What's new

Hosting on a single account and SEO?

Rhythm

Top Contributor
What are the negative implications for hosting on the same hosting account with a single provider in terms of SEO? I'm talking shared IP atm.

soj

Founder
Well the positives of having sites (which interlink) over multiple servers and IP's would be that Google see them as completely separate sites with separate owners.

As for hosting different websites which don't interlink on the same IP, then I can't really see any downsides.

Timmy

Banned
I generally put my biggest sites on their own host while pointing others to it from another VPS.

With the amount of shared hosting in the world, I find it difficult to think that Google could really assume that the same IP means the same owner in all cases.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
With the amount of shared hosting in the world, I find it difficult to think that Google could really assume that the same IP means the same owner in all cases.

Not if your leaving other footprints behind.. tracking IDs and the like. Besides, it's safe to assume that if you're cross linking between multiple sites on the same IP block then these links are easy identifiable. PageRank is probably devalued, but still better than nothing.

You should check out this article - it talks about building link pyramids... for black hat sites, however but the concepts remain the same..

Chris.C

Top Contributor
What are the negative implications for hosting on the same hosting account with a single provider in terms of SEO? I'm talking shared IP atm.
There are no problems with hosting different sites on the same hosting, unless you are planning to start aggressively interlinking the sites.

I wouldn't recommend this sort of strategy with any site you might shed a tear over if it was kicked out of the index. I've had a few sites kicked out of the index over my years trying to get an extra 10% or 20% boost in traffic and the pain of trying to get sites back in the index and the lost money in the mean time are just not worth it.

If you're producing junk throw away sites then designing a link network might be worth considering, but if you are just looking to rank in the Australian market, then 90% of the time some basic link building and onpage SEO will get the job done.

I don't know if this answers your question, but maybe you could give us a few more details about what exactly you plan to do.

James

Top Contributor
If you host all websites on the same IP address they will pass no quality link juice, Google isnt stupid, ip ranges is the first thing they look for when a website network interlinks. You need to split up your hosts currently I use about 7 different hosting companys with about 7 websites hosted within each.

Rhythm

Top Contributor
No plans to interlink initially. All standalone at first. All .au.

So it seems ok as long as I avoid interlinking.

Last edited:

James

Top Contributor
Yeah I guess it should be ok, but to be honest I would use different hosts just to be safe,

If the host has down time, then your whole network goes down. If you have say 3 different hosts then you only loose 1/3 revenue.

If you are making decent $$$ only a few hours of downtime can hurt your pocket. I have seen even the bigger US hosts go down.

benja1greer

Some company provide ip address and domain name which are helpful to seo by this host can control all the ip addresses by single account..

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member