What's new

Google Places

Honan

Top Contributor
May I know the secrets please about Google Places?
It took me a couple of months to figure out that the method suggested by google maps to add a new business doesn't work
It always gives the Busy Server Try Again reply
Finally it dawned on me that if I login to Google Places it has the correct method
The letter verification works well if slow
The phone number verification has been a disaster for me because the customers don't write down the code and invariably pass on the wrong code to me
An SMS to a mobile is better, however some customers don't publish a mobile number, so Goog won't use the mobile
What amazes me is how the any old crappy web site can shoot to page 1 because it is in places
Any hints on what Google algorithm is used to sort the places entries?
Is it just number of reviews?
Is a phone text review weighted better than a web review?
Does using free wireless hot spots mean the reviews appear to come from different people?
How often does Google update the labels
By labels I mean the places marked on the maps, not as a result of a search
How much do you think a fair charge is for getting a business in Places , if that is all you do for them?

James

Top Contributor
* Google places Optimization to 100%
* Bulk submission of places
* sms or postal works well if you have say under 10 locations.
* Review data is a key metric
* keywords in URL/ Title/ GRO location are also key,
* Domain authority age is also important =)

But google needs to fix up their Google places, it has many many problems if you look at some huge competition terms it is evident of this, example from my blog:

http://jamesnorquay.com/massive-problem-with-google-local-search-places-reviews/

This post actually made it to Search Engine Land/ SEO moz and a few other big blogs haha...

WG2010

Archived Member
You can also just get yourself a cheap VOIP connection and change the number each time you need to do verification. Engin doesn't charge for this either so you can have a new number every day for all those new ventures that you as a savvy entrepreneur are starting up :)

James

Top Contributor
Would you call using a genuine PO Box (instead of a street address) pushing the barriers?

I know the rules state you need a physical address, here is some advice from online -

LISTING PO BOX ON WEBSITE WITHOUT A PHYSICAL ADDRESS

Ian Lurie - C'mon, everyone: The search engines have figured out this trick.

"C'mon, everyone: The search engines have figured out this trick."
--Ian Lurie
Mike Ramsey - You basically forfeit your site as a location prominance builder by doing this.

Dev Basu - I wouldn't use the phrase 'PO Box' as PO Box's aren't allowed under Place Page guidelines. Hence, having them on your website's landing pages wouldn't seem to help either.

Andrew Shotland - And I used to love this one. Sigh.

Ash Nallawalla - I haven't seen a PO box result in the local rankings for some years, although I believe it is OK now.

Shagun Vatsa - While they were allowed last year, having P.O Boxes is against the Google Places guidelines making them a negative local ranking factor.

Tom Crandall - I don't believe this affects local ranking. However, I recommend using the corresponding physical address on the Places page URL if applicable.

Last edited:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member