is of course shared hosting and no ecommerce

any thoughts?

tim

PS: i do their wp updates and plugin updates for that, plus backups.

Last edited:

payattention

Archived Member
Sounds like you're charging for value added services instead of just the hosting itself. I guess the question is really the cost for customers such as yours and people who handle their own hosting.

As long as the cost is reasonable (most hosts are), I care more about uptime and reliability. I could save money going elsewhere for my SEO hosting and managed VPS (I guess this is their value add, cbf updating it myself) but Host Gator are pretty good so why bother moving just to scrimp on a few dollars.

findtim

Top Contributor
Yes i value add, mostly becuase my type of client base just want "solutions" and see value in getting on with doing what they are good at and leaving the rest to me.

tim

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
$132 p/a for shared hosting is cheap if you are doing the WP updates. I'd value the updates at $20 per month (min) alone.

I get that they are small sites/clients, but still.. it's almost doing work for free.

I personally think web designers/developers should charge in minimum brackets of 30 mins to compensate for the blow outs, testing, picky clients, phone calls and emails etc. So having said that, $20 for 30 mins work is still a cheap industry rate.

What do you think is a fair price for hosting a wordpress website ( how long is a piece of string is not an answer )

i'll show my hand so we can get started.

I generally charge $132p/a for small sites ( 5-10pages ), low traffic

and if a site is large eg: 50 pages with potential to get heaps of traffic is increment them to $240p/a up to $390p/a but don't go over that.

this is of course shared hosting and no ecommerce

any thoughts?

tim

PS: i do their wp updates and plugin updates for that, plus backups.

Tim that is on the cheap site for what you do, the fact that you back up is a good selling point for small business, we see so many stories of sites being hacked or servers going down. Are you hosting out of Australia or US ? I am happy to pay more for an Australian service for lower latency.

helloworld

Top Contributor
From experience in dealing with designers, they seem to charge around $400annually. I know this as I get a lot of their customers after the first year...$132.00 isn't a bad price but really depends on your client base and what they are willing to spend.

findtim

Top Contributor
Tim that is on the cheap site for what you do, the fact that you back up is a good selling point for small business, we see so many stories of sites being hacked or servers going down. Are you hosting out of Australia or US ? I am happy to pay more for an Australian service for lower latency.

hostgator, i haven't had any issues with them

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members