What's new

Groupon fails to resolve dispute

Vicstar

I run Deals.com.au, and any Daily Deals site that withholds anything from you other maybe 10% for refunds, is really taking you for a ride.

The reason our competitor sets the "redemption hurdle" at 80% is because the reality is, that almost all deals will have below 80% vouchers redeemed, no matter how good they are. This means that you are effectively being charged 40%. They are taking you for a ride.

Interesting... I just checked out your site; thx so much for your feedback. This mob explained about more 'percentages' when we called re the discrepancy..
... because it's the first time working with them and they have no history of us, we don't get any other options of %deals they have, but they do have other options.
"the other option is to take a higher 40% commission up front and have no holdback // rather than take the smaller commission upfront and have the holdback - so it may only end up costing you only 20% commission rather than the 40% that the opposition tend to charge. Some people prefer the higher percentage and then just forget about it"

Hang on - what's that noise?? Oh, it's just my brain spinning.. :eek:

Edit: All sorted. Issue was resolved pretty promptly. Not sure about my spinning brain tho.

Last edited:

neddy

Top Contributor
Dispute resolved

Just saw an article in The Age about this matter being resolved.

http://www.theage.com.au/technology...blocking-us-giant-groupon-20110721-1hpvn.html

The headline seems to indicate that Scoopon won the day, but on reading between the lines I don't think they had such a big win. I might be wrong, but time will tell.

Anyway, I guess we will be seeing Groupon firing up shortly instead of Stardeals. If you check the WhoIs, the domain is already in their name.

neddy

Top Contributor
Type in Groupon.com.au and it now resolves to StarDeals.com.au.

It appears as if they may be keeping this branding, as their homepage reads:

"STARDEALS by GROUPON Australia"

I must say they have some fantastic deals, and they do seem to be selling plenty as well. They've obviously
got a big team working in the background. (Does anyone know how many people they employ in Australia?).

They are also offering $10 for every friend you recommend (that buys a deal). So they're obviously intent
on buying as much business as they can in order to build up their mailing list.

It will be interesting to see how the head to head contest between the major players pans out. And I guess
a lot of the smaller operators will just fade away.

zhenjie

Top Contributor
yep, they have hundres of staff already across the big cities. Their Google Ad spend is just amazing from what I've seen. Much to my delight.

Competition is strong in the top 5, taking in the majority of sales. but surprisingly enough the small players are still in their, all carving out their niches now. If they don't, then they don't survive.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo