What's new

Help me keep my marriage going - please

shags38

Top Contributor
Hi all, (ooooooops - wrong thread - )

I'm not sure if I have asked for an "appraisal" of this site previously however I am under the pump here to get it working better.

I recently put this site up for my wifes new Jewellery business (yes dear, no dear, of course dear - given I have some affiliate marketing sites I was "encouraged" to do one for her ) ......... www.dazzlers.net.au

It is the first e-commerce site I have done and am looking for a critique (or thirty eight) of the site. The traffic is coming along nicely but the conversion to sales is pathetic.

Am I pumping the "safe and secure shopping site" thing TOO HARD? or indeed the Join Dazzlers Club ?? (trying to get a loyalty return visitor thing going). Is the site hard hitting enough in respect to asking the visitor to buy? What is good about the site (if anything) and what is bad about it (sorry, no compensation for RSI if you reply honestly :D ........ seriously, please be brutal here, my marriage may depend on me getting this right .

So looking for some assistance.

many thanks,

Mike

Last edited:

snoopy

Top Contributor
The site is a mess, get some shopping cart software ASAP. Example I go to the front page, see some jewellery I want to buy, click on the image and it doesn't link to anything.

Other links just go to a "coming soon" and even some of the "buy" buttons don't work.

Mark

Top Contributor
Hi Mike

I'd agree with Snoopy that some shopping cart software would help - this software would help you organise your stock with categories and intuitive layouts.

It's a bit overwhelming tbh - so many things flashing in your face I don't know where to go. The actual design could do with a web 2.0 overhaul. Happy to put you in touch with a guy who could do this if you wanted

You have the product, with loads of content and photos which is great, I think its just a case of presenting these in a clear way

cheers
Mark

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Getting rid of the shitty text flash banners in the header would be a good start, it's like your trying to indoctrinate me in some bizzare cult.

Far too many banners flashing around... there is no clear call to action. Also too many random colour and font size changes. Looks like you are trying too hard. When you are trying to sell, often less = more.

No returns policy.. no shipping policy.

Also, having have built a few jewelery ecommerce sites over the years I know a thing or two.. and the photos you're using are lacking - you need white backgrounds.

Hosting the cart on PayPal would definately be hurting conversions, with so many 1 click install ecommerce solutions that have inbuilt payment gateway support including the PayPal API there is really no need to be using these buttons.

In my experience, PayPal works best when provided as a alternative payment method to credit card.. using the express checkout, users can significantly cut down on the checkout process and reduce cart abandonment.

You are also asking for bracelet size.. if you have to do this atleast provide a drop down with the options. If I was buying for my partner how am I supposed to know? And how do I know which sizes are in stock before handing over my money to dazzlers9000000@hotmail.com?

WG2010

Archived Member
Those can't be real pandora charms at those prices, right? Doesn't look like the sterling silver pandora charms.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Regarding shopping cart stuff I'd be using some free open source software like zen-cart, many hosts have auto install type buttons for this. I think you'll find it a lot easier than doing what you've done.

djuqa

Top Contributor
all of the above comments

Shopping Cart scripts are Easy to install , use and update

Plus lose the 3d name for sale ads NO relevance to the site Intent

shags38

Top Contributor
WOW - some really great feedback.

I will endeavour to make all of those changes.

You make me laugh General :)

I am looking for a drop down menu program to have all the specifications of the products, tibetan silver, lampwork glass beads, 925 sterling silver chain etc etc so for every product it drops dow as the mouse runs over the image - but also will have a button to a page with further images and product specs so that it is printable but also so that I increase the size of the site and get more SEO factor.

Can someone suggest a freeware dropdown menu program, one that shows up kinda like a quotation box like you see in cartoons - if so please post it in here.

I have ZenCart - I just started with PayPal because it was so easy and had an account anyway but have taken the advice onboard and will set up ZenCart.

Hey Snoops - no need for interpreters, I figured out what "the site is a mess" means ....... "the site is untidy, incohesive and lacks a certain professionalism in my opinion" ........ see, I am learning :)

LastPage .... images........ I am not a professional photographer and in taking pics on a white background, many different types of material(s) backgrounds and different lighting etc etc it is still such that the background is a dull creamy type of colour when published (looks ok on the camera screen). I am reasonably good with PhotoShop and it is near on impossible to take these items images and make them fully transparent because of the continual change in shape, shadows (bits of shadow will go, some stays, looks terrible - even the pro shots leave the shadows in because of this issue) etc. - well at least for someone with my experience, albeit I can do it however it is very fiddly and takes about 40-50 minutes per image and then is not overly clever, time I don't have. So I will have to do some more learning with PS and try again.

Thanks everyone, I now have a truckload of work to do - will post the site again for new comment once I have revamped it.

cheers,
Mike

p.s. did you guys get your paypal receipt emails ok ? :)

James

Top Contributor
Buy a logo man, if you go to an online store you want something professional I am 100% turned away by your cheap text logo.

