What's new

Full page AUDA advert in the Australian

domainlover

Top Contributor
Did any body see the full page AUDA advert on the back page of the Australian today? it says .au is Australias home on the internet and do you .au ? I wonder how much the advert cost ?

James

Top Contributor
A fair bit easy around 100k range probably less...Don't think they are regular media buyers too so costs more if it was done privately and not via an agency.

Ash

Top Contributor
Wouldn't be far from it... company I work for pays about $2-3k for quarter page in the guts of the paper and we advertise regularly, so the casual rate would be a bit more. Back cover is worth a lot is my guess.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
As auDA members, how do you feel about YOUR MONEY being used for this?

Maybe AUDA might be in need of some fresh new blood in its management and the way they manage the .au space? This is advertisement is a total waste of money. In more detail look here at how the money from your auda domain reg fees is being spent. There seems to be overspending on things and is the AUDA foundation really worthwhile and for whose benefit really ?? http://www.dntrade.com.au/auda-budgets-t2813.html

Last edited:

James

Top Contributor
$100,000 for a one day ad in the back page?

find out yourself from the paper just ring up/email and ask for the rate card for the back page, probably booked a long way in advance.

Newspaper ads are not cheap especially Saturday.

Also costs more if you are not buying via an agency as they have lower rates and buy in bulk.

Honan

Top Contributor
Meanwhile, GoDaddy had a sexy prime time TV ad after the footy on channel 10 today

Mike Robertson

Top Contributor
Meanwhile, GoDaddy had a sexy prime time TV ad after the footy on channel 10 today

I saw one of their ads when I was at the gym, probably 2-3 weeks ago, haven't seen another since though. I wonder how aggressive they are going to be here and whether they'll get into the .au space.

Honan

Top Contributor
I saw one of their ads when I was at the gym, probably 2-3 weeks ago, haven't seen another since though. I wonder how aggressive they are going to be here and whether they'll get into the .au space.
Eh Mike
I have asked Bob for you
Sometimes he is a bit slow replying

snoopy

Top Contributor
I think it is probably a waste of money. Very few businesses in Australia use anything else (other than .com.au) so who are they marketing to?

Honan

Top Contributor
I think it is probably a waste of money. Very few businesses in Australia use anything else (other than .com.au) so who are they marketing to?
Who are Godaddy's Australian TV adverts marketing to, considering they don't offer .au ?

snoopy

Top Contributor
Who are Godaddy's Australian TV adverts marketing to, considering they don't offer .au ?

All the people who currently don't use their product, which is most because most use .com.au. Not saying Godaddy is necessarily going to make a profit from those ads, but there is fairly obviously a market to go after.

With .com.au I can imagine it making sense for a registrar to advertise to gain market share, but the administrator or registry have most of the market share already so I really doubt it is going to provide a positive ROI. This would be akin to Verisign or Icann advertising .com in the US, why would they?

What customers does AUDA hope to woo, the small percentage who use something other than .com.au in Australia?

DavidL

Top Contributor
Anyone have a copy of the ad? Would love to see it.

My initial thoughts are it sounds like a lot of money for such a untargeted audience. I would rather see the following:

$3K spent though a respectable independent pollster asking everyday Australians a couple of questions like : "If I told you my Australian business was called Fred's Plumbing, if you had to guess the website address do you think it would be a) fredsplumbing.com, b)fredsplumbing.net.au, c) fredsplumbing.com.au or d) fredsplumbing.biz"

As we all know the response would be overwhelmingly com.au. This 'hard data' could then be used to help market .au to very specific targets - SMEs. Prove to them what we all know that if you're marketing to Australians you're doing your company a huge disservice to use anything other than .au.

You could follow up with a $10K spend targeting these businesses in relevant SME publications

Spend a further $30K over 12 months on Adwords for when people search 'domain name' Currently Godaddy are spending big in this area as well as other non Aussie registrars.... surely if it's worthwhile for them to do it would be for auDA?

johno69

Top Contributor
I bought my first domain from GoDaddy.

Have used them ever since, never had a reason to move away for my TLDs.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo