What's new

Government to regulate coupon sites duping customers

DomainNames

Top Contributor
http://www.news.com.au/business/shape-up-group-buying-sites-on-notice/story-e6frfm1i-1226164921928

AUTHORITIES have warned group buying sites they need to stop duping consumers or government will step in to help the swelling tide of angry customers.

Complaints about unclear refund policies and lack of available stock on products offered on sites have been rising in line with exponential growth of the industry, tipped to be worth $400 million by next year.

Governments have put the industry on notice that it may face a crackdown if it cannot show that it can regulate itself – but the divided industry is scrambling to agree on how to do it.

“Fix your house up or we’ll come and fix it for you,” was the threat from NSW Fair Trading Minister Anthony Roberts this week.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission also says the industry is “on the radar” and the federal government has warned that companies in breach of new consumer protection laws could face fines of up to $1.1 million.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/business/sha...ce/story-e6frfm1i-1226164921928#ixzz1aXOwMCYc

zhenjie

Top Contributor
I think it will be inevitable unless there is some movement to self regulate (doubt it considering how many sites are out there). In the end it will be good for consumers and the sites as it would instill back the confidence that has been lost in recent times.

DavidL

Top Contributor
I think it will be inevitable unless there is some movement to self regulate (doubt it considering how many sites are out there). In the end it will be good for consumers and the sites as it would instill back the confidence that has been lost in recent times.

Perhaps one of the leading aggregators can start publishing customer reviews for each of the deal sites ;)

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member