I can give you quick SEO advice -

1. Meta data is all too long it will get cut off on search engines.
2. you have www. resolve problems, non www and www versions redirect together.
3. no use of XML sitemap.
4. no social media link use.

do some keyword research do not target the high competition head terms you will never rank, go for middle tier website.

It is 100% evident you need to buy some e-commerce software.

good luck.

Rhythm

Top Contributor
Hi

Sell on Etsy.

Etsy is the online marketplace for buying and selling all things handmade.

We connect buyers with independent creators and shop owners to find the very best in handmade, vintage and supplies.

Etsy provides a marketplace for crafters, artists and collectors to sell their handmade creations, vintage goods and crafting supplies. Most shops belong to individuals, but a small group can run an Etsy shop as a collective.

If (and hopefully when) it takes off and you have a earnt your reputation, then think about managing a website after you have a generic domain name with the right keywords (which you should already own).

Maybe start a twitter/facebook/myspace strategy.

Bye.

Last edited:

shags38

Top Contributor
Buy a logo man, if you go to an online store you want something professional I am 100% turned away by your cheap text logo.

I can give you quick SEO advice -

1. Meta data is all too long it will get cut off on search engines - are you talking .alt text, page titles or page descriptions ? (the latter two I have checked as far as allowable characters before Google shows ....... cut off - have I missed something.
2. you have www. resolve problems, non www and www versions redirect together. Please explain (Pauline Hanson stole that from me :) ) - have no idea what you mean by this
3. no use of XML sitemap. Google .xml sitemap is active, is that what you meant or do you mean my site sitemap through my CMS ?
4. no social media link use. Am still to set up a Facebook page - I have some issues with that - see another post of mine on that subject
do some keyword research do not target the high competition head terms you will never rank, go for middle tier website.

It is 100% evident you need to buy some e-commerce software. suggestions pleasegood luck.

Hey James - thanks for the comments (nice car).

Thanks for the free SEO advice, I had my credit card out but have now put it away.

above in blue are some questions / comments - will I need my credit card for your responses ?

cheers,
Mike

James

Top Contributor
1. page meta data check out on the max length for each,
2. when you type non www versions of your site they do not redirect to the correct domain.for example I go to Google.com.au it re directs > www.google.com.au
3. I did not see the XML.
4. Facebook, twitter, friend feed, places buzz, delicious go wild.
5. People have suggested them here, I only deal with large scale e commerce sites in like site core, custom ones..Their are some good lower cost ones just look at review sites.

shags38

Top Contributor
Hi

Sell on Etsy.

If (and hopefully when) it takes off, then think about managing a website after you have a generic domain name with the right keywords (which you should already own).

Bye.

Thanks Rhythm - I will check out Etsy. I do own some generic domains with "jewellery" but not with "Pandora", not that TM issues bother me but a name with Pandora is limiting, as indeed is jewellery as the business will expand (already is beginning to [belts, bags, mens accessories etc and more]) beyond just jewellery, hence the brand Dazzlers which is part of the company name and what existing customers use (not Dazzlers Accessories nor Dazzlers Jewellery).

The other thing is that jewellery encompasses many item keywords, rings then diamond, gold, wedding, engagement etc - Bracelets, similarly many popular sub categories - Necklaces, again similar, so it is difficult to come up with a distinct generic name to cover the lot - maybe I will in the future use DazzlersJewellery.com.au which I own, or the dot com version - what would you suggest?

Again thanks for your input.

cheers,
Mike

The website is a long overdue extension of the business which is quite successful.

Interstingly Jewellery can be spelt 3 different ways with two of them ranking in Google Adword Keyword results, Jewellery and Jewelry, the latter is regarded as American spelling however commands about 40% of the searches in Australia.

shags38

Top Contributor
1. page meta data check out on the max length for each,
2. when you type non www versions of your site they do not redirect to the correct domain.for example I go to Google.com.au it re directs > www.google.com.au
3. I did not see the XML.
4. Facebook, twitter, friend feed, places buzz, delicious go wild.
5. People have suggested them here, I only deal with large scale e commerce sites in like site core, custom ones..Their are some good lower cost ones just look at review sites.

Thanks James - I appreciate the input, good stuff - the non www must be a Google issue (where they ask if you want to specify a url name usually you leave it at no so that it recognises either - will check to see if I inadvertantly misclicked).

cheers,
Mike

WG2010

Archived Member
Thanks James - I appreciate the input, good stuff - the non www must be a Google issue (where they ask if you want to specify a url name usually you leave it at no so that it recognises either - will check to see if I inadvertantly misclicked).

cheers,
Mike

You want to specify one and one only. Having both is not optimal. Go and specify www.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member