What's new

Hi from tassie

sensoryfx

Top Contributor
Hi Guys

After a missunderstanding with ned on the 'flying solo forum', I now have my facts straight and keen to learn more about the world of domainers.

I have been a designer/web site developer/multimedia/video producer for over 10 years. The majority of my work has been in the area of e-learning, developing learning resources, learning environments and instructional design.

The world of domainering sounds a lot like the realestate industry to me, only its about online property.

I hope I can learn a lot from you guys and also share my expertise in webdevelopment and design.

soj

Founder
Welcome sensoryfx, love the motion graphics animations your business does, might need to get in touch soon to do some work for me. I also noticed that thread on FlyingSolo, wasn't too happy to see you specifically mentioning my domain as a "thinly disguised attempt to just park a domain till someone wants it". We had purchased it for that sum of $18,011 with no intention of selling it. We have created a company specifically for it, and are working to build it into an ecommerce and info site. I read a few other things in that thread too, which showed you were very VERY ignorant as to this industry, so it is good to see you here to learn a bit about what goes on, and how much work people put into their legitimate businesses.

sensoryfx

Top Contributor
yea, sorry mate. When I saw your domain and the price next to it I didnt realise that it had been sold. I thought that was the advertised price and someone had parked it waiting for a buyer.

I understand you are a web developer and also a car fan. I started off in the automotive industry as my father was a mechanic and owned a service station. I grew up around cars and in the early years, worked as a tyre fitter /wheel aligner and frontend mechanic.

I progressed through to engineering as a civil engineering draftsman then moved into design.

sensoryfx

Top Contributor
Sorry, I ment to give my real name and some more info on my background.
Im 'Adam' :)
My business for a number of years has been aptitudemedia.com and more recently i started another project sensoryfx.com
I basically do all things design and multimedia.

neddy

Top Contributor
Hi Adam,

Welcome to DN Trade (and perhaps the Lion's Den!). Good to see you here after our "misunderstanding". :)

You were fairly adamant there for a while, but you came right at the end. And I respect a person who can admit they may of made a mistake and say sorry.

So all is forgiven. :)

Hopefully you will learn some new things here, and hopefully some of us can learn from you too. What you do with multimedia is really good! Congrats.

All the best, Ned (Admin)

sensoryfx

Top Contributor
Thanks Ned

I think I could be forgiven for the mistake given the documentation on the auDA site. To the un-initiated it does appear that domainers are breaking the rules:

SCHEDULE C

ELIGIBILITY AND ALLOCATION RULES FOR COM.AU

2. Domain names in the com.au 2LD must be:
a) an exact match, abbreviation or acronym of the registrant’s name or trademark; or
b) otherwise closely and substantially connected to the registrant.

Its not until you dig deep into the grey area that you realise that you can meet the requirements of (b) by simply providing some kind of info relating to the topic the domain represents.

Honan

Top Contributor
Thanks Ned

I think I could be forgiven for the mistake given the documentation on the auDA site. To the un-initiated it does appear that domainers are breaking the rules:

SCHEDULE C

ELIGIBILITY AND ALLOCATION RULES FOR COM.AU

2. Domain names in the com.au 2LD must be:
a) an exact match, abbreviation or acronym of the registrant’s name or trademark; or
b) otherwise closely and substantially connected to the registrant.

Its not until you dig deep into the grey area that you realise that you can meet the requirements of (b) by simply providing some kind of info relating to the topic the domain represents.

G'day Adam
Welcome to the forum
Where in Tassie are you? Hobart?

Actually the policy you refer to isn't that grey at all
Maybe well hidden though
See http://www.auda.org.au/policies/auda-2008-10/
"....4. DOMAIN NAMES REGISTERED FOR PURPOSE OF DOMAIN MONETISATION

4.1 It is acceptable to register domain names under the close and substantial connection rule for the explicit purpose of domain monetisation.....
Regards
Joe

neddy

Top Contributor
Maybe well hidden though

4.1 It is acceptable to register domain names under the close and substantial connection rule for the explicit purpose of domain monetisation.....
Regards
Joe

That's where we got to on Flying Solo Joe. I'm sure Adam understands it now.

Unfortunately there are still a lot of "people" out there that think that people that buy some types of domain names are cybersquatters etc.

That is why I think some policy needs to be better articulated by auDA - particularly domain monetisation. Otherwise we will always have these issues arising, and our occupation and activities unfairly tarnished.

sensoryfx

Top Contributor
G'day Adam
Welcome to the forum
Where in Tassie are you? Hobart?

Maybe well hidden though

Regards
Joe

Well, yes, its a bit grey to the un-initiated until someone shines a light on it for you :p

From Launceston mate.

Lorenzo

Top Contributor
Largest city:

"Bicheno, with 2 million+ penguins, and a human population that's nowhere near that number."

:D

sensoryfx

Top Contributor

Is this you ?

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.