What's new

hiphop.com.au

goldnugget

Top Contributor
To me...'hiphop' sounds kind of yesterday. Not to say it couldnt be marketed though. At the moment in Australia popasia is a bit of rise (even before gangnam style, but would have been a stepstone for the success of the song). My response is based on my direct research in 'whats cool' (I was told popasia is cool by my (then) 16 yo daughter last year....I brushed it off :( ).

So I guess that would be the best bet...ask some teens on what they'd like to see on a site called hiphop.com.au , find out if hiphop is still 'the word' and then decide where you think it stands. Sorry if my response doesnt help you right now, but in reality I guess that is the market you will want to attract to the site....find out what they want and you are half way there.

Jay

djuqa

Top Contributor
HipHop is a complete genre of Music and is still very much in vogue.
Worth at least 500$ - $1000

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
Good domain, I would say $2000. Possibly more to the right buyer.

> short, exact match domain that passes the radio test with flying colours
> lots of local searches for the term (4,400 exact for Australia on GAKT, 550,000 global)
> popular music genre in Australia
> easily to monetise

Ticks all the boxes in my opinion.

James

Top Contributor
I think its a good domain,

I can see it been worth $2000 range.

Hiphop.net sold for $10k at the start of 2011.

xwdomains

Top Contributor
I'm unsure how you would monetize this to be honest

sure adsense could work I have had a music site in the past and it had plenty of visitors but made very low revenue.

XXX- to low XXXX

snoopy

Top Contributor
I'm unsure how you would monetize this to be honest

sure adsense could work I have had a music site in the past and it had plenty of visitors but made very low revenue.

XXX- to low XXXX

It is the type of traffic that isn't worth, not really any way around that. Best option for the name is resale in my view.

theseoconsultant

Top Contributor
It is the type of traffic that isn't worth, not really any way around that. Best option for the name is resale in my view.

The "underground" hip-hop scene in Australia is huge - one method of monetization that come to mind immediately would be to create a community of hip-hop artists which could be setup relatively easily;

- install a forum
- setup forum
- create facebook ads
- run a campaign for 1 month

I think this would generate a lot of traffic; you would then charge "hip-hop artists" $20 a month to have their own space on the forum where they can upload their own tracks for the public to view. You could also run Adsense (yes Snoopy, MFA :p) or even affiliate programs for clothing, DJ equipment etc

But anyway, that's off-topic: to the OP - I think you could fetch a minimum of $1k for it.

snoopy

Top Contributor
The "underground" hip-hop scene in Australia is huge - one method of monetization that come to mind immediately would be to create a community of hip-hop artists which could be setup relatively easily;

- install a forum
- setup forum
- create facebook ads

Agree the above 4 are very easy to do, I don't think it will create any traction or value though, things that are easy rarely do. Incredibly hard to get a forum to be popular and they make very little, especially in an area with not much money in it. It is not just a matter of running some ads, it needs an owner with a passion for the area to kick it off themselves, ie posting themselves when the site is largely dead, getting others to join, encouraging people to contribute people, that is typically a lot of work over many years.

I think this would generate a lot of traffic; you would then charge "hip-hop artists" $20 a month to have their own space on the forum where they can upload their own tracks for the public to view. You could also run Adsense (yes Snoopy, MFA :p) or even affiliate programs for clothing, DJ equipment etc

Gangsta rappers are not going to pay $20 a month, they wouldn't pay 20 cents.

helloworld

Top Contributor

- install a forum
- setup forum
- create facebook ads

But anyway, that's off-topic: to the OP - I think you could fetch a minimum of $1k for it.

Australian Hip Hop forum already exists. 10+ years old. Majority of members moved across from a cjb forum which was already established around 1997-98

Hip Hop artists aren't going to pay a cent and good luck collecting that $20 even more so if you're outside of the industry.

Unless a well known person in the industry buys it, no one will use it.

There is only 1 person in the entire industry who could afford this and has asked me for business ideas in the range the seller wants HOWEVER...he wants business ideas outside of Hip Hop as he is sick of the industry and of course it would cost another 10=20 to develop properly.

Again, Snoopy is correct. If you can find a buyer already in the industry to develop the site (like myself hehe ) would be the best bet. But yeah, see above it already exists. The competition has existed for 10+ years and sold last year for $24k with a membership database of 100k, 500k email list. No other forum has been able to compete with it and many have tried.

The only people I could forsee buying the domain at that price would a major and even then their budgets revolve around branding.

I would love to develop the domain but at sellers current appraisal there is no way unfortunately.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Gut feel is $1,500 resale

There's hardly any money in the underground scene. For a site to be popular you'd need to pour a lot of resources in content creation, and I'm not sure that it would be commercially viable. Having said that I don't know the music industry at all...

Regarding forums - ozhiphop.com has been around for about a decade. Was once pretty popular I think, but now I'm not so sure.

goldnugget

Top Contributor
Best bet...find out who the major music distrubuters of hiphop are in Australia and pitch it to them....cant think of general distributers off hand, but if you do a search, you'll find them. (Sony, BMG, are two that come to mind, but not up to date on who has bought out who over the last 10-20 years).

helloworld

Top Contributor
Best bet...find out who the major music distrubuters of hiphop are in Australia and pitch it to them....cant think of general distributers off hand, but if you do a search, you'll find them. (Sony, BMG, are two that come to mind, but not up to date on who has bought out who over the last 10-20 years).

yeah it's SONY BMG these days...1 company

Top Contributor
Had some great feedback on this one..

Also got a few PMs and some new emails.

Seems the general vibe is that the name would be perfect for a new national/multiple venue hiphop festival.

Now all we have to do is agree on the price.

Assuming it all goes thru, and no NDA is req. I'm happy to post the final sale price to this thread and everyone can all see how close they came to the final number.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
Had some great feedback on this one..

Also got a few PMs and some new emails.

Seems the general vibe is that the name would be perfect for a new national/multiple venue hiphop festival.

Now all we have to do is agree on the price.

Assuming it all goes thru, and no NDA is req. I'm happy to post the final sale price to this thread and everyone can all see how close they came to the final number.

Great to hear. Hope you do well on the sale and I'm sure we would all be interested to find out the price if you're able to share.

Congrats

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members