What's new

Have You .....

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
when .melbourne came out i couldn't buy the one i wanted it needed to be quoted, it came back as $14k no negotiation, its still available
tim
At a wordpress meetup Chris and myself met a guy who is starting the .melbourne directory. He is hoping to educate all the Melbourne folk about a local directory ...... you need a .Melbourne name to be in it. He seemed switched on but knows it's gonna be a long battle against the giant in the room ........ Googlebox
~
https://dotmelbourne.melbourne

findtim

Top Contributor
OMG what a S**T domain name !!!!!!!!!!!
how to totally distroy the whole concept of a melbourne extension.
THAT is a friday funny
" hello, i phoning from dot melbourne dot melbourne" "where? " dot melbourne dot melbourne " "yeh i heard you but whats your domain name?" "dot melbourne dot melbourne" " you keep repeating yourself , whats the domain name?" "dot melbourne" " and whats the name?" dot melbourne dot melbourne"
bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
At a wordpress meetup Chris and myself met a guy who is starting the .melbourne directory. He is hoping to educate all the Melbourne folk about a local directory ...... you need a .Melbourne name to be in it. He seemed switched on but knows it's gonna be a long battle against the giant in the room ........ Googlebox
~
https://dotmelbourne.melbourne

Sounds like a huge waste of time to me. If you look at the front page most visitors wouldn't even know what he is talking about
"DotMelbourne - Searches only gTLD .Melbourne web sites presenting just .Melbourne Victoria content."

findtim

Top Contributor
well the premium $14k domain names won't be listed as nobody has bought them.
eg: i expected the directory to be directory.melbourne at the very least !
tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
when .melbourne came out i couldn't buy the one i wanted it needed to be quoted, it came back as $14k no negotiation, its still available
tim

They are probably playing the lottery with some of these names, i.e. waiting for some big defensive registrant. Maybe it works to only get a few sales like that and miss out on a bunch of lower sales. I suspect Ausregistry have done a deal with the Victorian government where the government takes all the loss from the venture.

chris

Top Contributor
I was going to say pause.melbourne for Pause Fest.

For some background, Pause Fest is a technology event in Melbourne, and it was taking place at Fed Square when we had one of our DNT catch ups there a few months ago. We were even talking about .melbourne and then @HireDomains spotted the massive banners up on the wall saying pause.melbourne.

Interestingly enough...

http://pause.melbourne

..is now redirected to:

http://pausefest.com.au/

Marketing, branding, uptake - all that stuff aside, there are still some issues with implementing new extensions to mass markets. Some technical, some consumer related.

I do see the new extensions around in the SERPs and have visited a few, but none that I use regularly that I can think of.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I forgot about that one which was quite funny when you consider myself, chris, honan and snoopy were discussing the New Gtlds for a while and suddenly as I was leaving I realised there was a banner displaying an example of one, only twenty or so feet away from us. Might be worth checking out that show next year

Shane

Top Contributor
I have an client in my insurance business who uses one. His business name is 'Example Services' and his domain name is example.services

I was quite surprised to see it! It seems good in theory since it matched his business name perfectly, but gee it looks strange on his website when you see the domain and the email address.

findtim

Top Contributor
its really going to take a long time to change peoples "heads"
i remember the first time ( on a billboard) i saw www.www.com.au , it must have been @ 2002 when we all used the www. infront
i looked at it and said "someones stuffed up'
tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
its really going to take a long time to change peoples "heads"
i remember the first time ( on a billboard) i saw www.www.com.au , it must have been @ 2002 when we all used the www. infront
i looked at it and said "someones stuffed up'
tim

You can't actually change anyones head. If it is complicated and people don't understand then the problem is a with the product, not consumers.

All new tlds are flawed. Anyone who uses them will never have a "clear run". Either they'll put up with the confusion or they'll change to something more logical.

snoopy

Top Contributor
I have an client in my insurance business who uses one. His business name is 'Example Services' and his domain name is example.services

I was quite surprised to see it! It seems good in theory since it matched his business name perfectly, but gee it looks strange on his website when you see the domain and the email address.

I suspect very few people would recognise example.services as a web address. It sound like two words with a dot in the middle. www.example.service looks more like a web address but I still think a lot would think there is an error in that.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Another issue/problem is that some shops are in the habit of putting a DOT in their signage ...... when there is no website associated with the signage >> Booking.Yeah

snoopy

Top Contributor
Another issue/problem is that some shops are in the habit of putting a DOT in their signage ...... when there is no website associated with the signage >> Booking.Yeah

Agree this is quite common, have noticed it with cafe's/small businesses.

I think the issue is that the ordinary meaning of "." is full stop or decimal place, it does not mean "internet".

www., .com, .com.au all mean internet.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member