What's new

Google makes an 'unprecedented move' - you really need to read this post!

hazza5150

They were just parked domains no content as such and had been with the parking company for over 4 years with not one issue. Also in the same week Google closed a majority of AdWords API accounts (including my account) see this link and also check out this link. Google is a giant gorilla that every so often beats it's chest and that is the fact and they can do whatever the hell they like :-(

Lucas

Top Contributor
Google's actions of late are becoming more and more concerning. Just a week or so ago they announced keywords will be encrypted in referrer strings for users logged on to Google, so website owners will not know what keywords / terms are driving traffic from Google. And now this..!

nina

Top Contributor
And aren't they now going to charge for use of their map API in the future - I thought I read that today.

Call me a cynic but I feel the monopolisation Google has will hurt many. There just isn't any competition worth mentioning.

I guess what they really want to is to ensure that people don't make money from their technology.

Why provide an API in the first place? Seems like a 'hook em' and 'fark 'em over' approach... but then again I am a cynic.

Nina

nina

Top Contributor
http://econsultancy.com/us/blog/820...he-maps-api?utm_medium=email&utm_source=topic

http://www.google.com/enterprise/earthmaps/maps-faq.html

10,000 per year.

Who knows -maybe it might bring about competition or another start up.

I'm in two minds about all this - firstly - if you base your business model on someone elses product, then there is always a risk that it will come at a cost some day.

And, how naive can we be thinking that Google really gives a rip about anyone? It's all about the money.

I don't like it, but it is a business, so why do people complain?

Wait until Facebook starts getting facebook users involved in selling to their friends.. Ain't that gonna be a fun time.

Man I wish we had more competition.

Nina

James

Top Contributor
I don't see what is soo new about this if you have been using the Google API for maps data for the last few years they have been charging for it. I know a developer who owns a API heavy real estate site and he has been paying for the API from Google for a long time.

They have only just upped the limit and charge more people now LOL

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members