What's new

gccTLDs .co, .io etc.

chris

Top Contributor
This came up on another list and thought I'd share here, there are certain ccTLDs that aren't treated as country codes (by Google at least). It's been discussed here a few times too. The discussion was over the increasing use of .io.

Generic Country Code Top Level Domains (gccTLDs)

Google treats some ccTLDs (such as .tv, .me, etc.) as gTLDs, as we've found that users and webmasters frequently see these more generic than country-targeted. Here is a list of those ccTLDs (note that this list may change over time).

.ad
.as
.bz
.cc
.cd
.co
.dj
.fm
.io
.la
.me
.ms
.nu
.sc
.sr
.su
.tv
.tk
.ws

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1347922

Personally I'm a fan of .com.au and .com, but it's still interesting stuff.

Cheers,
Chris

payattention

Archived Member
Use of .co makes me cringe and while .io is some what trendy, I don't think you can ever go past .com or .com.au if Australia only.

chris

Top Contributor
Yeah it does seem to be trendy doesn't it, but I prefer whateverapp, whateverhq rather than the .co or .io, but that's just me.

findtim

Top Contributor
isn't that link/list now completely out dated? now its .bmw , .microsoft etccccc

i can understand .co, i can understand .tv , i can understand .xxx for easy children blocking, but the rest are just rubbish unless the actual country takes it on like the australian community have done AND you live in the country, and thats why a .com.au has some value ( enter snoopy )

.com is still gold, everything else ( .au etc) is what you make of it, you may be a domainer but in the end your best profit is with the end user.

as chris said , its been said a million times, bring on the WIKI Ebook.

tim

chris

Top Contributor
isn't that link/list now completely out dated? now its .bmw , .microsoft etccccc

No, it's very current. It was updated yesterday, I think to add .io to their "gccTLD" list.

Of course you can tell Google what country you are targeting for any extension.

i can understand .co, i can understand .tv , i can understand .xxx for easy children blocking, but the rest are just rubbish unless the actual country takes it on like the australian community have done AND you live in the country, and thats why a .com.au has some value ( enter snoopy )

I think these are just the country codes that people have started using, but not sure how those particular extensions got on that list.

helloworld

Top Contributor
.tv is used a lot by media companies. I wouldn;t underestimate it. I have a 7 year old one. They're very brandable.

snoopy

Top Contributor

.com is still gold, everything else ( .au etc) is what you make of it, you may be a domainer but in the end your best profit is with the end user.

as chris said , its been said a million times, bring on the WIKI Ebook.

tim

.co is a nothing more than the 2012 version of .cc (which was flavour of the month as a cool hip alternative to .com about 10-12 years ago). The only reason a very small % will use .co is it hasn't had long enough to completely bomb out yet. Wait 5 more years of people using it then realising what a mistake it was (like o.co).

.tv has been a great way to lose money domaining for a very long time.

The whole list is trash extensions.

helloworld

Top Contributor
Buying .tv domians to resell is a waste of coin. But as I said, still brandable for end users who can't get the .com

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo