What's new

FashionReview.com.au

jpt

Hi All,

So I'm wondering what the value of my website Australian Fashion Review - FashionReview.com.au would potentially be?

It was first developed in 2007.

Your thoughts please!

BenWalker

Top Contributor
Hi JPT,

In order to provide a ball park figure, you would need to let us know
1. Traffic stats
2. Monthly Revenue

jpt

BenWalker

1. Traffic - lets say an average of around 550 uniques a day with around 2 pages/visit.
2. Revenue - for the last four months of 2012 (Sep to Dec) the site had ad-revenues of around $1,400 (AUD) which was mainly from adsense and a little bit from affiliates.

In recent times, the site is updated weekly or bi-weekly with 1-2 posts max.

jpt

Thanks Duncan. Does anyone else have any indication?

I'm not sure if this is worth mentioning but at the sites peak back in 2010-2011, the site had three times more traffic (around 1,500 uniques a day) and around four times more revenues (around $1,500 a month), although 3-6 posts were made a week rather than 1-2 every fortnight. Essentially less time has been spent updating and developing the site which correlates with the decline. Not sure if this factors in anywhere though..

Would love to hear other peoples thoughts on this.

helloworld

Top Contributor
I don't think you can go off old data. A buyer is only interested in the past 6 months although it could be indicative of the sites potential.

Another problem you will face is the limited market for .au when competing with regularly updated sites.

Another problem I see in this case is that the ranking/traffic terms aren't immediately obvious. Fashion Review itself is pretty useless. Fashion on the other hand is decent.

My valuation of this site as is around $1500 but If it was mine I'd accept around $900 if I was looking to move on.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
With an established site like this that is 5 years old with a good domain, unique design, decent amount of traffic, quite a few inbound links, in an industry that's not going anywhere any time so I think you'd fetch far more than 10 times earnings.

I wouldn't be surprised if buyers were willing to pay $10,000+

Ashman

Top Contributor

I agree with Chris here. Not sure how "HelloWorld" arrived at his valuation of $900 - $1,400 but the website alone would cost more than that.

Good luck with whatever you do with it.

helloworld

Top Contributor
I am a web developer, it would cost a noob more than that, yes. I also worked in fashion publishing for about 8 years. Domain age has FA to do with anything. Industry myth.

Find a $10k buyer and I will eat my words.

Best of luck with the domain and site OP. I do hope you get good money. Please let us know if you cbf

duncan22

With an established site like this that is 5 years old with a good domain, unique design, decent amount of traffic, quite a few inbound links, in an industry that's not going anywhere any time so I think you'd fetch far more than 10 times earnings.

Would you pay $2,000 of your own money if offered the chance then Chris?

Chris.C

Top Contributor
If the site was in a niche I had an existing interest in HELL YES I would!

550 visitors a day!

Small businesses can be built on those sorts of volumes, let alone if you can actually bring any sort of SEO or marketing to the site to grow it.

Granted it is in the fashion niche which where value per visitors isn't super high, but still $2000 is chump change really to have an online asset like that.

Vogue, Cosmo, Marie Claire etc have built empires on reviewing fashion!

Most Australian marketing consultants and web designers charge out at $100 - $200/hour and 10 - 20 hours of their time ain't going to buy you 2% of this site's already established results.

It's worth more than $2000 even if you just wanted to redirect the site to somewhere else!

It would be worth that in links to an SEO company that managed some fashion accounts...

News media companies could use it to help drive visitors to their fashion writers columns on their primary sites.

Hey with a name like FashionReview.com.au a news media company could build it into its own primary fashion site.

I just did a site site search in Google of this site as well and it produced 4850 pages... can you imagine paying a content writer to produce all that content!

At the end of the day, sure the CEO of Vogue has bigger fish to fry, but any smart up and coming entrepreneur/designer in the fashion industry or and marketing manager at a small fashion label should be tripping over themselves to buy this sort of site for only $2000!

jpt

Valuations from <$1,000 to >$10,000 - i think this highlights the overarching issue of how hard it is to value a site (hence why i wanted to get peoples opinions!).

I think if you solely try to value a website based on its numerical metrics (i.e. revenue and visitors) it is often so misleading as all the 'soft' or qualitative metrics get ignored. Furthermore, if you base a site valuation on a revenue multiple, you are assuming that the site is optimised to generate financial gain - which in fact, may not be the focus of the site.

I built Fashion Review to become the biggest dedicated directory of Australian fashion brands in the world - as far as i know it has and continues to be up there. I know for a fact that Fashion Review has become a brand within itself - the multiple PR agencies contacting me daily proves that it has become a trusted resource which people want to get featured on....but I guess in the end of the day its whether any of this matters to the value of the site... I don't think there is a solid metric for accessing 'brand value'.

Ashman

Top Contributor
Valuations from <$1,000 to >$10,000 - i think this highlights the overarching issue of how hard it is to value a site (hence why i wanted to get peoples opinions!)...

... I don't think there is a solid metric for accessing 'brand value'.

So what monetary value would you place on the website, given that you already have a fair idea?

snoopy

Top Contributor
Why would anyone pay a high multiple for a blog site (ie relies on the owner writing content) that is also in decline? Then their is the issue of a limited buyer market because it is on a .com.au.

I think helloworld's opinion of value is more accurate than those saying $10,000+. Gut feeling is $1,500-$2,000.

snoopy

Top Contributor
I think if you solely try to value a website based on its numerical metrics (i.e. revenue and visitors) it is often so misleading as all the 'soft' or qualitative metrics get ignored. Furthermore, if you base a site valuation on a revenue multiple, you are assuming that the site is optimised to generate financial gain - which in fact, may not be the focus of the site.

I built Fashion Review to become the biggest dedicated directory of Australian fashion brands in the world - as far as i know it has and continues to be up there. I know for a fact that Fashion Review has become a brand within itself - the multiple PR agencies contacting me daily proves that it has become a trusted resource which people want to get featured on....but I guess in the end of the day its whether any of this matters to the value of the site... I don't think there is a solid metric for accessing 'brand value'.

This is all "emotional attachment" stuff. Buyer's don't care about this, they care about numbers.

acheeva

Top Contributor
I don't think there is a solid metric for accessing 'brand value'.

Yes there is, it is called revenue

A brand has value when it generates revenue due to market recognition

jpt

So what monetary value would you place on the website, given that you already have a fair idea?

Whatever the market is willing to pay for it is the monetary value. It doesn't matter if I say £1,000 or £100,000, it's only what a buyer thinks.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo