What's new

GoDaddy.com targets Australian small businesses with .au domain name launch

Rhythm

Top Contributor
Ads running on TV.

http://bit.ly/Sq3dBH

Internet domain registrar and web-hosting company, GoDaddy.com is set to target the Australian small business market, launching three new domain names com.au, net.au and org.au.

The announcement comes days after GoDaddy.com was brought down by a glitch, which potentially saw all of its 10 million customers sites sporadically disputed over a six hour period.

GoDaddy.com has not disclosed how many of its customers were directly affected by the issue.

In a statement announcing the launch, AusRegistry’s CEO Adrian Kinderis said that GoDaddy’s move into Australia is significant as they are the largest domain name provider in the world.

Mr Kinderis also said that Australian domain names registrations are gaining in momentum, with over 2.5 million .au domain names registered in Australia.

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
They can sniff money. They're a business and can't blame them for chasing the dollar.
They can stay in the US however. I have never been a fan of GoDaddy's UI on their site and the upsell is SO over the top.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
I saw the ad on TV earlier today. Didnt really mention .au apart from a small footnote saying ".au now available"

$30 for a .com.au

Ashman

Top Contributor
They can sniff money. They're a business and can't blame them for chasing the dollar.
They can stay in the US however. I have never been a fan of GoDaddy's UI on their site and the upsell is SO over the top.

I would never register an .au domain with an offshore company when there are so many options in Australia. I haven't read the article but how would they tap the market? They would have to sell domains for less than the going price of $20-$24 which as I understand is close to wholesale already.

Maybe their model is to smash buyers on the up-sell which as you say Blue Wren is over the top.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
I would never register an .au domain with an offshore company when there are so many options in Australia. I haven't read the article but how would they tap the market? They would have to sell domains for less than the going price of $20-$24 which as I understand is close to wholesale already.

Maybe their model is to smash buyers on the up-sell which as you say Blue Wren is over the top.

Budget hosting plans and aggressive marketing I would think

djuqa

Top Contributor
Some businesses still use MelbourneIT and other registrars at even higher prices.
So GD with their extensive existing Australian clientele will do well.
Anyhow upselling is STANDARD retail marketing.

Last edited:

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
I've got the majority of my domains at Go Daddy, but also have a hundred or so at VentraIP, a local registrar. I have hosting accounts/servers with both companies.

I like to support local companies, but I also think that increased competition is a good thing, particularly for us consumers.

The entry of Go Daddy into the .com.au market will hopefully spark some further improvements in the local offerings - which can only be a good thing.

For example, Go Daddy has a great interface for managing large numbers of domains and making bulk changes - in my experience the local registrars have been really bad in this area. Go Daddy will no doubt start to offer discount pricing at some point too, and this may encourage better pricing across the board (though I'm not sure how much room there is to move in some of the pricing already).

Having local support staff is really helpful, and I'll continue to support excellent providers like VentraIP, but I also think that it's a good thing to have international entrants coming into the market because that gives a push for companies to improve and innovate.

While I agree competition is a good thing, I would never use an overseas registrar for .au registrations. Buy Australian where you can! We have some great registrars here (DNTrade Sponsors Netfleet, Drop and VentraIP) who provide great customer service at a competitive price - I use all three!

johno69

Top Contributor
GoDaddy support has always been great IMO.

They answer the phone 1st time every time, they ask your number to call back if the call drops out, and they stay with you until the issue is fixed.

Never had a problem with their support tbh.

But I'll be staying local for au's. Maybe they can teach the locals a thing or two about support though.

Last edited:

DavidL

Top Contributor
I don't think they will make inrtoads with domainer's main registrars. At $30 that's a significant hike over the discounted prices from Drop, VIP, Netfleet etc.

However with aggressive marketing (which they are well known for of course!) they might hack into the market share of the big guys like MIT, Netreg and Crazydomains.

GoDaddy support has always been great IMO.

They answer the phone 1st time every time, they ask your number to call back if the call drops out, and they stay with you until the issue is fixed.

I had to use it for the first time the other day and you are so right. Absolutely first class support.

In fact, I often find US companies give brilliant phone support. They are always very thorough & patient even when the company they represent has stuffed up and you are shouting at them :eek:

johno69

Top Contributor
At $30 that's a significant hike over the discounted prices from Drop, VIP, Netfleet etc.

Yes it is. But they always have a 30% off coupon floating around if you can find it.

That brings them a bit closer top the mark.

chris

Top Contributor
Thanks for sharing Rhythm, definitely a sign of the .au market growing and maturing.

A bit of competition is always good for the consumer.

Cheers,
Chris

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads